PDA

View Full Version : Creeks

Old Tex
04-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Between trying to paint and deal with other things, I haven't posted or commented much in the past week, but I have been taking quick looks, and have seen some beautiful work. Did three little paintings last weekend, and two of them developed into mud. I think I may have saved the third one.

About a mile or so from my house, I cross a little creek going to work, and have always wondered what it looked like beyond the trees. The bulldozers are already moving in to build a subdivision around this creek, so I took my camera and explored last Saturday morning. Decided I should record this place before it gets "beautified". Here are two pieces that have resulted. The first one is about done, but I've got to clean up a couple of trees. The second one is still a bit "busy" and still needs a bit of work.

This is cross-posted in Landscapes. The gouache keeps talking to me, and I'm trying to listen. I think there's a direction developing, but I'm still exploring. Both are 5x7, gouache.

C&C welcome on both.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2007/100938-Creek_2_500.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2007/100938-Creek_500.jpg

Richard Saylor
04-20-2007, 01:56 AM
The second painting is more dynamic, but I really prefer the more relaxed composition and cooler, darker tones of the first one.

Do you have a market for your 5x7s? Are they selling?

pinkrybns
04-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Hi Ralph,

They are both wonderful, but, like Richard, I prefer the first one. I like the patterns created by the dark parts of the trees and that cool blue water. Good stuff!

~Judy

meglyman
04-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Ralph,

That first one is incredible! The lighting and foliage are beautiful, but my favorite part is the water. Great texture in that.

The second one is very good too. I like the warmth of the grasses and the cool water. My only suggestion would be to check the perspective... we're looking down at the creek, but the sky seems to start a little too low to match the creek view (does that make sense?).

I'm so glad you got to explore before they ruined the scenery. "Beautify," indeed. And it's wonderful to know you're feeling more comfortable with the gouache. It's tough to listen sometimes. I feel like I'm still all over the place.

And ditto on Richard's question. I just might want to buy one!

Meg

Old Tex
04-20-2007, 01:46 PM
First, Judy... thank you! Sometimes the gouache itself shows me something, and I have to follow its lead. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Richard... the answers to your questions are: sort of and not yet. I don't have the quantity or, in my opinion, the quality yet to even think about galleries. I am on an online gallery, but it's huge and easy to disappear in the crowd. We used to do the local parking lot and convention center shows years ago, and figure that may be the best way to get seen again, so we're trying to scrape together what we need to build a booth. I've got to so something, though, because I'm really getting tired of going to a job every day. I like doing the little 5x7s, and am hoping they will sell eventually. I've framed several of them with oversized mats, and they really look kind of nice. Hopefully, I'll figure out the marketing before too long.

Old Tex
04-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi Meg! You must have been posting while I was typing. Thank you very much! You know, I almost didn't finish that first one. Wasn't really happy with where it was going, but my wife talked me into fighting my way through it. I'm glad you like it.

The second one has a few things wrong with it, and everything right through the middle of the painting needs work. I'm also not happy with the shorelines, so if I can ever get this work day over with, I'm going home to see what I can do with it. I think I'm trying too hard to be faithful to the photo, which is something I've really got to get over.

I have posted some of the new paintings (as prints) on my website, which is tied to the online gallery, but I don't get charged a commission if someone goes in through my website first. My wife and I have an ongoing disagreement about the prices of the prints. I think they may be a bit too high, but she threatens me when I talk about adjusting them.

meglyman
04-23-2007, 08:11 AM
I looked through your website - nice setup. I'm all ears about how that rate works for you. I've seen quite a range, depending on subject matter. If I saw one of your matted prints at an art fair, I think what you're charging is just about right.