PDA

View Full Version : Some new work..developing new technique

electra-cute
04-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Hello my friends. I soooooo apologize for the long absence. I have been so completely swamped by garden projects and home remodeling that I have hardly had a chance the past two months to concentrate on glass..

I finally got a couple of weeks in a row to really dive in and work out some of my newest ideas and wanted to share what I have so far.

The idea was to come up with a "look" of scrimshaw on bone but instead on glass. Each of these Chow pendants was done in numerous firings and are all glass. (no glass paints used)

I'm so excited ...you all have seen a few of my pendants leading up to this , but now I feel I have my technique close to perfected as far as kiln time and temps etc....lots of notes.

Thanks a bunch for looking everyone! I need to go check out the Show and Tell now!!!
Luv
Sandra

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2007/50270-rosechowcase.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2007/50270-carylsmoothcase.jpg

lizajayne
04-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Sandra I just love your little Chow dogs! And I am so happy to see you posting again. We missed you!

Are you using enamels for the design? You said all glass and that was all I could think of.

Anyways, they are looking beautiful as usual!

Ellen Altamore
04-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Well, Sandra, since you apologized so nicely, I guess we'll forgive you for staying away soooooooooo long.
Your pendants are amazing. Your artistic talent amazes me.

glasspat
04-23-2007, 05:46 PM
I love them. They are so cute and an amazing work of art.

oldejunque
04-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Sandra,
They are wonderful. Always a pleasure to see what you make.
Tomi

gingery
04-23-2007, 08:33 PM
What detail!:thumbsup: Wow! Just amazing work, Sandra!:clap: I kept wondering where you were.....glad to see you're back & with something new & awesome even!:D
ginger

Me Jayne
04-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Simply spectacular! Can't wait to see more!

electra-cute
04-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks a ton you guys for the sweeeeeeeeet comments!!! I am really having fun with these. Liza Jayne...to answer your question..I havent found an enamel that can get this fine of detail so I have formulated my own little "brew" from grinding my own glass which does involve a lot of firings to get things dark enough.... yet keeps a nice translucent quality at the same time.

Wow so much has been posted to the show and tell's since I last did!!! I don't have time to comment on individual creations but wanted to say how very impressed I am...the bar just keeps getting higher and higher by the month!!

Love
Sandra

Crazy Woman
04-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Sandra ~ These are awesome! You have captured scrimshaw ~ that was my first thought as I saw you photos! Your patience and note taking has truly paid off. Kudos! :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

Sheila M
04-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Nice work! Those came out great!

richsantaclaus
04-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Chow dog????? And here I thought it was a fat Panda!!!!!...lol,lol,lol

vivbama
04-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Yes, yes, yes, I love the new style!!!

Daenyris
04-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Beautiful work, keep them coming!!! :clap:

ABannie
04-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Sandra those pendants are Very nice! They remind me of some netsuke's I've seen & They definetely have that old world look of scrimshaw about them:-) ~Annie

starlightdesigns
04-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Those pendants are incredibly beautiful, Sandra. You have definitely mastered the technique well. Congratulations!

Hugs,

Debby

Cheng076
04-24-2007, 01:37 PM
When you have your first class in this style/technique sign me up! I'll pay ahead! I'll even move a fishing trip date.... and that's serious stuff.
The pendents are truely georgeous.
PJ

Crazy Woman
04-24-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm second to sign up!... right behind PJ.... Might not have to move a fishing trip date tho....:wink2:

bousky
04-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Sandra you are AMAZING! WOW!

notatriplet
04-25-2007, 07:26 PM
The detail is amazing. I can only guess that those little masterpieces took you hours to create.

I bow at your feet......Thanks for sharing.

electra-cute
04-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Thank you guys SO much!!! To hear these sweet compliments from such a talented bunch is truly truly flattering! I am so excited to be working on glass again and having so much support is sooooo inspiring!!

I finished another piece today that I took one step further and am really happy with this one (after 7 failed attempts..geesh!) I'll put it in the show and tell tonite but here's a peek at the pendant portion of hte necklace. I got the silver and coral beads when in China. They were hand crafted in Tibet! I call this 'Tibetan Talisman".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2007/50270-redkoicl.jpg

BIG HUGS!!!! AND MORE BIG HUGS!!!!!

Sandra

airwynnglass
04-25-2007, 11:12 PM
OMG! :clap: That is just stunning Sandra!!!
Keep us posted on this new technique of yours! Thanks for sharing!

~Erin

starlightdesigns
04-26-2007, 12:04 AM
I agree with Erin! SPECTACULAR!!! I am in total awe!!!

WOW!!!!

Hugs,

Debby

lizajayne
04-26-2007, 01:27 AM
Someone please pick my jaw and tongue up off the floor! That new red piece is just astounding Sandra!

electra-cute
04-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi again my friends!

THANK YOU all again SO much for your kindness!!!!! I laid awake most of lastnite trying to think of what to name this series, as this has such a
distinctive look. I plan to write a bit about scrimshaw and carving
in my blog to give some background on the art form that inspired the new designs.

Our upcoming trip to Africa was also a driving force behind my
wanting to get this style named. We will be visiting many game
preserves and going on safari for 4 weeks. I have an elephant
conservation project in mind...it all is falling together so nicely
with this "faux bone/ivory" look. Purely unintentional but a very
happy coincidence.

So I chose the extinct wooly mammoth as my mascot for my logo and
spent all day working on the little fella. One of the few legal
forms of ivory left for scrimshaw artists to work with is mammoth
ivory which is harvested during the thaws on the tundra by the
indigenous people in ...then sold to carvers etc. We surely don't
want our precious elephants and whales etc. to be wiped off the map
for the purely selfish reasons of personal adornment and decoration.

So here is what I came up with..the panda will be replaced with
whatever the current piece is I have to offer. It sure feels good to be
working again on my art. Sometimes it's good to take a break though..
the fire burns a lot hotter when you return to the bench again for sure!

Big hugs and Panda smooches...and I guess elephant kasnorks (remember Tim Conways skit???)
Sandra

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2007/50270-ieflier.jpg

CLICK HERE
http://sandramiller.com/ieflier.jpg

Spirit Fire
04-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Beautiful work Sandra, so glad you're posting new works again.

Greg

Spirit Fire Beads

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZspirit_fire_beadsQQhtZ-1

Juls
04-26-2007, 10:08 PM
HOLY SH*T, Sandra!

I'm totally braindead from an 8 hour torch day, so I scanned down to the pics and then had to go back and read to realise that those weren't carved or painted on bone.

ROCK ON, sister. I would say you have definitely perfected the look. Those pendants have a very textural appeal, even in an online picture.

Congrats!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

flameonglass
04-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Beautiful! The necklace you posted pictures of is wonderful as well!