PDA

View Full Version : Drying paintings in the trunk of car

Cat0075
05-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Had a debate with some gal's I paint with every Tuesday.. 93 yesterday!!!! Some say they let there oil paintings dry in the trunk of the car a few weeks before taken them indoors to show family.. Now have to remember I live in the south and the trunk of the car can get well over 100 Degrees.
I said no way would I leave mine to dry in the trunk it would end up cracking.. Others say wouldn't hurt and never crack.. Never done any testing What do you think?
Plan to take topic next week to show the gals... We are all self taught, etc.
Cat

MikeN
05-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi,

What kind of paint? oil, acrylic, watercolor? Oils for example, dont "dry" they polymerize. With that in mind, they set faster when their is more oxygen around.

Other considerations: Expansion and contraction is rarlely good for paints on a support. The idea sounds risky to me.

Mike

perryjohnson
05-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Leaving a painting out in the sun for awhile will do more to "dry" it than heat. Mike is right, oils don't dry like watercolor - where the water merely evaporates.

hdbart27fl
05-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Hi,

Oils for example, dont "dry" they polymerize. With that in mind, they set faster when their is more oxygen around.

Mike

So, just throwing this out there... would putting them in a room with an ozone generator dry them faster? Safely?

H.

omywa
05-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Had a debate with some gal's I paint with every Tuesday.. 93 yesterday!!!! Some say they let there oil paintings dry in the trunk of the car a few weeks before taken them indoors to show family.. Now have to remember I live in the south and the trunk of the car can get well over 100 Degrees.
I said no way would I leave mine to dry in the trunk it would end up cracking.. Others say wouldn't hurt and never crack.. Never done any testing What do you think?
Plan to take topic next week to show the gals... We are all self taught, etc.
Cat
:cat: Hi there, Must be my day for writing. Sounds like that your friends have a ready made solor oven that they use to bake their paintings in. :lol: That's really creative. I wonder if it would work for self drying clay? Could be a fire hazard though as the temperture in the trunk of a vechile can reach above 200 degrees in the summer. Interesting :eek:

perryjohnson
05-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Could be a fire hazard though as the temperture in the trunk of a vechile can reach above 200 degrees in the summer. Interesting

The fuel tank is conveniently located to really speed up the oxidation process!

Cat0075
05-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the responses will be interesting to see what they say after reading what all of you wrote. :) Cat

lmcneel
05-03-2007, 09:38 PM
I typically allow my oil paintings to "dry" in the garage. In Houston during the summer, the garage can be quite hot.

Cat0075
05-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Actually I bring mine in then add thumbtacks, fishing line and hang on the wall near the computer till dry then varnish and frame.. that way dont have to worry about the dog, hub, kids knocking into it..gives me a chance to decide what frame as I shop frames online..