PDA

View Full Version : Path

Old Tex
04-22-2007, 03:16 PM
This is part of a golf course near my home that has been closed for several months. Sad for the golfers, but as it's grown over, it provides a lot of interesting landscape views.

C&C welcome

Gouache 5x7
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2007/100938-Path_500.jpg

meglyman
04-23-2007, 08:24 AM
That's just too bad for the golfers. :D

I really like this one, Ralph. The red shadows are excellent compliments to the greens. Great job fading the trees into the distance. The sky, as always, is wonderful. I think your skies are so refreshing because they're not the "cookie-cutter" blue. They have such a great sense of warmth, conveying a hazy, hot day.

My one suggestion would be to tone down the contrast between the rock wall and the meadow (fairway?) beyond. It's mid-ground to background, but the high contrast brings if forward a little. However, it works very well as a compositional element.

The fence adds a perfect path through the composition. I love its blue shadow on the path, and the way you carried the blue into the tree. Excellent painting!

Meg

Sonia
04-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Great bright sunshine feeling.

Old Tex
04-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks, Meg. I always appreciate your comments. If you're referring to the dark area on our left, then I missed it. It's actually very dark shadow on the foliage across there and along the continuation of the pth. Maybe I should put a little definition in there.

Sonia, thanks! That's what I was trying to get.

meglyman
04-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Ralph,

Yep, I was talking about that dark area. Makes sense that it's a shadow. I like the shape - it's just that the contrast really draws the eye.

Meg