PDA

View Full Version : Frame suppliers in the UK ??

soap
04-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Hello
I am sure this has been discussed before, but I cannot find anything about it and perhaps new people have new ideas.....:p

I always find it a bit of a struggle to find decent frames for my paintings. I don't know any good frame shops around here and the one that does do decent frames (mostly for prints) is not very cheap and won't give me any discount on bulk buy....

So I wander from Ikea to Wilkinson, to John Lewis and anywhere really. I've tried Framecraft Wales years ago and they are cheap but am not sure they still exist (they don't have a website for example).

Where oh where do you (UK PEOPLE!) get your picture frames from?
Is Hobbycraft any good/affordable? Proffessional framers (pricey!) or also everywhere like me?

I hope some of you got some ideas to help me out....

Am waiting for your answers!:D :wink2:

thanks

Bringer
04-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi there,

With a strong currency against the dollar and with such low prices in USA, why not import from there ?
I bought a nice frame from Dick for less than 20 Euro. Golden with linen and a thin golden line.
Of course that one has to be carefull so that it doesn't pass a certain value because of taxes. And I always say that it's thorugh USPS (post offices), NEVER through UPS, FEDEX and alikes.
Or you can ask someone to buy them for you and this way you can have them sent 3 or 4 frames each time.
I can tell you that a frame like the one I bought would cost me, if bought in Portugal, about 60 or 70 Euro.

Kind regards,

Josť

P.S. what about http://www.gerstaecker.co.uk ?

soap
04-18-2007, 03:54 AM
mmm..yes...I've considered it many times, also for other art supplies. But the postage and (possibly) customs always made it too expensive. To keep postage low it would make sens to buy in bulk but then customs are bound to be added and there goes my saving...I'll reconsider Dick Blick and the likes! Thanks!

VeronicaF
04-18-2007, 04:03 AM
Hi,I don't know if this is the right thing to do or not?
but what I do is I get my frames from charity shops,and car boot sales.I have found some beautful frames in these places really cheap.hope it might help
kind regards Veronica

soap
04-18-2007, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the Veronica! Its a good idea!
Will keep an eye out for carboot sales.

Jose, I just noticed Dick Blick does not provide glass with their frames. The frames look good, but then I have to go out and find glass somewhere.....too much hassle for me really. I just want to have a good stock of simple, affordable - but good quality looking - frames so I can frame when and what I want. Thanks! Its a shame Dick Blick does not exist in the UK. the art supply catalogues are soooo expensive for frames!

eyeinthesky
04-18-2007, 04:39 AM
Hi Sophie, I too have trouble finding nice frames that are inexpensive, I hadn't thought of car boot sales though, might give that a try. My first stop is always Wilkinson, as I work for them and get a staff discount, but they don't have many that I like and they are usually smaller sizes. I will check back to see if anyone comes up with an alternative.
Dave

*Marina*
04-18-2007, 07:19 AM
When you are in Holland, Soap, why not go to Deviree in Leiden. They do excellent metal "wissellijsten" made by Barth. I frame all my work in them and they seem to be popular. Maybe tastes are different in the UK. Of course that I don't know.

soap
04-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks for that Dave...how handy to get a discount! LOL

Marina - thanks!! I did think of looking around when in Holland. Can you give me some idea of prices for those frames (the shop doesn't seem to have a website), for example a size and price? I'll look around on the web for Barth to see what they look like.

*Marina*
04-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Have a look on my website under Elstar and then detail. You see one hanging in its surroundings (in Italy). I will pm you for addresses and details.

plec
04-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Hello I tend to do it the other way around I buy my frames when the various supplies (IKEA, ETC.) are having their sales, so I always have a collection to choose from. Charity shops are also a good idea, but watch out for damage, some of them have had a long life.
Best wishes, Ken..

Bringer
04-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi again,

I know what you mean about customs, but that's if an invoice comes with it.
If it's a private person sending it, at the post office they'll just ask to put a certain value if it has a certain size or weight. Of course that the value that the person will write will be.....see what I mean ?
But let me give you an example for my case :
I buy two frames from Dick Blick (and I don't use another person).
Those frames are for 10 by 14 inches (about 25 x 35 cms) works i.e. the interior of the frame.
They will cost me both about 40 dollars (I'm talking about golden ones with linen). To that I'll add 30 dollars postage (United States Post Oficce air mail).
That's 70 dollars, or about 52 Euro or I guess 36 pounds ?
If I buy them here they'd cost me about 130 Euro.
Even buying 2 or 3 frames each time to avoid customs, it compensates.
Or like I said before, use someone you know.
Just DON'T use other carriers than post office . At least here is a really bad idea.

Kind regards,

Josť

LorraineG
04-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Hi Soap,

I can help you out here.

I get my frames from an excellent company in Devon. They are called "Frame Warehouse"

I have used them for 7 years or so. Their prices are really good and the service is excellent.

They send you a frame sample pack. All you need to do is let them know if you would like the watercolour/pastel frames or oil or both. Plus they also send all their mount samples.

I buy the whole package. Mount, frame, backing board and glass from them.

They have a minimum order value of £30 plus £10 postage.

Here is a link to their website www.framewarehouseuk.com/framing_fineartprints.php

I highly recommend them.