PDA

View Full Version : Shiva Casein paint test

dbclemons
04-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Following up on my Iddings paint test, I thought it only fair to make a similar one for my Shiva paints. I only have 15 of their 32 color choices right now, but it's a fairly good sampling. If anyone wants to add to this with their own tests of the missing colors, please do. Both of these charts are now taped to my south-facing window, and we'll see how they hold up after a couple months. Except for the Alizarin, all of these are rated "excellent" in lightfastness by Shiva.

The charts below were both painted this morning at the same time, and the images are cropped from the same single photo. I thought I'd also do a sample on a colored background to see the coverage and value changes better as they dried. The gray paper is museum board, and the white is a Multimedia Artboard sheet. The swatch on the left is straight paint from the tube, and the right side is tinted @ 50% with white.

I also wanted to show my palette to demonstrate how "wet" these Shiva paints sometimes are, which is my biggest gripe about them. This is paint squeezed right from the tube, no water added, but some of them, such as Cobalt Blue and Cad. Red, were so liquid that I had to dig into the tube with a paint knife in order to actually get some paint out. Also, my Ivory Black was a bit dried out, so I had to thin it some with water.

pinkrybns
04-26-2007, 04:30 AM
I really appreciate folks who test things and genrously share that information here.

I've added this one to the Informative Casein Threads thread.

Thanks so much David.

:wave:
Judy

meglyman
04-26-2007, 08:58 AM
David,

You're making me want to try this with Gouache. :D

Thanks for informing us all!

Meg

dbclemons
04-26-2007, 06:09 PM
You're welcome. I found 3 more colors (cad. green, shiva violet, and cad. red pale) hiding in my oil paint drawer :rolleyes: so I'm adding those to the chart.

RedEquus
04-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks for sharing this info. I, too, have found that some of the shiva paints are very watery in consistency. One of the yellows I have was that way and also shiva violet. I find it a small annoyance.

The dried out tubes really gripe me. I have a tube of cad. red that I've tried to salvage but I think that the paint has hardened too much to make it worth my while. I've dug out all that I think I can easily get at this point.

I did get the book, but I have not had the time to do any reading, yet.

Janice

dbclemons
06-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Well, it's been 2 months now with these Shiva swatches taped to the south facing window, and they all held up rather well. No noticeable fading whatsoever, even in the alizarin. The only thing to comment about is that I noticed in a couple of the reds, light red and cadmium red deep, that the tinted white swatch has an odd shift to gray in it. It's only slightly noticeable. You can see it to some degree in the attached photo.

Finnegan18
01-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Really a great thread. Going to rate this one. :)