PDA

View Full Version : Another part of the creek

Old Tex
05-01-2007, 11:34 PM
I'll get past these creek images soon. This one was about color and light.

C&C welcome as always.

Gouache 5x7
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2007/100938-Creek_050107_WC.jpg

meglyman
05-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Another nice one!

This one doesn't pull me in like the last creek one - I think because this one has a calmer composition and it doesn't have that beautiful deep blue color (yeah, I'm a sucker for blue). But you certainly did a good job capturing the light & shadows. The colors are wonderful, especially how the blue in the sky and creek tie together. The reds in the shadows are just right, and I really like how you used red around the horizon / in the background. I love the lighting in the area between the creek and the horizon. Your sky rocks, as always.

Where are you in Texas? I might have to mosey over and visit you so I can watch how you paint. And take photos of all the nice scenery. :D

Meg

Seleeni
05-02-2007, 08:16 PM
That is gorgeous, Ralph. I love the burgundy brown throughout the painting. Can't find anything to critique!

Selene

Old Tex
05-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Meg, thanks! All those things were part of the experiment, and I feel pretty good about it. I really wanted to catch that light.

Selene, thank you! I'm glad you like this one.

I'm being encouraged by some folks to take a crack at oils, so I'm going to be doing some studying and evaluating where I want my art to go. Not to worry, though, I've got a fair little investment in some tubes of gouache, and I'm not about to let them go to waste. I really appreciate the encouragement I get from you guys.

Dale Ziegler
05-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Tex, Don't go to oils. Your work is so unique. It's different--so stick with it and make it your own, instead of becoming just another oil painter. MHO, Dale

Richard Saylor
05-17-2007, 03:16 AM
Do what you wish, Tex. Oils can make more profit than watercolors. (I hope you don't call your paintings 'gouache' to those who don't know or care what the heck gouache is. The major art magazines, not incorrectly, accept the term 'watercolor' for the gouache medium.)

Old Tex
05-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks, Dale! I appreciate the encouragement.

Richard, for the moment, I truly am doing what I want to do. I understand your point about oils vs watercolors, and yes, I find I do have to explain what gouache is. I've noticed that some refer to it as "opaque watercolor", which still requires an explanation to non-artists. But, you know... I think I just want to push it a bit further and just see what I can do. I really do appreciate your interest and comments, as I always do, and hope you'll continue to look and make suggestions. Thanks!