PDA

View Full Version : Oil pastels

christmascarolnz
05-02-2002, 01:54 AM
Has anyone tried oil pastels to the extent of thinning them with linseed oil or whatever it is the oil artists use?
I have tried the water mixable oils and have decided that pastels are the only way for me.
I have visited a site with pet portraits painted in oil pastel and the art work is incredible.
...anyone have any advice for me please?
I am still sold on soft pastels though.
Thanks,
Carol:)

sundiver
05-03-2002, 06:19 PM
I've thinned them with baby oil on a q-tip , but you have to have thick paper to absorb the oil or the paper stays oily forever.

Danitangel
05-10-2002, 10:56 AM
I have tried useing mineral spirits, but only very little. Then it was just to fade a lions mane into the background. Other than that I don't use anything. Check the animal and wildlife's May project for my latest painting. This link below is my progress pic's

lab Puppy (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/browse_progress2.php?userid=4885&proj_id=195)

Danitangel
05-10-2002, 04:38 PM
christmascarolnz,
Could you post the link to that site you mentioned? I'd like to see it.
Thanks,

christmascarolnz
05-11-2002, 05:23 AM
THe link is www.petportraits.com
I bought some oil pastels and some white spirits...that seems to work.
Now I just have to find something to paint. ..an egg perhaps?
The lab pup is great. Is that painted with oil pastels?
Thanks for replying,
Carol

christmascarolnz
05-11-2002, 05:30 AM
oops sorry, the link was incorrect. Here is the correct link to the oil pastel painter... http://www.petsinpastel.com
The artist is really good. Enjoy!
Cheers,

Carol

Danitangel
05-11-2002, 09:55 AM
Yes the lab pup is oil pastels.
Thanks for posting the link, the paintings are great!
I'm still learning myself, how to best use the Oil Pastels.

sundiver
05-11-2002, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the link. Now I see why you're so interested. Her work is incredible. I can't believe they are oil pastels.

christmascarolnz
05-11-2002, 11:58 PM
Yes, aren't the oil pastel paintings fantastic? I emailed her and told her that I am great for advertising! She is a new member here somewhere in the halls of wetcanvas...
Have a great day,
Carol

sundiver
05-12-2002, 03:52 PM
Great! Now we just have to get her in this forum and beg her for some progress pictures or/and tutorials.
Sarah, are you out there?