PDA

View Full Version : local festival

artyscope
04-19-2007, 05:12 AM
Hi,
I painted this picture in gouache of a local procession called the Perahera which I did for an exam. Hope you like it...thanks for lookin......:)http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2007/93064-perahera.jpg

Old Tex
04-20-2007, 11:47 PM
A nice soft painting. Nice job on the red cloak!

artyscope
04-21-2007, 02:03 AM
Thanks Ralph

meglyman
04-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Artyscope,

Great job on this painting! I really like the way you've made the people surrounding the elephant sort of blurry; I especially like their fading-out legs. Making the elephant all crisp and clear and red really draws the eye. I love the matching reds in the outfits and the drums. The buildings are well-rendered, too.

My only suggestion is composition. The focus is right in the middle of the paper, which gives the painting a very "static" feeling. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a note. It might help to crop some of the empty grey space along the bottom. And the trees are rendered very well, but because they're sharp and detailed as compared to the buildings and the people, they come forward a bit.

What kind of exam was it for - are you studying painting? If you are, I'm jealous. :D I really hope to see more of your work - you really used the gouache well!

Meg

artyscope
04-22-2007, 01:50 AM
Thanks, Meg, your comments are extremely helpful. I do notice all the points that you mention. Will definitely work on them. I am doing a correspondence course from an art college in UK to improve my skills.This is the response to an assignment based on the theme festivals. It is a really good learning experience, along with wetcanvas ofcourse. I teach kids at a school at present and want to learn more to be able to teach older children soon.Thanks once again for your very observant comments.