PDA

View Full Version : The Shop

meglyman
04-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Done from a photo of the "shop," a small shack outside my grandma's farmhouse. All C&C welcome - I know the perspective isn't all that great, and the value range isn't very wide. Any other suggestions for improvement??

5x7" gouache on Gessobord

Thanks,
Meg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2007/89276-meglyman_theshop_sm.jpg

Old Tex
05-01-2007, 11:40 PM
This is nice, Meg. You mentioned values, but just one comment about that: watch out for things like the framing around the window. It wouldn't be all the same value all the way around. First, because it's old wood, and second, just as a general perception. Some parts of it will be lighter. In fact, if you lightened the whole frame slightly closer to the wall, it wouldn't quite jump out as much. The blue in the glass will draw your eye anyway. Nice work in the glass/reflections! Also (hope you don't mind), I would have left out the structural element below the window, and maybe just put in a little bit of foliage (wouldn't need much, maybe just a touch of grass). Just because it's there in reality, doesn't mean you have to put it in. Problem with it, to my mind, is that I really don't know what it is. I'm really proud of you for trying different stuff!

meglyman
05-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Ralph,

Thanks so much for your comments. Overall, they reminded me that photos can be improved upon, which is something I often forget. And in this case, it's also a matter of nostalgia, cuz it's Grandma's.

I see what you mean about making a lighter area on the outside of the window to connect it to the wall. It does really jump out, and I also noticed I made it too big. It is old wood, but it's always got a fresh coat of paint, so I was sticking to the photo too closely in that regard. I should make it look more like actual wood.

That lump under the window is... a lump of concrete. In reality, it's the well platform. Couldn't you tell?? ;) I agree that it's boring and something else could make that spot more interesting. And its bad persepctive is killing me!

So, anyone have tips for mixing colors to match? I made the mistake of not mixing enough of these colors (barely had enough to finish). I think I remember the tubes I used, but not the proportions. Plus, sometimes the gouache seems to dry lighter, sometimes darker. Any tips?

Meg

Seleeni
05-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi Meg,

I like the colors-they could very well be used for flesh tones. I have a spiral book I blotch the colors and their names in for each painting so I can refer to it in the future when I know I'll have no memory of how I did it. As for trying Ralph's suggestion of lightening the frame, maybe a glaze all around it with both light and dark tones? Tell us what happens.

Selene

meglyman
05-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Selene,

Thanks for your comments! I am hoping to get more feedback before I tackle matching the colors, but I will certainly try your glazing suggestion. I hope to use this as a chance to see how the gessobord responds to second applications - it absorbs a lot, and now it's totally dry.

Meg

Old Tex
05-05-2007, 09:17 AM
I figured that was a concrete pad. Sometimes, even with a nostalgic subject, you have to leave something out, I'm afraid. I'm convinced that the only person who will miss it in your painting is you. As far as matching colors, sounds like Selene is more conscientious about record keeping than I'll ever be. I still use the trial and error method to retouch.

meglyman
05-05-2007, 12:28 PM
*Sigh*

I'll miss that big hunk of concrete, but you're right, I'm the only one who cares. Well, my family, too, but they aren't likely to buy. :D

OK, off to give it a go... wish me luck... I'll post the results, good or bad.

Meg

meglyman
05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
OK, I don't miss the well platform as much as I thought I would. I changed it to foliage and lightened the window frame.

Any other suggestions? I really appreciate your input, because I think it looks a lot better now. Still looking for critiques, though!

Meghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2007/89276-meglyman_theshop_sm.jpg

meglyman
05-15-2007, 06:26 PM
*bump*

What do y'all think - can I call this finished, or does it need more work?

Meg

take2
06-07-2007, 01:19 AM
Hey meglyman! If u dont mind my opinion, I'd call it done. The foliage looks much better...Excellent!!:)

Alachua Artist
06-07-2007, 04:59 PM
This has really improved. You may want to check the door width - I know some of it is hidden behind the tree, but even then, it looks rather narrow. Nice work on the right side foliage - much better than the concrete slab, even if it really was there.

Seleeni
06-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Hi Meg,

It's much more appealing, especially the green on the right hand side.

Selene

meglyman
06-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks for your input!

lilartist, thanks for the comment. One of my biggest art fears is deciding to changes something, and then making it worse! Glad you think it's improved.

Wendy, thanks! This has taught me a good lesson about how much to stick to your reference or memory. And thanks for pointing out the door - some things look so obvious, but only after someone points them out... :rolleyes:

Selene, thanks for the encouragement! Again, it's great to know that it got better. I think I'll frame it up.

Old Tex
06-11-2007, 02:13 PM
I keep getting behind... good finish, Meg!