PDA

View Full Version : A look at the other side - Self portrait WIP

LEIGH RUST
04-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Hi everyone, I've decided to do my first self portrait. I work in pastel and have produced many commissions for clients of their kids but I had an idea that I thought would make a good self portrait and decided it was time. Rather than the usual formal portrait I've chosen something a bit more dynamic with leanings to my past life as a comic book artist. Here are the first 2 stages...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP01.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP02.jpg

I'm going to have the highest key at the top of my fingers and the darkest darks just below my hand which I'll be working up first.

annj
04-30-2007, 01:04 AM
Oooh Leigh... Nice to see you here, and I'm pulling my chair up right now!

I love this composition idea...

alicat
04-30-2007, 01:06 AM
You look very serious weilding that pastel, Leigh! :lol: Really great start, I like the concept, too, and what you've done with the bg so far. Can't wait to see where you go with this one!

LEIGH RUST
04-30-2007, 01:21 AM
It's called concentration Ali P Seriously part of what I wanted to capture was the intensity as I work. I thought the concept was a little bit different. That's what happens when I see fantastic portraits like the About Face exhibition. If this works I'll probably enter it into some portrait shows like the Moran.

I'll be posting another update shortly

LEIGH RUST
04-30-2007, 01:43 AM
I've been working on the left hand today, scumbling tones into place and paying attention to warm and cool lights. Lost and found edges will be utilized and I will be leaving parts of the support to show through the image.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP03.jpg

soap
04-30-2007, 03:44 AM
This is fab! How did you get the setup? Did someone take a photo of you in this pose?
Love it so far!

Netty
04-30-2007, 04:20 AM
Leigh, This is such a fantastic idea, and you are really doing a wonderful job!! How amazing, it is like you are going to dot my nose with that pastel while I sit here at my pc!!! excellent.

Annie:)

LEIGH RUST
04-30-2007, 05:10 AM
The setup was done with my trusty camera on tripod and set up for a timer shot. I'd already set the focus to my stool so that I'd get the desired result. Then I threw the image into photoshop and did the background to get a feel for what would work.

I've nearly finished the hand now and also started work on the shirt. Here is where I'm currently up to.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP04.jpg

And here is a closeup of the work on the hand..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP04-cu.jpg

I'll have another update in a few days. Time for me to get back to the other projects. Thanks for looking!

PatrickHedges
04-30-2007, 05:13 AM
Strewth!!!! Love it Leigh - yeah yeah!!!

Paula Ford
04-30-2007, 07:17 AM
I am loving this Leigh!!!

Paula

karenelkan
04-30-2007, 08:14 AM
I LOVE this. Wonderful concept and your execution is perfect! I am a fan of your work, can you tell?

Tom Christopher
04-30-2007, 08:56 AM
This is one of the most amazing paintings I have seen on this site. Congratulations on a prize winner.. Am I correct in assuming you are left handed?:evil: I really like the first photo as a finished piece also-- tom

M Douglas
04-30-2007, 09:40 AM
This is one of the most amazing paintings I have seen on this site.

I agree with Tom!! I am loving this one:clap: :clap: :clap:

Melodie

Diana_pastels
04-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Leigh, this is fantastic! Thank you for sharing the work in progress and giving such detailed explanations as well. For a beginner like me, this is an amazing way to learn!
Diana

Deborah Secor
04-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Intriguing... I want some smudges of pastel on the hand/fingers to add authenticity. Now, maybe when you paint your hand stays that clean, but it seems a bit too posed considering the intenstiy of the concentration. I'd like to think you're further into the work, which a dirty hand might indicate in a sort of visceral fashion.

And how about something delineating the 'picture' plane...perhaps a daub of pastel? Or is this just my messy tendencies coming out? :lol:

Whatever, it's an excellent idea and your usual beautiful rendering!

Deborah

CM Neidhofer
04-30-2007, 10:30 AM
What a unique concept....I'll be watching also!!! :)

Christine

Dark_Shades
04-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Love this too Leigh......... Great portrait coming along here..... nice change of subject from you, and love the idea and set up behind it

CindyW
04-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Love the roughness of the paper showing in the rendering of the hand....
neat portrait!
Cindy

UnknownArtist
04-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Oh this is such a unique comp. The very first one put a smile on my face, the pastel looks so real. The sketch & updates are great to see. I'm a beginner too and this is like taking a real lesson :) thanks!!!! Love what you have done so far.
kenya

Merethe T
04-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Ooooh, this is awesome!! Love the concept too, great comp! I'll be watching and learning......

Merethe

Kathryn Day
04-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Wow, really love this idea, so creative. You can feel the intensity of your concentration in the pose. Will be watching too.

Bringer
04-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Hi Leigh,

That's unfair mate !
It's too much quality comming up on that one....

Best regards,

Josť

Pat Isaac
04-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Just saw this, I'm watching, watching......very dynamic and I can see you comic art coming through. Who would have guessed?

Pat

Doris Baggett
04-30-2007, 05:23 PM
This is great, but I'm with Deborah-You need some smudges on those pristine hands!!

alicat
04-30-2007, 07:41 PM
This is an awsome portrait, Leigh, very impressive and unique! I think it's a good idea to enter it for a portrait prize, shaping up to be a winner IMHO. :clap: I'll be watching!

LEIGH RUST
04-30-2007, 10:33 PM
This is one of the most amazing paintings I have seen on this site.

OMG Tom! Thanks mate. That is a huge call. I'm glad that the concept has struck a chord here:)

LEIGH RUST
04-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Hi Leigh,

That's unfair mate !
It's too much quality comming up on that one....

Best regards,

Josť

To be fair mate I have drawn and painted more people than any other subject even though it has been some time since I did so. Glad to know I've still got it!

LEIGH RUST
04-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Intriguing... I want some smudges of pastel on the hand/fingers to add authenticity. Now, maybe when you paint your hand stays that clean, but it seems a bit too posed considering the intenstiy of the concentration. I'd like to think you're further into the work, which a dirty hand might indicate in a sort of visceral fashion.

And how about something delineating the 'picture' plane...perhaps a daub of pastel? Or is this just my messy tendencies coming out? :lol:

Whatever, it's an excellent idea and your usual beautiful rendering!

Deborah

:lol: Yeah, amazingly enough I do keep quite clean nowadays! I used to work with pastel up to my elbows but have somehow refined the process to be much cleaner with the messiest medium I use. I assure you that there will be some hints of pastel on my hands and face before I'm finished!

LEIGH RUST
05-01-2007, 06:42 AM
Okay guys! I got home tonight and found myself drawn back to the easel to make some more progress here (I'm meant to be doing sale tickets but they'll have to wait a couple of hours :wink2:)

Work has started on the face now. I'm not going to do this pretty - it will have all the spots, scars and scratches that I'm currently wearing just in case anyone thought this might be an exercise in vanity.

I've also added some pastel to my fingers to mess things up a bit. Don't worry, that finger will be done soon!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP05.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP06.jpg

I'll most likely have another update before night's end...

flyfisherflyfisher1
05-01-2007, 07:39 AM
This is a great idea as far as composition. I also think your doing a great job. Your forshortening in that left arm, hand and fingers seems to be dead on. I'm likeing this one a lot. I think every artist should do a portrait sometime in their career.....I'm glad I have a lot of years left in my career to work up the courage.:lol: :smug: I'll watch this one!
Pete

LEIGH RUST
05-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Here's the final(?) update for the night. I've continued to work on the face and started putting highlights in the hair.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP07.jpg

LEIGH RUST
05-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I've finally finished my left hand! Next I'll work on my hair and then descend down the right side of my face. This is definitely the last post for the night

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP08.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP08cu.jpg

Goodight everyone!

Merethe T
05-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Wow leigh, this is amazing....loving every step of this WIP!!
Do you layer the colors without blending? The skintones are so great!

Merethe

Pat Isaac
05-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Incredibly striking.

Pat

PatrickHedges
05-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Here's the final(?) update for the night
I was waiting for another update for the night :lol:

Totally brilliant. I absolutely love that stick of pastel. It almost looks like you've got a real one sticking through the paper. What? You have? :D

LEIGH RUST
05-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Wow leigh, this is amazing....loving every step of this WIP!!
Do you layer the colors without blending? The skintones are so great!

Merethe

All the blending is done with the sticks. I find that my technique of layering gives me much more interesting blends than smudging does. The skintones have got pinks, purples, siennas, umbers, blues and oranges throught it which gives it the depth. All my workers are working overtime!

Dea
05-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Wow, I only just came in on this one. What a great idea and what a great painting!
Deanna

alicat
05-02-2007, 12:29 AM
Fantastic progress, Leigh! That hand poised with the pastel about to make the next stroke gives a sense of immediate action that is quite striking, like you're painting each viewer. Will you be up late tonight again doing more?

*Marina*
05-02-2007, 04:37 AM
Fantastic work Leigh, love the way the hand is coming off the paper.

LEIGH RUST
05-02-2007, 05:24 AM
Got class tonight but I'll see if i can get a small update in between teaching and getting ready for the weekend's demonstrations. Need to print of plenty of promo material as well...

bruce johnson
05-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Amazing piece of artwork Leigh and a great concept... Are you a member of the PSV. I'll be there on Monday night, be great to meet up with you...

Cheers Bruce

VeronicaF
05-03-2007, 01:44 AM
WOW!! Takes my breath away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
truly outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!
kind regards Veronica

LEIGH RUST
05-03-2007, 02:56 AM
Hi Bruce, not currently a member of the PSV but hope to be again soon. As for the piece it was your portraits that got the ideas sparking in my brain for this piece. Thanks mate
Veronica - thanks so much for your comments, glad you like it

Viuhti
05-03-2007, 03:59 AM
Great work; I do agree with you all! :thumbsup:
Is this your usual method to start at a corner and keep getting a finished area as you proceed? You must have a really clear vision of the finished piece in mind.

Donna T
05-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Leigh, it has been great watching you do this one. Looking forward to the finish!

Donna T

LEIGH RUST
05-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Hi everyone! I've been hard at it again tonight, this time focusing on the forehead. Plenty of work has been done to create the furrows in the brow. Next up will be the hair.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP09.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP09cu.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP10.jpg

winecountry
05-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi Leigh,
I'm avidly following this WIP, I'd love to know a bit more about how you build th skin tones, it doesn't look like you do much blending...also I don't think my monitor is doing very well with the color, which is coming out very white, and I know it's got more color changes than I can see, anyway possible to get a photo close up of an area that may show more in a balanced light? I'm really learning a lot here, and I'm so amazed at the perspective...which is so refreshing!
Thanks
Colleen

K Taylor-Green
05-03-2007, 02:30 PM
A truly amazing piece of work. Unbelievable.

Tennessee artist
05-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Ohh man this is Great!! waite Are you single too?? LOL

Susan Borgas
05-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Fantasic WIP Leigh with one of the best ideas that I have seen for a self portrait.

:lol:....softjewel, I spy a ring on Leigh's finger!

LEIGH RUST
05-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi Colleen - I will make sure that I go into detail with how I do the skin tones in the next couple of posts. Most of it is intuitive, playing off warm and cool tones of similar values to create a sense of realism. Many of the colours that make this work are so subtle that they don't really show up on a monitor which is always a challenge.
Kate, Softjewel and Susan - Thanks for your comments. I'm really glad everyone's enjoying this and I'm hoping a few might be learning from it too.
Susan, you are correct, that is a band on my finger!

Netty
05-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Love the concentration in your eyes! It is really inspiring watching your WIP. Thankyou for sharing it with us.

Annie:)

Donna T
05-04-2007, 07:19 AM
This looks so good already. It's one of those pieces that really grabs your attention and demands a closer look. Can't wait to see how you finish this!

Donna T

LEIGH RUST
05-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks! I'm glad it grabs the attention. I wanted to capture that sense of concentration and being immersed in the work. The art show opening went very well tonight - I won best oil on show! Not bad for a pastellist:p...

Pat Isaac
05-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the close-ups. This is an amazing work. Congrats also on your Best of Show. :thumbsup:

Pat

SMARA
05-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Leigh - it seems that you are good at whichever medium you turn your hand to. Me ? I'm sitting half way through a pastel that I have been on for 3 weeks. So many upheavels in my life at the moment like leaving a full time job after 11 1/2 years of service - I guess my head can not settle on painting and i'm too tired after packing boxes etc. to move house - although I often used to use my art as an escape. Hopefully watching your WIP will get me going again. But then again - another wildlife WIP from you might REALLY inspire me. Keep at it.
Aletta

LEIGH RUST
05-04-2007, 09:44 AM
That wildlife WIP will be up by week's end Aletta! I'm going to do my baby orangutan for an art show demonstration on Sunday which means I have to do some work on him! Best of luck with everything - adjustments that big really take a lot out of you...

Donna T
05-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Congratulations Leigh!!! I just saw your award-winning painting over in the Landscape forum. Wow, that was some WIP and quite the project. I guess it wouldn't be practical for you to do something that large in pastel...think of the dust!

Donna T

Merethe T
05-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Gonna be just stunning, I enjoy the close-ups too! The pose is just great, love it! Gotta ditto what others here have said, such a concentrated look in your eyes, really grabs the viewer....

Look forward to details on how you do skintones, learning a lot from this....

oh, and congratulations on you award, well deserved!

Merethe

soap
05-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Looking amazing so far - great painting. Your skin does look very powdery white....great effect...but not very warm....;)
Many congrats on the award! Be proud!

(which painting did you win with?)

LEIGH RUST
05-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Hi Soap, the lights I've used are a combo of warm white, caput mortum, burnt and raw umbers, burnt sienna and a range of pink tones. The subtleties get missed by the camera.
I won the award for my panorama "The Great beyond - Mt Franklin" (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354912). Nice to know the hard work paid off

PatrickHedges
05-05-2007, 12:08 AM
I won the award for my panorama. Nice to know the hard work paid off
You're a nutter :lol: Tackling something like that :D A huge well done from me :clap: :clap:

LEIGH RUST
05-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Mate you've known I was a nutter for ages! Now I'm an award winning one! Thanks buddy

soap
05-05-2007, 03:29 AM
WOW - what a fab project! And a great painting! Did you sell it at the expo? (who's got space for that on the wall? LOL)

Fantastic work - loving it. Congrats again.

LEIGH RUST
05-05-2007, 04:34 AM
Hi Soap, it hasn't sold yet but you just never know... I think it'll end up in a regional or national gallery collection in the end. That would be incredible!

NickyW
05-05-2007, 07:29 AM
Well Leigh, im amazed, i love the concept, wow, just totally mind blowing, im going to stick with you and watch you appear on paper lol..so from one left hander to another, heres watching "YOU"...Im inspired once more..

Tracy Lewis
05-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I love this work. How do you get such fine detail ? Do you use pasrel pencils?

LEIGH RUST
05-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi Tracy, all the work is done with sticks. I've learnt over time to manipulate the edges to work for me.

Jean270
05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
This one is leaving me speechless! Cannot find the words to say how fantastic this piece is! This has got to be the most unusual self portrait ever!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Jean:wave:

dbjs
05-07-2007, 02:15 PM
I SO agree with Jean270! Beautifull!

Jean270
05-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Okay, Okay, we have waited long enough!:D We all want to see the next update! :D Its' been 7 days already!!!:wink2:
Jean:wave:

LEIGH RUST
05-10-2007, 05:53 PM
I know, I know! I've been busy working on my latest major oil in the A & W forum and haven't had a chance to touch this yet. Next day or so I should have the hair done.

*Violet*
05-11-2007, 06:44 PM
i just found this !! ... stunning pose !! ... sooooo inventive, creative, and original !! ... and of course, as per usual, your rendering is superb ... i look forward to seeing the finish which undoubtedly will be spectacular .... delivering it in a wip is truly inspirational ...

LEIGH RUST
05-17-2007, 09:01 AM
I'd like to thank everyone for their patience in waiting for updates here - things have been fairly chaotic of late but I've finally got a few minutes on the easel tonight. The hair is starting to form and the shadows are about to glow as we progress...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP11.jpg

PatrickHedges
05-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Gee, you're a handsome dude. Did you get a face double to stand in for you? :lol:

Brilliant work Leigh. That hand seems to be reading as the perfect distance in front of your face

LEIGH RUST
05-17-2007, 09:36 AM
geez mate, you're making me blush!

Di Court
05-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Dear Patrick, I wondered if I could ask a question? The warms and cools in this are quite striking, and I noticed that you are using a blue paper (which is always my favourite). Why have you chosen a pinkish background? Especially over a cool paper, and having warm toned hair?

I think this is stunning portrait too, and thanks for sharing. Lots of people who've never met you are going to feel as if they know you well after this!!!

bruce johnson
05-17-2007, 10:47 PM
You're quite good at this art stuff Leigh :lol: :lol: top job so far mate... :thumbsup:

PatrickHedges
05-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Dear Patrick, I wondered if I could ask a question? He's Leigh, I'm Patrick :lol:

momof6
05-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Wow, glad Patrick pointed out this WIP over in the A&W forum -

this is a treat! Can't wait to watch this one unfold. Good job, Leigh!!!

LEIGH RUST
05-18-2007, 01:38 AM
Hi folks! Just bear with me as I pull myself up off the ground in fits of laughter! Geez Pat, if we keep this up people might think you're my double!

Di - in answer to your question I chose the cool deeper toned paper to give interplay with the warm lights in the image. Many of the skin tones have a peach or orange undertone so using the blue acts as a compliment to it.

Bruce - Thanks as always!

Di Court
05-19-2007, 10:45 AM
He's Leigh, I'm Patrick :lol:
Alright already - so I remember what I last saw!! Which was your name!! My children pick on me!! Now people from WC pick on me!! Geez!!!!! :confused:

Thank you for you attention Patrick.

Dear Leigh, may I ask you a question......

LEIGH RUST
05-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Yes Di, you most certainly may.

We are a little closer now. Here is tonight's update...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP12.jpg

And a close up to show all the tones in the skin

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP12cu.jpg

annj
05-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Yay, progress! Been waiting (not so patiently <g>) for an update. It's going so well Leigh - do you ever make any mistakes in your paintings? (unlike me???).

I'm fascinated with the way you leave holes - obviously you know what you plan to do there. It's just such a different way to the way I work. I'm learning heaps here... Viva la difference! :-)

LEIGH RUST
05-20-2007, 02:50 AM
The jigsaw puzzle approach just works for me I guess. Having painted most of the pieces in my head before putting any marks on the support plays a big hand in that.

Yes, every now and then some works don't quite make the grade but they are normally caught before failing and left for me to contemplate new strategies for success. That's why I have multiple projects on the go at any given time. If I'm not feeling the work I'll shelve it until my inspiration hits again.
At the end of the day it's about the energy in the work. If I'm enjoying what I'm working on then that shows through and grabs the attention. While the surface may appear the same there is something that is locked inside the strokes that translates this energy.

PatrickHedges
05-20-2007, 03:58 AM
That's why I have multiple projects on the go at any given time. I always plan to do this, but it rarely happens :D

That's a very intense look Leigh, like you are concentrating really hard, which I guess you would be

LEIGH RUST
05-20-2007, 04:02 AM
Creating the illusion of being busy usually results in you being busy!

I've just been given a heads up by my wife that I'm likely to have a pile of pet portrait commissions on my hands in the next few days! The client who we did the poodle for has told all her friends about me and I think there are already 4 people coming to see me tomorrow to arrange commissions!

Di Court
05-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Wow - congratulations - nothing like word of mouth to spread your reputation around. I hope the rest aren't poodles though. I know that I don't really know you - but you just don't seem like a poodle sort of guy. Anyone who draws big cats like you do should be a cat person. :evil:

LEIGH RUST
05-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Big animals I love, small animals just tend to annoy me when it comes to the domestic kind. Just the way I am.

Geoff
05-20-2007, 09:04 AM
This is taking so long it looks as though you need a shave !! LOL :wave:

Merethe T
05-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Wow....and wow again....this is awesome Leigh...brilliant work!

Congratulations on the commissions - can't say I'm surprised though, you're an amazing artist!

Merethe

Donna T
05-20-2007, 12:32 PM
This really is amazing, Leigh. It's just so different and has so much more energy than the usual self-portrait. I think we would all like to see a WIP of you painting a poodle...from life.

Donna T

Susan Borgas
05-20-2007, 08:05 PM
This is taking so long it looks as though you need a shave !! LOL :wave: Geoff you are priceless! :D

Leigh I am still watching..... without a doubt you are on a winner here.:thumbsup:

VeronicaF
05-21-2007, 02:41 AM
WOW soooooooo Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kind regards Veronica

M Douglas
05-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Awesome!! I'm so glad you are sharing it with us.

Melodie

LEIGH RUST
06-11-2007, 10:51 AM
At last! We've reached the end of the journey tonight. With my art show commitments wrapped up for the moment I decided to get this back on the easel and finish the portrait. I'm really happy with it. There are many breakthroughs in this which I'm quite proud of such as the combination of fine detail and looser suggestion in the same piece.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2007/59698-Self-portrait-WIP-final.jpg

Thanks to everyone for joining me as I did this work. I hope you got something out of the exercise and enjoy the finished piece!

