PDA

View Full Version : ?? on new wallis paper

johndill01
04-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Recently, I purchased several sheets of 25 x 36 Wallis Professional grade Belgian mist paper. I like to work with my paper mounted to foam core, since that eliminates another board on the easel. Today I mounted a 16 x 20 piece of the paper, using liquid adhesive, rolled the paper down with a large roller and then weighted it down to dry. After several hours under the weight, I removed the weight and was very distressed to see several large bubbles in the middle of the sheet. This has happened also using 3M 77 spray. What has changed in this new paper? Makes me regret having bought such a large amount of this. Also must mean that the Pro grade can no longer be washed if the painting is not what one wishes it to be.

Has anyone had this experience also? Do you have any suggestions for this problem?

Thanks, John

Deborah Secor
04-19-2007, 10:26 PM
John, have you discussed this with Kitty Wallis in her forum? It seems to me that she might have some sound advice for you, since this is her product. She's always been more than happy to 'show and tell' things about this paper! I'd sure ask her over there, if I were you.

I can't see how the difference in one ingredient in Wallis paper's coating would change the way it behaves when mounted--but maybe it could. I'm not sure. I've used Wallis Pro consistently for years (selling it to my students and doing demos for them on it), including the 'new' stuff, and I haven't had any problems or difficulties with spraying water or alcohol on it, or wiping it off in other ways. Again, I'd simply be sure to ask Kitty about it in her forum. Wish I could tell you more.

Deborah

Shari
04-20-2007, 01:03 AM
It works better with heat mounting, then there are no bubbles and no buckling. I have had several pieces of the belgian mist heat mounted and they work wonderfully that way. I still prefer to buy the museum grade though.