PDA

View Full Version : Website Images ~ Help Needed, Please

Blue Moon Glass
04-29-2007, 12:43 AM
I hope someone can steer me in the right direction! I'm just getting my website going, and have been adding images out the wazoo. My problem is that the images look horrible. They look grainy, pixilated, and just plain awful.

Here's what I do: take the pix (Nikon D70s) in RAW format. Open in Photoshop and save as tif. With the tif image, I reduce the dpi to 72, and (in the case of the banner) resize height to 125px. Then I imported to Macromedia Fireworks, onto my banner, and that's it.

Initially, I was using the 'Save for Web' feature that saves the image as a gif. Then it was suggested to save them as jpeg. I did that also, but there was no improvement. In fact, I'm not so sure they don't look worse! My images are sharp and focused throughout the process, but something is getting seriously lost in the translation. Once that image leaves my computer and heads for the web, some nasty gremlins get ahold of it and mess it up.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be so very appreciative to learn of them. I've been working on this problem for a couple days and have gotten nowhere.

If you want to take a look at my site, it's www.ReneeSutton.com (http://www.ReneeSutton.com). Please feel free to critique it, such as it is. All feedback is welcome, even it it's not about those dastardly photos! BTW, I'm going to be reshooting a number of the photos anyway, but not because of this particular problem. I simply don't like some of them!

Thanks!!!

LouiseI
04-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Renee, I took a look at your site - did you get your problem fixed because I don't see much wrong with your photos at all, they look pretty crisp and clear on my monitor.
Is it possible it's just something you are seeing on your system for some reason? I don't know what to suggest.

calumey
05-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Renee,
The website looks good. You've put in a lot of work! Puts me to shame :)
As far as the grainy pictures, are you taking pictures with automatic settings or using the manual setting. If there is any way to adjust the ISO to the lowest setting, you can see how that works and go up from there.
I'm just curios as to what all the different programs? Photoshop does a pretty good job on web graphics. I do use the save for web feature a lot and play around with the image quality, blur and size on the screen where you finalize the save. If the items are small enough and don't take ages to load, then I like using a high quality item. There was a world of difference between medium and high quality on my banner and auction listing frames. I always like doing the internet explorer view before I hit save. Also, if you get a chance, check out Lori Greenberg's tutorial on digital imaging. Good luck. It all looks pretty good though.

Blue Moon Glass
05-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Louise & Cynthia,
Thanks for taking a look! I'm so perplexed with these images. I was starting to think it was me, as some others made the same comment you did. Then, I got a message saying the images in my banner could be clearer. I'm using aperture priority, auto-focus at ISO200. I can't set it at 100 (rats!). I'll read Lori's tutorial. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Somewhere, I only wish I could remember where, I read a post about someone who had the same problem with their images being uploaded larger in size than what they really were. They had the same problem with poor image quality. Do you think I can find that darned link?

Thanks for the help!!