PDA

View Full Version : Puffin - WIP

Sand_storm
04-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi Everybody--
Here's a project I just started-it's still at the general blocking in stage. I've included the reference photo I'm using so you'll have an idea what I'm shooting for. It's only the beginning but any C&C is welcome!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2007/99459-PuffinOnWater.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2007/99459-PuffinWIP.jpg
The lighting wasn't great when I took the photo so it looks a lot lighter than it actually is. Hope you like it!
chris

tazzers2007
04-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Looks like your off to a great start. Pulling up my chair to watch this one.

alicat
04-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Looks like an interesting subject, you've made a good start on it. If there's one bird I would like to paint it's a puffin, but we don't have any where I live. I should have a look in the RL! Looking forward to seeing more of your puffin piece, it's comng along well!

PatrickHedges
04-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Puffins would have to be just about the most interesting looking birds there are. Looking forward to more :)

indiana_jim
04-29-2007, 08:03 PM
wow is that lookin nice!,..i have to agree Patrick, even up close its hard to believe puffins actually look the way they do.

Dave Slaughter
04-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Great start. I'll be interested to see how this comes along.

slaterza
04-29-2007, 10:57 PM
This is off to a great start I will be interested in seeing how you progress. I just did a puffin painting and they are fun birds to paint.

Garbonzo
04-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Puffins are such cool birds, it's amazing how many fish they can hold in their beautifully colored bills at one time. You've got a great start here.

annj
04-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Welcome Chris and I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop. I'm always chicken to tackle water reflections! :-)

Take another look at the shape of the underside of the beak...

VeronicaF
04-30-2007, 02:32 AM
my goodness that water you have done is amazing!!
how did you do that water?amazing
so life like
kind regards Veronica

jody007
04-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Oh I am loving it! I am pulling up a chair to watch you work.
Jody

meglyman
04-30-2007, 08:55 AM
That's an awesome ref photo and a great start! I love the colors of the bird and how you've done its reflection in the water so far.

What media are you using?

Meg

Sand_storm
04-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks everyone!
annj- you're right--there's not really a prominent bump on where the lower bill joins the head--must fix that! It's only my 2nd painting ever so I'm expecting lots of mistakes. Thanks for pointing that out because I didn't notice it til you mentioned!:thumbsup:

VeronicaF-- I keep re-doing sections of the water--I've basically been looking at smaller sections of the photo and trying to make sure the wavy bits match up. I see it as 2 types - blue wavy bits and green wavy bits. The green parts seem to hold most of the reflections for my eye.

meglyman-- It's all acrylic-- a combo of Liquitex Heavy Body (and lots of water or matte medium--this stuff is Jell-o thick!!) and Windsor/Newton Finity. The canvas has 4 coats of some generic white gesso, lightly sanded between coats 3 and 4.

I hope you're all patient--I don't get to work on it much as we have a baby on the way in August and I have tons of remodeling to do before then. Painting is my way of unwinding when I can't look at any more drywall!!!:eek: