PDA

View Full Version : 2 thumbs up for Winsor & Newton

KOP
04-27-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm not sure how many of you have tried these, but I personally find them to be one of the best and easiest to work with.:smug:

Really, on paper they deliver a strong, solid line of color, and on sanded textures it is all the better!:)

I would love to use them quite a lot, if I had more. They are great coverers, and will go over any other pastel, no matter how soft.

Does anyone here like them, and use them; they do so well and help to make some really good art, if I say so, I must post some work I've did with them sometime.

They do need more darks though, but that's the only con.;)

K Taylor-Green
04-28-2007, 01:34 AM
Yes, I have some. I find they work well with my Rembrandts and Giraults. Rembrandts are more easily come by in open stock at the local art supply stores, so I find myself buying more of them.

eyeinthesky
04-28-2007, 04:48 AM
I have the full set of W&N, but don't use them much. They are nice to work with, but when I'm looking for a colour I tend to find a closer match in one of the other brands I have.
Dave

Susan Borgas
04-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Winsor & Newton are the work horse of my 'medium hard' pastels and I love them!

maggie latham
04-28-2007, 09:04 AM
:cat:
W&N are great for blending, especially on Wallis paper. I use them a lot with Shminke and Unison and Mount Vision on top. They are also great to enhance a watercolor painting!

Maggie

prettytulips
04-28-2007, 02:00 PM
I have a good handful of WN pastels and I find myself using them at times. They respond really well to sanded paper. I don't use canson so I can't say how they work on that paper. They have a transparent white/zinc white that is nice to use. Not as opaque. I think they are the only brand out there with zinc white....not sure.

Deborah Secor
04-28-2007, 05:57 PM
I tend to use my Giraults more than W&Ns, just because they seem a bit more gritty early on, which I like. They build up a nice creamy pillow, over time, too. The W&Ns feel a bit wimpy to me--but that's why they make so many different kinds. I guess in this case "different strokes for different folks" is literally true! :lol:

Deborah