PDA

View Full Version : blotting paper???

Cherlin
05-02-2007, 12:41 PM
gathering my list of calligraphy tools and it states to use 3 sheets of blotting paper under all my works to give it the proper feel . it says the paper is *spongy* , up until i read that i was going to use a few sheets of standard watercolor paper thinking that would work right.

since i have never seen this paper, would it be at Staples? i saw some foam board in Dick Blicks the other day, would that be it? the spongy word got me :o

PVHooper
05-02-2007, 01:16 PM
I can categorically say that I have absolutely no idea. I use quite thick paper to draw on and therefore need a firm background otherwise I don't get a clear mark.

MonicaB
05-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Hi Cherlin. I moved your post to the Calligraphy subforum, so it would get answered by the calligraphy experts. :D

Merry Scribe
05-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Cherlin I use the board that you mentioned and it works just fine. As a matter of fact I proffer to use the board because it is fermer than paper. I also use a rubber plotter that I bought at Office Max and it works well also. For my larger pieces I use the rubber plotter just because it also acts as a protecter of my wood work table I have an ajustable work table that adjusts from 0 degress of flat to 45 degress because it is need to do calligraphy. An this table is a very nice wood table so I bought the rubber plotter mostly to protect my table. By the way the blotter is clear rubber so it does not cover up the beauty of my table. Part of doing calligraphy is having a work area that is pleasing to the eye so you can do calligraphy well. In that calligraphy mean the art of beautiful writing.

Blessed Be

Brian

P.S. I hope that I helped you out and answered you question. If you are really interested in the art of calligraphy you might want to check out my calligraphy tutorial. The next hand we will be doing will be Uncial.

Cherlin
05-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Merry

BLEH!!i hate you!!
i have no space for anything like what you have, i can only dream!! i look at all the beautiful drafting boards and desks and boards that are huge and tilt and i look at my little clip board and cry!! i also use that in my bedroom in the middle of the night. i wake up and cant sleep and grab something to draw with or write with and away i go. i keep a few ready with different pieces of paper for whatever mood i am in to use. I love clip boards!!

if i told you what i used during the day you would laugh!! i only wish i could someday have something even similar to what you have *sigh*

woe is me!

:D

quaeredeo
05-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Having a beautiful work area is wonderful. But I find that the work I do at night, in bed, on a sketch pad, with poor light, when I can't sleep -- is what builds into the works that actually please me. And, the clip board that I draw on while sitting in the living room with my husband when he is watching football or something else that drives me to the screaming heebie-jeebies -- well, it's part of the process also. Then I go to my own little "art world" -- a happy little reclaimed kitchen table and small dresser in a corner of the family room -- and I get lost in bringing all the other pieces together. I do art because it is in me, I can't NOT do it. How and where and with what and on what is secondary. I expect it's the same with most of us.
:thumbsup:

Cherlin
05-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Sounds like we work out the same way. except my little area is in the living room. i have a converted embroidery stand that now holds a sketch pad board ( the kind with two handles next to each other) . instead of holding up the embroidery hoop it holds up the board. on the board i have all my drawing/painting items i need for that project. The stand is placed on the side of my recliner and it is the type that turns to you from the side. For the weight i have a cheap tripod supporting the other side of the drawing board, i try to keep both sides kinda even. on the side of the recliner is a coffee table loaded with more supplies, on the sides of the table and under it are more supplies. the corner of the living room looks like a bag lady lives their , but it works!! fortunately everyone that comes over finds it funny versus a ugly mess. it is nothing like Merry's though. i would love to have her set up one day, i can dream!!:cat:

rain24
06-01-2007, 02:04 PM
http://www.paperinkarts.com/shop.html

Go under "supplies" then "Miscellaneous Paper" and you'll find blotting paper. For practice, their gridded pads are great and I highly recommend them.

~Rain

scribblet
06-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Reggie Ezell always had us put a pad or something soft underneath the paper we were writing on. Ewan clayton advised us to use a chamois cloth underneath or something similar, it certainly gave a different feel to the nib.

Penmoel
07-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Hello
No great need to go out of your way to purchase blotting paper, a few sheets of any paper will do, the only reason you need anthing is because you need a little bit of give as you press down on your paper with a nib. No big secret there, all the very best from Wales.:thumbsup:

Cherlin
07-31-2007, 09:52 AM
thank you that makes sense.:)

Cheryl