PDA

View Full Version : I really need some help...

fashionfight
04-28-2007, 05:37 PM
I have been considering a career in art for a while now. I'm a senior in high school right now but I haven't bothered applying anywhere yet because I honestly have no clue what to do.

should I:
1. go to a community college + transfer to an art school (I have no clue if this would even transfer)
2. go to a 4 year university + major in art then go to art school
3. go to a 4 year university, take art classes + transfer to an art school after 2 years
3. flat out go to an art school

At my first high school we had a simple art program but when I transfered to another school I had the chance to take fashion design, photography and graphic design. I have a big interest in fashion and I love photography. My skills as an overall artist are very good but I don't know if I could major in either considering I haven't had a big hands on experience with either. Also, where I would be living for college would be in Missouri - is Kansas City Art Institute a good school? From what I hear it is but I don't know if it would be a good one for me.

suggestions on art schools, portfolios, ANYTHING would be extremely helpful

Enchanted
04-29-2007, 08:20 PM
You obviously know what the options are. No one can answer for you - only you know which will work best for you. Choices will obviously depend on whether money is a problem or not. If not, then all options are on the table. If a problem, then your options are limited to what you can afford. The best advice I can give you is to talk to a counselor at your high school, and if possible the counselor at a college or university near you.

Good luck in making the correct decision!

:thumbsup:

Keith Russell
05-15-2007, 03:29 PM
I attended the commercial art program at Johnson County Community College for four years (part-time, working full-time), and graduated with a very good Associates Degree in Commercial Art. (This was about twenty years ago).

The problem for me was, I wasn't judged on the quality of my education itself; I was always judged as having only a 'two-year' degree. Even though, when I was able to find work in my field, I was able to keep up with (or even excel over) others who had four-year degrees in CA, getting my foot in the door (ahead of those who had four-year degrees) was very, very hard.

I was turned down for numerous jobs, and a person with a four-year degree (in anything) being hired over me.

I'll graduate from the Kansas City Art Institute in December, with my BFA in painting.

If you have any questions, get in touch.

Adult Beginner
05-28-2007, 01:37 AM
I'm a retired electrical engineer. Some thoughts might be to contact some
artists that are doing what you aspire to do and ask them which course of
action is preferable. There would be a big difference (for example) in what
credentials/skills are required to teach art in the school system as opposed
to making a living as an artist etc. Whatever you decide Go For It with Gusto!
:thumbsup: