PDA

View Full Version : Carly......question?????

arlene
05-03-2002, 01:32 AM
I noticed when you show your artwork on ebay you use the frame tool to show how it would look matted and framed...do you find this makes a difference?

Is it worth trying for prints too?

cagathoc
05-04-2002, 08:22 AM
Arlene,

Photos are critical on Ebay - really important. I can't say that enough.

That said - where are the photos of your paper flowers that you used to have on your old website? The photos you are using now (maybe because you want to show the frame?) - they look awful! Get back up those old photos you had and they'll be selling like hotcakes.

cagathoc
05-04-2002, 08:28 AM
I feel like I should say more... In the photos you are using the frame shadows the sculpture and you cannot see any color - it all looks greyed. Even the outline of the sculpture is blurred because of the poorlighting.

If you don't have the old photos, it would be better to take the sculpture out of the box and take a digital photo in good light. Then make sure you use that pic for the gallery photo at eBay. Then if you still want to show the frame, which I think you should - include a second photo in the description showing the piece framed.

arlene
05-04-2002, 01:43 PM
cindy i cant use the photos on the site because i don't have those sculptures anymore, and i don't want to show one similar, cause u know how buyers are...

and they were done the same way...scanned on the scanner...i'll see what i can do to get a better shot...

i don't own a digital camera and until i can afford one, this is the best i can do...

now having said that, i've sold three of the paper sculptures this week on ebay. :D

but my question had nothing to do with the paper sculptures, but rather my cp work.

CarlyHardy
05-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Sorry to take so long in answering....with all the down time, I've been getting some painting done!

I began framing my paintings last fall to see if it would help with sales. I don't know if it did or not but I do think the paintings look good shown off in a frame sample. Sometimes I just add a white mat and some dark lines for a contemporary frame example...sometimes an actual frame.

It's more important to show a really clear image, however. The art is sold online by how it looks online...so post the best image you possibly can. On ebay, I make my images larger, too. For the uploaded free image I use 7 inches across the longest edge...and the one I show in my description is usually around 6.5" with frame and mat.

I have seen nice images with the painting shown hanging in a setting. I think this helps buyers to see the painting also...but if they're not in tune with a contemporary style and the setting is contemporary...it could turn them off too!
carly

arlene
05-06-2002, 12:25 AM
Carly what program do you use to make the frames?

i too use 7" across the widest part or tall...i tried putting some up with frames i did in photoshop, but they don't give enough options, and i'm not sure how to make more....frames that is.

The problem isn't with getting a clear pic of my cp drawings...only my old paper sculptures...

thank you for your help guys

cagathoc
05-06-2002, 07:50 AM
Yes, the photos of the CP works are wonderful!

arlene
05-06-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by cagathoc
Yes, the photos of the CP works are wonderful!

thank you Cindy...i'm getting there...LOL.

CarlyHardy
05-06-2002, 10:38 AM
I use the Adobe Photo Deluxe program. It's just a step-down option based on Photoshop format. From the cd, you can use options for frames and clip art with your images by choosing the collage feature. I use a couple of the frames from that...but a lot of the time I just create a frame look with the "line" tool. Adding a shadow to the frame gives the 3-D effect...you can do this with either program too. I have Photoshop but seldom use it to get my images ready for the web....I find the Photo Deluxe is a lot simpler and quicker!
carly

arlene
05-06-2002, 11:02 AM
Thank you carly. I have adobe elements too...might look at that.

arlene
05-06-2002, 04:29 PM
Folks I just redid the scans of the paper sculptures. I think they look better...what do you think? The old scan is the small one at the bottom.

I scanned in at a higher dpi then reduced the dpi after i was done color correcting.

cagathoc
05-06-2002, 05:55 PM
they look great now!