PDA

View Full Version : May Pastel Strokes

ElleZee
05-01-2007, 06:39 AM
Welcome to the May 2007 edition of PASTEL STROKES! Those who participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies, they are as follows:

• An individual volunteering to host the monthly project proposes to a guide or a moderator a new photo reference near the beginning of the month.
• The guide or moderator approves the host and reference photo and the selected host posts the project in Pastel Talk and also threads in the Soft Pastel and Oil Pastel forums with links to the Pastel Talk project link.
• Interested participants, create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for discussion.
• The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things! This is a friendly chance to share the creative venture. Feel free to have some fun!
• You can paint as many versions as you like and they can be any size.
• Both oilies and softies are invited to play.

Your photo reference for May is......KIWIS!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2007/67205-kiwi_sm.jpg

For a larger version go HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=72844&cat=500&ppuser=67205). Experiment and have fun! I hope you can join us this month!

Pat Isaac
05-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks for hosting, Lori. Looking forward to this image. I have stickied the thread.

Pat

hopalong
05-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Lori, you are fast up with the challange. I hope to participate thismonth. Thanks so much for hosting.

AnnieA
05-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks for hosting, Lori. This looks like a fun one! :)

sparkling
05-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Hi Lori, hi everybody :wave:,

I've been so lazy the last few weeks, but this month I decided that I simply have to take part in the challenge.

So here are my kiwis :lol:

Silvia

(Caran d'Ache oilpastels and white Lana drawing paper)

ElleZee
05-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi Lori, hi everybody :wave:,

I've been so lazy the last few weeks, but this month I decided that I simply have to take part in the challenge.

So here are my kiwis :lol:

Silvia

(Caran d'Ache oilpastels and white Lana drawing paper)

HOLY SMOKES, Silvia, you are fast!!!! :eek: Anything but lazy with this one!!! Awesome job with those oilies!!! :thumbsup: So happy you decided to join us.

wabbitt
05-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Mmmm, I love kiwis :)

WHOA! Awesome and fast, Silvia. Incredible job and gorgeous to boot!

Pat Isaac
05-01-2007, 04:41 PM
WOW,....I'l say you are quick and a great job on the kiwis. The colors are really heightened and just glow. What is white Lana drawing paper?

Pat

pequan
05-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Great project, thanks for doing it Lori
Silvia: how in the world did you get that done so quickly and so beautifully??
Linda

alija1001
05-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Great picture Silvia you must have been waiting for this challenge.
I will have a go I love kiwi fruit.
Great picture to do.

sparkling
05-02-2007, 02:11 PM
:wave:,

Thank you all very much, you're too generous with me :o!

Well Lori, it is actually my turn to thank you for choosing this image. Sorry that I haven't done this before. It's a really nice still life.

Pat: Lana is a French paper manufacturer, only that it is not as famous (and luckily not as expensive) as Arches.

Linda: My secret for being so fast was working small size! This drawing is only 6 x 8! But sh! Please don't tell anybody :lol: ;)

Gill: I had a day off yesterday - and much, much spare time.

:) Silvia

chrsalg
05-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi there every one, i hope to join in again this month, so thanks to you lori for being so quick of the mark.
silvia your art is fab, really great colours, they look good enough to eat. really really fantastic.
christine.

tyree
05-04-2007, 02:39 PM
silvia...that is so very lovely...like that violet colour in it!!! tyree :wink2: :clap: :clap:

ElleZee
05-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Well...I decided today was as good a day as any to try and break through my "slump". Just haven't been feelin' it the past few weeks. This one was nice to do, simple shapes, bright colours. Not too detailed. I had some fun with it. Still tweaking :D even after I took this photo, I tamed down the blue shadows a bit and dulled the greens down. Still deciding on changing the bg to yellow or orange....or maybe even blue? Any way,thought I'd take a pic before I totally ruin it...:lol:

Oil Pastel 8"x8" on black Art Spectrum (I think or Canson). Took about an hour.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2007/67205-kiwi_sm1.jpg

Pat Isaac
05-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Great piece, Lori. I'm glad you are out of your slump and it shows, nice color and detail. The texture looks like Canson and I like the background, but if you change it I wouldn't make it too dominant. I hope to get to this soon, but it is only the first week.

Pat

MSusie
05-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Hello All,
I'm hoping someone can help. Whenever I attempt to download the photo for Pastel Strokes I hit a wall. When I attempt to download it I get the following 2 types:
Art(*.art) or Bitmap(*.bmp). I've tried both formats and neither works for me. But when someone uses a .jpeg file I have no problem. What am I doing wrong? Do I not have the right kind of software or what? I do not have Photoshop but I have Paint Shop Pro 7 and the usual MS stuff which I use successfully all the time. I have been copying the pix to word, then printing it to get the picture into .jpg from my scanner.

Any suggestions? Now that I'm able to hold onto things and paint after my accident I'd like to get a move on ... any help you all can give me will be most appreciated! If I'm not in the right place for this if one of our experts would kindly move my question to the right forum I will be thankful! Have a great day!

Marie

MSusie
05-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Lori ... Your PS rendition looks good enough to eat! You made good use of the paper color ... looks like Canson. Lovely, it you are still tweeking as you mentioned I can't wait to see the finished version.

Marie

Pat Isaac
05-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Hi Marie,

All I do is drag the image to my desktop and then open it from there.

Pat

pequan
05-06-2007, 08:35 PM
weather here today was horrible so I had the time to paint for fun! here's my rendition.

ElleZee
05-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi Marie :wave: have you tried the Reference Image Library? I have it in there also. It is a .jpeg, so I would think it should work for you??? Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions. I could try to PM it to you? Let me know if you'd like to try that.

Linda - LOOKS FAB! I really like the greenish lowlights you used on the uncut kiwis. Nicely done!!!! :clap: Are you using softies or OPs? and how big is the final work?

Pat Isaac
05-07-2007, 07:30 AM
Those kiwis are just great Linda. Nice detail.

Pat

pequan
05-07-2007, 08:32 AM
thanks Pat and Lori.... I did this on 800 grade sand paper??? something new our gallery/studio/lesson place is trying out... not the usual paper, very difficult to use...hard to blend without making mud on the first swipe of a finger...but I like the way the softies blend together without using fingers .. wondering if the pastel will continue to stick to the paper.. haha ... I am not sure this paper has a ton of tooth to it either.. oh the finished work is about 11 x 14 I think..has anyone else used this paper? there is an 800, 600 and 400 grade, and they are treated with something so they won't yellow? looking forward to seeing everyone's kiwi's...

flyfisherflyfisher1
05-07-2007, 09:20 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2007/103550-kiwi.jpg
This is a quickie. Thought I'd try and make an attempt at this one.
It's still in work so any thoughts are appreciated. C/C welcome.
I forgot the stem in the cut one colors are not as loud as I'd like.
8X10 Canson w/ Remingtons and Nupastels. It looks like it got washed out by the flash.
I was also working from a color printed copy from work that I printed out.
Thanks for looking,
Pete:o

Pat Isaac
05-07-2007, 09:57 AM
This is coming along nicely, Pete. I really like your use of color. If you turn off your flash you might get a better picture.

Pat

pequan
05-07-2007, 10:22 AM
nice Pete, I like the colors and the softness of it
Linda

flyfisherflyfisher1
05-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks, I'm probably going to change the cut ones shape a little and maybe
brighten it up , add the stem spot on the cut one. I could change the
browns a little.

alija1001
05-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi I have just finnished this today. Hope you like it. Like what everyone else has done. C&C welcomehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2007/78136-Kiwi_Fruit_in_pastels.jpg

prestonsega
05-07-2007, 11:35 AM
I thought I would take a shot at this image...approx 9" x 12"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2007/29946-maykiwi.jpg

sparkling
05-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Lori, I like the way your painting looks now. No need to change the background. The structure of the paper makes your painting look like painted on canvas. Nice effect :thumbsup:

Ah, Pete, lovely :clap:! Finally someone else thinking pink :)!

Gill, nice :). Why not add some shadows to the plate, too?!

Preston, how did you do that background :eek: WOW!

alija1001
05-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi I have added some more colour to the plate and the table.
Hope you like it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2007/78136-Kiwi_Fruit_in_pastels_1.jpg

Pat Isaac
05-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Wonderful, Preston. I like the nice warm feeling and use of complements. Kiwis are a tropical fruit....:lol:

Very nice Gill and I like the addition of color on the plate.

Pat

MSusie
05-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Pat and Lori thank you for your suggestions. I will definitely give them a try.

