PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Knot in CP

vinesqueen
04-25-2007, 12:12 PM
After lookking at Tess' celtic knot work on the CP forum, and then I found Tess' celtic knot tutorial, and thought WOW! I could do that!

I'm not sure if this is finished or not, by that I mean that I'm not sure if it needs a border.

I wanted the center to look like old gold, almost as if I'd used gold flake on it, but I don't know that I achieved that result. I heavily burnished the gold, but left the rest of piece unburneshed. The size of the paper is 9X12, and the piece doesn't fill the paper, it's about seven inches square.

Prisma pencils, and Stonehenge paper. Not sure why it turned out so pixilated. The background is Greyed Lavender, but the scan shows lots of other colors...

TessDB
05-04-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure if this is finished or not, by that I mean that I'm not sure if it needs a border.

Hi, Vinesqueen! :wave:

Can't believe I missed this... You've done a great job. I don't think it needs a border... Those pinky/purple outer knots work as well as a more complicated border would. To my sense of design, borders are helpful when your main area of focus is chaotic... giving the viewer's eye something with a more predictable sense of order to "rest" on before diving back into the chaotic parts. With a simple composition like this, I think they stand very very nicely all on their own.

I wanted the center to look like old gold, almost as if I'd used gold flake on it, but I don't know that I achieved that result.

I think if you pushed the values (nope, can't escape that!) on the gold parts (maybe crawl through the cp library and read some of the threads/tutorials Wendy (catchlight) did on shiny things to give you some ideas of *how* to do it) it might read more like gold... I'm *constantly* trying to get these things to look metallic without resorting to a paint pen or gold leaf, haven't quite managed it yet... ah well. gotta keep trying, right? :D

Hope to be seeing more knots from you! If you need help or have questions, feel free to pm me!

Ok, off to tangle myself. :lol:
Tess

Merry Scribe
05-04-2007, 12:38 PM
I agree with Tess this is a very beautiful piece and I don't think it needs a border. A border would detract the eye away from the art work.

Blessed Be

Brian

vinesqueen
05-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks Tess and Brian, I've been struggling with both the gold values and the border issue.

I know that some people have really mastered the metallic look, but that seems to be more true with "silvered" metals, like stainless, pueter (sp?) and of course silver. I know I need more practice, but that's part of the joy of this! Part of me wishes that I had just left it the yellow before I added the gold burnish, but again, that's part of the joy of this journey!

Also, in the future, I think I'll just take digital photos instead of trying to scan with my scanner. I seem to get more "true" color with the camera.

Thanks for the offer Tess, I just hope I don't become a nuisance :D

Strength and Courage!
Crystal