PDA

View Full Version : Portrait

Seleeni
04-30-2007, 09:40 PM
OK, I don't really know what I'm doing here. Is the "mud factor" out of control? I get some surprise colors when I mix tube paint with white--it can really change the tone. I layered up colors, and then at one point I took a sponge and wiped out the left cheek. It's been interesting. Feedback very welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2007/91995-Self_portrait6_72.jpg

Portrait, 10 x 7 1/2

Selene

Old Tex
05-01-2007, 11:54 PM
I really like this, Selene! A good portrait in itself, but I love the bold, strong viewpoint. I like the colors. You and Meg are both really good with those blue/gray shadow areas. Considering the light source, I think the subject's (you?) right eye area should not be a lighter value than the left, but that's personal opinion. Do some more portraits. Very cool.

meglyman
05-02-2007, 01:16 PM
I like your portrait too! It's a very interesting point of view, and most portraits are "portrait" orientation, but I like this "landscape" orientation.

I don't think the mud is out of control at all. The cheek/jawline area under the ear looks like it took a little abuse/rework, but it's not very noticable. I like the colors you used and the placement of the highlights. I love the desaturated shadows and how they match the background.

Did you work from life or from a photo?

Meg

Seleeni
05-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Meg and Ralph, I appreciate you taking the time to look at this and give me feedback. It really is encouraging to proceed ahead.

I admit it's me, a photo from the digital camera. Not exactly flattering! Never enough detail. I find I can see the "landscape" better if I print out a really dark version and a really light version. I'm working laying down with the board 8 inches from my face. It looks so much different when seen from across the room. Now I can see how that right eye looks lighter because of the contrasting tone. Also, since I'm basically homebound right now, I don't have a whole lot of subjects at my disposal, though I do have a bunch of photos tucked away. What to try next? There's always my dog!

Selene

Old Tex
05-02-2007, 09:54 PM
To see the work you do while lying down is just greater encouragement for me to keep trying and to stay determined. That sound you hear is applause coming from Texas.

Seleeni
05-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Thank you. I am encouraged to get feedback from the portraiture forum. Here's the revision with the right eye toned down and some colors intensified. Did it help?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2007/91995-Self_portrait6_revised_72.jpg

Selene

Old Tex
05-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Yup. Good job!

meglyman
05-05-2007, 12:41 PM
I agree, looks good!

My only suggestion is that after toning down the right eyelid, the shadow under the eyebrow is now lighter than the eyelid, whereas before it was darker. Maybe update the shadow to match the changes in the eyelid?

The eyelids match each other much better now, and the bright red helps the compostion, since you have it on both eyelids and the mouth. It makes the portrait glow!

Meg

Seleeni
05-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks so much for your feedback.

Selene

Sonia
05-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I like it. Definitely an unusual viewpoint, which makes it stand out from the normal portrait.

cmwynn
05-07-2007, 09:04 PM
I anm impressed with your choices of colors. They seem strange by themselves but come together to make a very strong portrait. The point of view is also a winner.