I'm amazed at how different and lovely everyone's kiwi's are turning out! Can't wait to get started.

Marie

marie_d
05-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Nice work everyone, some lovely colour and styles.

Here is my rendition for this month.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2007/102905-kiwis_upload.jpg

Done on greyish Bugra pastel paper with w&n soft pastels. 8"x10"

Marie :)

marie_d
05-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Isn't it funny, you think you've finished a painting and then when you upload it you always see something that needs tweeking. I see I need more darker tones between the sliced fruit and around the base of the whole fruits. Will try and do it tomorrow.

pequan
05-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Alija: good start..I like the added color and would like to see you add even more..

Preston; WOW what vibrant color, I love it

Marie d; good job..you are so right, the second you see it on the monitor you know exactly what the painting needs....I usually am to lazy to change mine however.
Linda

MSusie
05-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Marie,
Isn't amazing what a picture shows you? So many times I felt a painting was finished and after viewing a photo of the painting I realize what else needs to be done. This is a tough one due to the arial perspective. Your painting has a great start, love the way you did the kiwi slices and especially the half kiwi in the middle ... you are right on about the molding of the whole fruits and the half. Can't wait to see your update. Also ... the color you used on the whole fruit really works. Bravo.

Another.
Marie

marie_d
05-08-2007, 04:06 AM
Linda - Thank you for your comments. I am terrible that if anything dosn't look right I have to fix it immediately no matter what it is. My hubby says I'm too fussy.:D

Marie - Wasn't sure about the colour of the whole fruit, not used to the shades of dark pastel colour yet, only been doing pastels since March and have a limited starter set of 36 w&n sp. I have inscribe pastels as well but they are only student quality ones, but I do combine them if I cant get a colour match with the w&n.

Will re-post some time later to-day

ElleZee
05-08-2007, 07:18 AM
This is a quickie. Thought I'd try and make an attempt at this one.
It's still in work so any thoughts are appreciated. C/C welcome.
I forgot the stem in the cut one colors are not as loud as I'd like.
8X10 Canson w/ Remingtons and Nupastels. It looks like it got washed out by the flash.
I was also working from a color printed copy from work that I printed out.
Thanks for looking,
Pete:o

That looks great, Pete! Thanks for joining in. I love how you rendered the seeds on the cut pieces and great texture on the skins :thumbsup: As for photographing your work, I usually take a couple with the flash and couple with out. Do you have a setting on your camera for different light conditions? Like incandescent, flourescent, daylight, etc? I find that makes a huge difference as well. I end up with usually 6 or 8 that I then choose the best from those :lol: ...got to love digital.

Oh, and as for the stem, no stem....not a contest to match the photo :D Edit, manipulate, redesign, as you like....it's your artwork. This is purely for inspiration and fun.

ElleZee
05-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Wow...they are coming in fast and furious now! I miss one day and look at the activity over here :o

Gill - Thanks for dropping in! The addition of the shadows to the plate and the bg colour was great advise! Nicely done.:)

Preston - I agree with Silvia....how did you get that background? Love the warmth of the piece. You captured a very old world quality to it. Please do share your bg method. I also like the mirrored image :thumbsup: Beautiful........seems a strange to say that about a kiwi :lol:

Marie - WOW! That looks awesome! Love that blue in your shadows. Great work.

marie_d
05-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for all your comments. Here is my tweaked version. The second version is the update. I have darkened around the slices and slightly altered the inside of the half fruit to elongate the centre a bit. Darkened the base of the whole fruits and added a warm tint to them. Cant do anything else with it now, no tooth left, I dont want to start spraying it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2007/102905-kiwis_upload.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2007/102905-kiwisupload6_006.jpg

Marie:)

prestonsega
05-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Preston - I agree with Silvia....how did you get that background?

Thanks so much, ya'll for the great comments.....when working on any composition, landscape or stilll life, I repeat the colors in the background and / or foreground that I use on my subject, scumbling so as to unify the color comp .....with multiple layers...its a back and forth technique till I get the colors I desire. BTW...this painting was on recycled Wallis...I have already brushed this painting away...going to see how many paintings I can get out of one sheet of Wallis.

Pat Isaac
05-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Isn't Wallis great for that, Preston.....make sure you don't brush away a masterpiece..:lol:
I like the tweaked version, Marie. the fruits sit down better now.

Pat

marie_d
05-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Silvia - good finish with the op's, love the way you have done the wood effect for the table.

Lori - Nice painting, I agree with Pat. I wouldnt change the background colour either, the colour you have now makes the fruit stand out more.

Linda - Lovely painting, like the beige foreground, fruit stands out nice against the background.

Pete - Nice rendition, I had trouble with my flash today, kept getting a purple cast.

Gill - Nice improvement, very good.

Preston - Wow, lovely background, very 'old masters' look to it, beautiful warm glow.

Pat - Thanks for the comments, I think it looks better as well.

lacey sprocket
05-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Here's mine! Done pretty quickly, in oils on 8.5x11 white paper. I haven't done a still life since school, I may have to start getting back into it a little, this was fun and relaxing. I did a little goofing around with the color for a less literal approach. Hope you enjoy!

Pat Isaac
05-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Just great Lacey and I like your take on the color. Experimenting is good.
What kind of paper is it that you are using?

Pat

lacey sprocket
05-08-2007, 08:11 PM
The paper is just my little book-bound black sketchbook. It's made by Cachet acording to the embosing on the back. Glad you like it!

winecountry
05-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Last week the astronomers found a supernova unlike anything they ever saw happen...maybe this rather cosmic view of the kiwi is influenced by that...Kiwi Worlds Collide...8x3" mixed pastels on white colorfix....look hard you can find where I cropped it from!

My Best,
Colleen

winecountry
05-09-2007, 12:18 AM
loove the soft color and quiet technique...lovely marie D...don't know how to get this comment under her work...
colleen

tyree
05-09-2007, 12:31 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2007/65063-kiwi_1.jpg yes ...thats right...my kiwis are purply:p this is op's on some cheapo paper:wink2: having a time right now with my computer..extremely slow dialup:mad: ...but... i am enjoying seeing the creativity of everyones work!!!:heart: tyree

cairomum
05-09-2007, 02:11 AM
Marie, I've just popped over from the Scavenger Hunt to see your work and I have to say it's fantastic!! Well done!! Those kiwis look good enough to eat!
This is a really interesting thread. I'm amazed that there are so many varieties and styles from a single reference photograph.
My own pastels are sitting neglected in a drawer here...I have so much on at the moment...but I can hear them calling me!! I might just be back!!
Wonderful work everyone!
Cairomum

ElleZee
05-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Marie - It just keeps getting better and better! I like what you've done with the cut kiwi on the last photo.

Lacey - Love the bold stokes of colour. Especially like that cross hatching in the shadows. Great work!

Colleen - KEWL!!!! :cool: That is a great crop! I love the abstract quality....an it does have that cosmic look to it.

Tyree - So happy you could join in! Looking purply perfect!!! I love the hint of purple in there.....always neat to see what colours other people pick up in their work. Also really like the scratching marks for the seeds....nicely done!!!

Here is mine again....tweaked a bit more from the other day. Don't know if it's better or worse....but it is what it is.:rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2007/67205-kiwifinal_sm.jpg

winecountry
05-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I like the changes...very nice realism
colleen

sparkling
05-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Linda, sorry, I just noticed that I forgot your painting in my previous post :o (shame on me). Well it's looking gorgeous :clap:- if only I could see it full sized. (For some reason I can see the thumbsize only).

Tyree, you're always doing such bright, bold and colorful paintings :thumbsup: with your little set of cheapies. When are you going to invest into a bigger set of oilpastels?

Marie: wonderful soft realism. Well done :thumbsup:

Lacey: coloristic and impressive. Very nice :)

Ah, Colleen: The galactic kiwi. What a great idea :D! "You boldly went where no kiwi painter had gone before" ;)

Gill: I agree with what has been said. It's looking better now, but you could add even more color to the background :thumbsup:

pequan
05-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Lacey: very "island" like......vibrant and alive
Colleen: I love the crop!! great idea!!!!
tyree: purple being my favorite color, what can I say, I love those kiwis
Lori: what a good job, kiwis look so real, and to do that on Canson paper isn't easy.
Sylvia: thanks for the comment, I don't know why it is only thumbnail size and I certainly do not know how to fix it. I brought the painting to a critque group I attend, (today), and they agreed with me, need to darken the centers and I think I will over come my lazyiness and do that.....

lacey sprocket
05-09-2007, 03:29 PM
I totally love the galactic kiwi!
And the one by Tyree is right up my alley, with it's vibrant, non-local colors! You should get a set of cray-pas Expressionists, they're really affordable, and great quality.
Lori, you're one heck of a good realist.
I just love checking in to see what everyone has come up with! My inspiration is running on overdrive.

Pat Isaac
05-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Good grief, just miss a day and look what happens....

Colleen...what a great crop, love the abstract quality.
Tyree....great color and a wonderful painterly feel.
Pat

marie_d
05-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments.

lacey - Good painting, nice use of colour, like the hatching.

Colleen - Good reverse and crop, makes an interesting composition. You certainly have the cosmic feel to it.

tyree - Another nice vibrant rendition.

Cairo - Come on, have a bash.

Lori - Nice version,its worked well, more blue tint in the background, green tint on fruit and more detail top of fruit, very good.

Pat Isaac
05-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Lori, great realism and I love the texture of the kiwi skins that you have achieved.

Pat

tyree
05-09-2007, 05:14 PM
thanks everyone...for such nice comments..one day ...ill get some non-cheapy supplies:p lori...that is a beautiful work...so well done!!! tyree :wave:

MadMaddy
05-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Well here is my contribution to the group. I haven't done a still life in years, this was lots of fun. I really enjoyed playing with the colors, though in posting this I see that the plate is not quite right; the lip is wider at the the top then at the bottom. Looks like i have a little repair work to do.

This is 12" x 18" on Colorfix, done with Sennelier Oil pastels.

Pat Isaac
05-10-2007, 04:29 PM
OOOOH, how nice, Lara. Those colors really sing and the fruits are perfect.

Pat

prestonsega
05-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Marie,...you nailed the natural colors!:clap:

prestonsega
05-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Laire and Tyree.....you both have produced fresh crisp and painterly works that I whole heartidly:clap:

lacey sprocket
05-10-2007, 10:12 PM
I like the blue plate! It really sets of the lime green.

winecountry
05-11-2007, 01:33 AM
love the colors!
Colleen

marie_d
05-11-2007, 03:34 AM
Lara - What a lovely rendition, love the colours, especially the blue.

RooGal
05-11-2007, 08:48 AM
My apologies. I had committed to doing the April Pastel Strokes and was dissappointed when I had to pack up my pastels for a few weeks. Now that I can get them out again I was glad to get in on this month.

Worked on this yesterday and thought I was making good progress when I realized that the center kiwi is too small for those slices to have come from. Ah well, hopefully a lesson learned.

I love that blue plate Lara. I had been toying with making the plate a different colour as well, but had been thinking more along the lines of yellow or red. or a pattern along the rim? any suggestions?

Anyway, this is as far as I am at the moment. Feels good to get my hands dusty again. C&C always appreciated, always needed.

Cheers,
Pam

Pat Isaac
05-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Glad you are back with the dusties, Pam. Nice rendition of the kiwis. I'd go for a pattern on the plate.

Pat

MadMaddy
05-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Pam, blue was sort of an automatic choice for me. i never even thought of another color. perhaps the reddish brown and green of the fruit influenced that choice. I like the idea of the pattern and i toyed with that idea as well. If i were to do one, i would try and do one that contrasted to the roundness of the fruits and the plate. Something sort of geometric maybe. Just a thought, and it looks great so far along with everyone elses.
Preston, i am with everyone else, i love the background in yours, it has such an old feel to it.

prestonsega
05-11-2007, 02:46 PM
.........."was dissappointed when I had to pack up my pastels for a few ...
Pam...don't you hate it when life interferes with your art.......we've all been there.
The important thing is you are back with a terrific start on this still life.

ElleZee
05-12-2007, 07:31 AM
Lara - Gorgeous work! I love the blue plate, well done! :clap: I was considering a different bg as well, but chickened out once I had gone so far. So happy you saw it right from the start.

Pam - Glad you are back at it! Great job with those rascally kiwis :thumbsup: I had the same problem with that cut one not looking like the pieces could have come from it. I tried stretching it out after I noticed. Don't know if it worked but hey, like you said, chalk it up as a lesson learned. I agree with Pat, a pattern would be fun and interesting on that plate. Make sure to post your update!

Tracy Lewis
05-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Hello, and thank you for the motivation your thread gave me. Here is my effort. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2007/101106-scan0015.jpg :wave: :wink2:

Tracy Lewis
05-12-2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2007/101106-scan0017.jpg

I have played about with my sketch a little. Here is the finished piece. I had a lot of fun with this. well done on the topic.:clap: :thumbsup:The bit of white on the top kiwi is a "paint" error while I was trying to resize it.:confused: :mad: never mind

Pat Isaac
05-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Very nice Tracy, and welcome. :wave: I like the light on the top of the Kiwis.

Pat

pequan
05-12-2007, 08:12 PM
really nice Tracy, love the plates in both renditions
good job Pam

ElleZee
05-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi Tracy :wave: welcome to Club Kiwi :D

Your updated version is wonderful! I really like the depth you achieved on the plate. Very 3D.....and love the tighter crop, as well. :thumbsup:

Yellie
05-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Hello to you all!

This is my 1st post on WC and first painting since the birth of my youngest. With a busy job and two little children there is always something else to do. Missed it a lot though and this thread was just what I needed to start painting again. Thank you!

Greetings,
Mariëlle

Pat Isaac
05-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Wonderful painting, Marielle, and it looks as if you never stopped painting. I really like the texture on the kiwis, can really feel the rough skin.

Pat

prestonsega
05-13-2007, 02:13 PM
I have finally had time to review all the great interpretations of this neat still life..

Sylvia..I like you use of the blue/violet in the shadow of the yellow/orange Kiwi skin.

Lori...my hat is of to anyone who can tame Canson.. The blue/green shadowed side of the Kiwi is a nice touch!

LInda....I thought your painting was a photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Pete...Your shadwos are singing my song...I love the violet/purples.

Gill...You have a great start. I would sugesst trying to get more pigment on the paper.....Perhaps misting it with fixative will give you more tooth.

Marie ...the slices are so real looking tha my mouth literally started watering!

Lacey....I immediately thought of Matisse when I saw your painting.....I like the linear work.

Colleen.......I have nover breen this intimate with a Kiwi.....lol....but it feels great!!!

Lara ........The compliomentary color combination you have uses really works for you.

Pam....your drawing skills are good....perhaps pushing the darks would "punch it up" a bit.

Tracy........I, lke you, was prompted to get in gear and paint!!!!

Marieelle.....I love the mottled effect of the background.

winecountry
05-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Pam...great to get back in after a dry spell, no matter what the reason, Tracy, I like how you changed the perspective, it makes a great composition
colleen

pequan
05-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Marielle: fabulous painting, love the tecture...nice technique
Preston: thanks for your comments!
_____
Linda

marie_d
05-14-2007, 05:31 AM
Pam - Nice painting, maybe a little more dark tones would lift it a little. Very good.

Tracey - Nice effect, better cropped composition, plate looks deep, and nice sizing on the half fruit. Well done.

Preston - Thank you for you comments. I was more happier with my second posting when added the warmer and darker tones.

Yellie - Fantastic fruit skins, lovely painting, nice dappled effect on the plate.

lacey sprocket
05-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Yellie - super awesome texture! How did you do that? Are those oils or soft?

Yellie
05-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks Lacey! Really love your kiwis too and wish I was brave enough for such a free and personal representation.
I used Craypas Specialist on Colourfix. With different brown shades I made little scratches criss-cross over the skin and partially blended them with a blending stump.

CM Neidhofer
05-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Here's my kiwis! I enjoyed doing this month's project as much as last month. Very quick work for me, again. Soft pastels on 9 x 12 terrra cotta Colourfix.

Christine

RooGal
05-15-2007, 10:22 PM
:wave: Thanks to everyone for your comments. I am very bad with names, but hope to learn as I go along. Please bear with me. I have tried to take some of your direction and pushed the darks a bit more. This is what they keep telling me in the D&S forum :D . I hope this has improved from my previous post.

I have tried a few things for a pattern around the rim of the plate, from just straight lines, to greek keys. I have found it difficult to follow the curve and so the pattern just became wonkier. This is how it stands for now, sans the pattern :( .

My mutt just finished off my last kneadable eraser, so it has been difficult to clean up the edges. And I need to do better with the edges where different colours meet.
Cheers,
Pam

I forgot to put materials: Rembrandt and Sennelier soft pastels on Canson (smooth side).