*Violet*
06-11-2007, 10:55 AM
excellent !! ... awesome ... inspiring ...

Constellation
06-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Unbelievably excellent! Donna R

Geoff
06-11-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm speechless - wonderful work Leigh..
:clap: :clap:

Bringer
06-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Hi Leigh,

Incredible work !
You've worked that shortened perspective really well.

Kind regards,

Josť

Donna T
06-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Be sure to let us know how many awards you win with this one, Leigh. This is an incredible piece of art!

Donna T

M Douglas
06-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Absolutely wonderful, inspiring work.

Melodie

Dea
06-12-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm gonna study this one for all he detail and loosness because I think it is awesome, we have all learned heaps. Thanks Leigh,
Deanna.

Jo Castillo
06-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Thanks, Leigh. Congratulations on a beautiful finished piece. Thanks for sharing all the info.

Jo

NickyW
06-12-2007, 03:12 AM
:clap: Yay its finished:clap: and what a wonderful result Leigh. Pretty amazing actually..thanks for sharing your finished work with us..:thumbsup:

annj
06-12-2007, 06:21 AM
Thanks to everyone for joining me as I did this work. I hope you got something out of the exercise and enjoy the finished piece!
[/CENTER]

Absolutely! Thank you so much for sharing, this is an inspirational piece of art, Leigh. :-)

Farfallina
06-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Wonderful Leigh!!!:thumbsup: This has been a most pleasant and instructive journey - thanks for the ride! :)

dobber
06-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Fantastic work Leigh.:clap: :thumbsup: It's a great concept. I hope you'll enter it in the Pastel Journal competition. Thanks for sharing.

Dobber

Charles Perera
06-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks Leigh,

It was well worth taking time to watch your beautiful creation. It is amazing the way you had used the pastel medium for this superb portray.

Charles

bruce johnson
06-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Brilliant finish Leigh outstanding :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

LEIGH RUST
06-12-2007, 07:35 PM
WOW! Thanks everyone! I'm so glad you all enjoyed it.

David Patterson
06-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Fantastic work Leigh!:thumbsup:

David

winecountry
06-13-2007, 02:19 AM
Just leap out at you wonderful...and even tho you shared every step, it's a mystery to me how you did this...it must be nearly overwhelming in person...
Congrats on a quatum leap ahead!
Colleen

Westerngirl
06-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Fantastic work Leigh.:clap: :thumbsup: It's a great concept. I hope you'll enter it in the Pastel Journal competition. Thanks for sharing.

Dobber

I second that!

Now THIS is art! :clap: :clap:

Alison2
06-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Fantastic Leigh, thanks so much for sharing!

Alison2:wave:

Selahs art
06-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Leigh,
stunning work youve done here....

Retha

Merriel
06-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Leigh: Thanks for sharing your talent here. everything about this piece is
wonderful. I love the fresh, clean look of the pastel and the way of the
application. Your a master.

merriel

Susan Borgas
06-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Yes you should be proud of your achievements with this portraiture Leigh. You are a diverse artist with a big future ahead of you and hope I am around in another twenty or so years to see what path your art career takes. That goes for many more artists that I respect here at WetCanvas as well. :thumbsup:

Artaholic
06-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Wow!! what fun watching this develope :clap: :clap: I would like to see you do one with the first image you posted ; Just for the dramatic effect as a finished work:) :thumbsup: That really jumps out at you.

soap
06-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Just got back from holiday - went on WC to have a browse and noticed your finished piece.....aaah....WOW...brilliant. Beautiful work and it must feel good to know you've pushed your own boundary a bit too.
RU gonna sell it?

LEIGH RUST
06-19-2007, 12:25 AM
I'll use it to advertise my portrait work at art shows and also enter it into portrait prizes and competitions such as the Pastel Journal and the like..

LEIGH RUST
09-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Just a quick note to let everyone know that this piece was commended in AGRA's (http://www.agra.org.au) latest Australia at large online art competition and I scored 4 entries in the top 50.

Paula Ford
09-09-2007, 01:12 AM
That's wonderful Leigh!! Congratulations!!

Paula

HarvestMoon
09-09-2007, 11:11 AM
this is so fantastic!!! just love the viewpoint- so unusual and well done
Linda

Geoff
09-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Congratulations Leigh - well deserved.:clap: