PDA

View Full Version : Calm Sea

tonyjazz
04-17-2007, 11:11 PM
This one took me 5 days painting a few hours every night. 16 x 20. Critiques help me a lot! Thanx for looking.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2007/103497-Calm_Sea.jpg

Keven_Miller
04-18-2007, 12:34 AM
I like the tree and rocks on the shoreline... Nice sloop too. You are progressing. Thanks for sharing.

dribear
04-18-2007, 12:37 AM
the sky is absolutely beautiful!!! I wish perhaps the mountain was a little lighter in color to convey more distance.

good work!

rmc
04-18-2007, 01:06 AM
beautiful sky Tony

Andun
04-18-2007, 03:18 AM
Nice perspective work Tony.:) I like the juxtaposition of the vessel and the tree on shore.They work well together!

chammi kaiser
04-18-2007, 03:28 AM
Hi Tony. Very nice work. I like the foreground a lot. Agree that perhaps the mountains could be a little softer and lighter . The sky is super. A few ripples of light in the water and it would be perfect. Well done.

dreamz
04-18-2007, 08:20 AM
I agree with all the above, that sky is fantastic. I think the tree could use more foliage, it looks like its had a bowl cut:lol: I like the color of the distant island but its a bit bright. Nice work on the rigging, even at this small size its apparent.. how did you achieve such fine lines??

swampborn
04-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Tony,
You did a great job on the sky in this one!
Gail

jan409
04-18-2007, 09:08 AM
I aggree with the above. You are doing great, but the background hills are lighter then before, but you need to have them grayer. And a little movement in the water. Jan

Briege
04-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi Tony,

The sky is great. I think the mountains do need to be a bit more muted in colour. A greyish/purply colour would help push them back. Apart from that it is a lovely painting - well done.

Briege :)

idcrisis55
04-18-2007, 11:21 AM
An enjoyable painting. I like that the boat is at rest with the sails furled. May I suggest that the pole on the boat be a bit stronger in color and also, more shadow in the water, with a few water ripples to delineate between the boat and the water reflection.

TxAggieDarlin
04-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Great sky, I cannot seem to do clouds :)

I think you have gotten some great advice so I will just say, keep it up.

C_Line
04-18-2007, 11:52 AM
How did you do those soft clouds? They almost look airbrushed...are they? Nice work, thanks for sharing.

nanfreida
04-18-2007, 02:18 PM
:thumbsup: This one took me 5 days painting a few hours every night. 16 x 20. Critiques help me a lot! Thanx for looking.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2007/103497-Calm_Sea.jpgVery nice.Love the tree and sky:thumbsup:

tonyjazz
04-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Keven: Thanx for your comments, very much appreciated
Dr. Ibear: The sky is my favorite so far, Thanx for the comments, I actually TRIED to make those mountains lighter, my mountains here are always GREEN with so much vegetation, I guess it's ingrained in me but, I do want more depth and will do so in future paintings.

RMC: Thanx so much for your comments, it really means a lot to me!

Tony in Japan: Thanx for looking and sharings your thoughts, you are an awesome painter man! I look forward to see you post Mt. Fuji, soon!

Chammi Kaiser: Ripples, wow, I forgot about those! Thanx for your comments I really appreciate your input and advice.

DreamZ: Thanx for the comments, I always appreciate your personal feedback on my art and apply it to future paintings. The rigging was done with my trusty # 2 lead pencil with a ruler, then painted over with watered down color done real slow! Only way I could do that! Now I know how to paint the strings on my next cuatro paintings. Thanx for looking man!

Swampborn: Thanx so much for your time to view this. Wow, I'm flustered at all this attention, LOL. Thanx..............

Jan: Thanx, your critiques on this is very beneficial to me as a painter. I will definetly try harder on my backgrounds, I have to be more patient and more concentrated on this important subject. Gracias..........

Briege: Thank you very much for your comments, there's a pattern here I'm delighted to see that helps me paint better from all you artists! Thanx.

idcrisis55: First of all just let me say that if you enjoyed this paintings I feel great, especially coming from a WC guide! Your suggestions are perfect! I really wanted to paint this sloop a LOT bigger and show more detail, then I got timid and painted it small, need some more courage. Muchas Gracias...

Txaggiedarlin: Thanx for looking, you CAN do clouds if you want to. They are easy with the right techniques....

C Line: Now for the good stuff! Thanx for looking. Not airbrushed! Bob Ross technique I use plus some other stuff! First I apply a base coat of white real WET, for this painting I used some Papyrus brushes I made that grow by the river. I cut them green and let them turn dry and brown and cut the bristles to my desired shapes. Used cerulean blue with these brsuhes in spurts across the canvas as I felt they should go, then got a brush pool players use to clean the table. It's a long 5 inch skinny brush and dry brushed it downward left leaning strokes. Then with a fan brush pushed in lightly the dark and other tones. Went back with a 2 inch DRY brush VERY softly till I got what I wanted then cleaned the brush and did circular motion, clean and circular, dry, over and over till it was done. Viola! Nice skies...............Hope this helps someone with clouds.........

Nanfrieda: I see you have 1 post. Welcome, you are going to love this forum as much as I do. Thanx for your comments Gracias.....

Kerch
04-19-2007, 12:04 AM
I really like the sky and the rocks in the foreground. Good work!

Andun
04-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Yeah..the missus wants me to paint Mt.Fuji too.I really should since I see it every day but........