Pat Isaac
05-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Love the color of those kiwis, Christine.
Nice finish, Pam. Ate your kneadable???

Pat

lacey sprocket
05-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Hmmm, I may have to try this blending stump thing. I've always blended with the back of my fingernail, or with other colors.
Yellie, sure you're brave enough! Just try whatever you want, if you don't like it, throw it out (or save it, failed starts make great underpaintings).
Pam, it's looking good! Mmmmmm...chewy kneadable.
Christine, I like 'em cuz they're bright! Thats a really cool color of orange-brown.

pequan
05-16-2007, 12:02 PM
roogal, love that bowl....great job

ElleZee
05-17-2007, 06:17 AM
Hello to you all!

This is my 1st post on WC and first painting since the birth of my youngest. With a busy job and two little children there is always something else to do. Missed it a lot though and this thread was just what I needed to start painting again. Thank you!

Greetings,
Mariëlle

Marielle, we are very pleased you were able to find the time in your busy schedule to come and play with us! :D Great job, BTW! You really managed to catch the texture on the skins and I love the effect you did on the plate itself. Beautiful!:clap:

ElleZee
05-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Christine - It's always nice to do up a quick one, with simple details and shapes now and again. I find it gets your creative side going. Lovely job on them. :thumbsup:

Pam - Great plate/bowl! You acheived a nice depth to it with your shadows. Well done!:clap:

GaryNorthants
05-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Well since I have been made so welcome I thought I'd jump in at the deep end and join you here too with a WIP:)
Being more of a meat pie and pint of beer man I don't find fruit terribly inspiring so had to mess things up a bit in photoshop with this. I only had about an hour to play tonight so expect some serious tweaks and adjustments to come but thought I'd share my interpretation with you. Still waiting for my new colours to arrive with the post on Monday I hope. I discovered tonight I am short of cool greens and darker shades of everything in general so more eager than ever to get my new supplies.
It's only little, about 14cms x 21cms on dark brown Ingres and mostly Inscribe pastels
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2007/106728-Kiwi_WIP_1.jpg

Gary :wave:

Pat Isaac
05-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Nice crop, Gary and I like your colors.

Pat

ElleZee
05-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Excellent crop Gary! I really love how you managed to create a wet look on that centre slice! Awesome work and I'll be looking for the update. So glad you were able to join us.....even though it wasn't a meat pie and a cool pint :evil: :D

Pabs
05-22-2007, 06:17 AM
Yeah - I like this one, and have decided that it will be the first one for me to have a go at, and hopefully get a picture of it on the thread.
Is there a time limit on these things; we are on holiday for the first two weeks in June in Cancun, so I hope to have it done by then.
Regards,
Pabs

pequan
05-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Gary: great painting....colors are wonderful and the crop is really eye appealing.

_____
Linda

GaryNorthants
05-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the kind replies. I have a day off today and my new set of pastels has arrived. I'll post a snap of the retouched version later. Bye for now
Gary

Tracy Lewis
05-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi Gary, liked your work. Can I ask where do you get your colours from. If you get them via the web, would you mind giving me the address?
I need some new shades, but my local shop are very very low on pastels :(
Thanks Tracy

GaryNorthants
05-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi again,
Well I have stopped myself before I go too far. It's amazing what you see once to take a photo and view it on the monitor, there are a few lines here and there I'll tidy up, but overall I want to leave it as is. Hi Tracy my secret supplier is Ebay lol Attached a thumbnail of my new set that I bought for £20 and have used today to do this. There are still some more sets on there at the same price too.
Gary
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2007/106728-kiwis_downsized.jpg

Tracy Lewis
05-22-2007, 02:43 PM
O.m.g! That Is Amazing!

marie_d
05-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Christine - Like your vibrant kiwis, lovely colour.

Pam - Love the plate and the shadows, creates nice depth.

Gary - Nice tweeking, love the crop. I have only been using pastels for about two months and started with the Inscribe pastels as well. I had the large box with the half sticks, I found some of them were hard and gave a scratchy finish so I bought a set of softer W&N . Its only a box of 36 though and not really enough shades to be satisfied with. You got a great bargain there with your new pastels, what make are they?

GaryNorthants
05-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi again and thank you for your kind comments.
Marie - They're Gallery by Mungyo, semi hard pastels, about the same as my Derwent pastel pencils. I have promised to treat myself to some good quality soft pastels soon though and will be reading closely the opinions of the masters here for guidance.
When I was playing with pastels years ago I tried making my own. If I remember rightly I used gum tragacanth, chalk and pigment. They were so soft you could easily paint them on your skin! I made a whole load of them, mostly in fleshy tones. I then faced a major problem in trying to use them as they seemed to just flow everywhere and I couldn't combine them with my existing set of conte crayons I was using. Perhaps if I had been working on a sanded surface instead of canson paper, which was all I had at the time, then things may have been different.
Gary

Eirl
05-25-2007, 07:43 AM
What lovely Kiwis to enjoy. Here is my contribution done on black paper. As ever C and C most welcome. Elizabethhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2007/97712-wckiwis.jpg

Pat Isaac
05-25-2007, 08:08 AM
That is some set of pastels, Gary. Nice finish to your kiwis.
Lovely soft muted colors, Elizabeth.

Pat

Pabs
05-25-2007, 10:18 AM
OK people - this is my very first work on WC, so I hope it loads up properly, and like everyone else, I would like all your honest comments - good and bad!!

The work is done on Canson Mi-Teintes using Winsor & Newton Soft Pastels, fixed with W&N fixative. It is approx 10"x9" and took me just under 40 mins to complete. Is that all the info needed?

Regards,

Pabs
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2007/103619-2007_0526Fruit0001.JPG

ElleZee
05-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Gary - That is a great finish!!!! Love the translucent quality you captured with the cut slices...very well done!

Elizabeth - Lovely colours and I really like the loose line work. Well done!

Pabs - WELCOME!!!! Great job! :thumbsup: You have a very beautiful blending quality on those uncut kiwis and the cut slices really bring focus.

Pabs
05-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks Lori. I've ben waiting for a reply or comment from someone since posting, almost like a child on Xmas Eve!!!!! (Forgive me, it's my first time!!)
Thanks for the comments, and I will eagerly look forward to joining in more on this kind of thread, it's a great way to look and learn, watching other people tackle the same subject, but seeing how we all interpret things differently.
Regards,
Pabs

Pat Isaac
05-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Nice job, Pabs. the color in the cut kiwis make them look juicy...

Pat

ElleZee
05-28-2007, 06:35 AM
Thanks Lori. I've ben waiting for a reply or comment from someone since posting, almost like a child on Xmas Eve!!!!! (Forgive me, it's my first time!!)
Thanks for the comments, and I will eagerly look forward to joining in more on this kind of thread, it's a great way to look and learn, watching other people tackle the same subject, but seeing how we all interpret things differently.
Regards,
Pabs

I know what you mean about the comments back :lol: sorry I was a bit late on the reply :o ...but very nice work and I do hope you join in again. These projects and challenges are always a lot of fun.

P.S. Pabs...I PM'd you about something else, so check your messages.:D

Pabs
05-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks Pat - I really appreciate your comments and support.
Lori - I've checked my PM's and you're right, it does seem like fun, but I will get to know the thread a little more before taking part. It will be a good couple of weeks as we go away on holiday soon, so I will miss probably the next 3 or maybe 4 weekend's events. Hopefully I may get a chance to have a go at the next pastel challenge before we go.
I will look forward to talking again soon.
Regards,
Pabs

pequan
05-29-2007, 08:54 PM
great job Pabs....great depth on the dish/bowl
eril: nice rendition love the background

Pat Isaac
05-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Lori, thanks so much for hosting this month. I started the kiwis, but too much was going on and I didn't get a chance to finish. Maybe over the summer and I'll post then.

Pat

ElleZee
05-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks Pat! Hosting was definately fun! I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

I'd be interested to see your kiwis whenever you get them finished. I do believe it is ok for others to post to this thread after May, correct? Just so no one feels shy about it. So even if it's late, we still want to see them!!!! P-L-E-A-S-E!!!

I can hardly wait for tomorrow to see what we have for June!!!!:D

RooGal
05-31-2007, 05:57 PM
I can hardly wait for tomorrow to see what we have for June!!!!:D

:lol: It seems I'm jumping the gun. It's already the 1st of June here, so I logged on to see the new reference. Rats, forgot about the dateline. :(

sundiver
06-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Wonderful work everyone!
I have the image saved and printed but have been so busy. Still hoping....