PDA

View Full Version : Q re: Mounting Photographs

Mushtie's friend
04-21-2007, 11:19 AM
hi everyone,
(I'm not sure if this is the correct part of the site for asking questions but here goes...)
Does anyone have any suggestions for a simple method of mounting photopraphs for an exhibition, (they'll be unframed and borderless) it doesnt have to be permanent, they'll only be hung for a few days. Is foam core board suitable for this purpose? What sort of adhesive? Whats the whole 'matting' thing about? I want them to look simple but professional when they're done. I'm new to this medium so laymans terms would be appreciated! Thanks

Oldthumbs
04-21-2007, 02:24 PM
This section is a good place to ask this question. I see you also posted in the Shutterbug Pub and Darkroom, so in order to keep the answers together, I've deleted your posts over there so that people can answer here.

You didn't mention whether the mounting method and media has to be archival or if this is just a one-time throw away situation. That would make a big difference. Also, what sizes are you doing?

The is a whole section on WC devoted to the subject of framing, right here -
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=201
It's mostly about artwork other than photographs, but they do discuss them in there every once in a while. Also, try searching this forum and the other photo forums for "mounting" and you will find other info here. (The "Search this forum" button is in on the right side of the blue bar above the thread listing when you are in the forum looking at the list of threads. ;) )

Ray

Mushtie's friend
04-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Thats great Ray, I'll have a look at those,

Windy
04-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Hiya. I would be thinking that a standard black or white matte board would give you a nice streamlined look, this is a nice thickish board with holes cut in it. The photo can be attached to the back with removable archival tape. You could then use the same boards for other exhibitions. If you sell your image already with matte in place, then it will be ready for framing.