PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble - April 16-22

Kathryn Wilson
04-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Good Monday Morning everyone! Kate is taking some time off to be with her sister and asked that I step in to help with the Scumble.

For those who are new to the forum, this thread is for members to share family news, personal events they want to talk about - pretty much everything other than "pastel talk".

So come on in, grab a beverage, sit down and have a good chat :wave:

Kat

Pat Isaac
04-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi Kat, hope you are feeling better. Were you affected by our Nor'easter? It was wild here overnight and the rain has subsided some now. Marathon is still on!

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
04-16-2007, 11:22 AM
It was quite a hairy day yesterday - tornado warnings all day, but nothing came of it, thank goodness. Today we are having tremendous wind gusts - I am sure some trees will fall as we had close to 3" of rain that soaked the soil.

Bill Foehringer
04-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi Kat! So far you're doing a great job with the scumble! ;) Thanks for stepping in, I know Kate is going through some heavy weather in her life.
Well my news is that we had our house appraised for sale and it looks like we'll probably be able to realize enough from the sale to make the next move to a senior community where Kathy hopes to be able to use the pool and make some friends.
I'm hoping we can afford either the third bedroom or a basement for my art stuff.
Life is change.
BillF

Kathryn Wilson
04-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Good Morning Bill - life is indeed change. Now that I am on my own, I will have to re-invent myself and my life. Many days I wonder what is in store and even deeper thoughts as to what the heck am I doing here. I feel like I am in limbo with no purpose to my life, and so I am floundering.

I am glad you and Kathy have some good things coming your way and it sounds like an excellent move. Even if you can't get that 3rd bedroom or basement, think about the rooms you really will use. Currently my dining room is for storing things and used very seldom for dinners or company - so think about creative use of space.

P.S. - I am the grandparent for the Scumble, I was the host before Kate took it over - :)

Pat Isaac
04-16-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm glad to hear that you will be able to make a good change, Bill.
I'm sure you'll be out of limbo soon, Kat. You have so many abilities and talents.
Take care, both of you,

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
04-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Some sad news - for those who have been following Kate's sister's story - she passed away this afternoon. It's so very hard to express what you feel when many miles are between friends. Here's hugs to you sweetie - {{{{{hugs}}}}}

CJMonty
04-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Kate, BIG HUGS to you

Love CJ :heart:

Dot Hoffman
04-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Kate, I am so sorry to hear about your sister's passing. Love and hugs to you, and peace.

CM Neidhofer
04-17-2007, 10:11 AM
All my hugs, thoughts and prayers to you and your family, Kate.

Christine

Kathryn Day
04-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Kate, so sorry for your loss. I have four sisters and can't imagine the loss you must feel. Sisters have a very deep bond. Sending hugs to you.

PeggyB
04-17-2007, 02:38 PM
My deepest sympathy to you and your family Kate. May memories of the good times, and knowing she is no longer in pain sustain you forever, and heal the pain of loss.
Peggy

K Taylor-Green
04-17-2007, 09:27 PM
You guys are the best. Everyone should have such a great support system!
It has been a rough couple of days, but mom is doing better than I had expected. I'm sure after the service is over though, it will really set in.
Tammy had been sick for so long, that after awhile, with all the setbacks she survived, you get to thinking it can go on forever. But I had seen how much she had regressed this past 6 mo. or so, and knew it was going to be pretty soon. I didn't expect it to go so fast when the end came, though. From the time she came home, with hospice in attendance, it was only two days till she was gone.
I'll always remember the last good visit I had with her, just a couple of weeks ago. We laughed and talked, and I took her for a spin in her wheel chair around the nursing home grounds. I will cherish that day, always.

CJMonty
04-17-2007, 10:12 PM
My thoughts are with yourself and your family Kate. I hope your Mum continues to do well, give her my love and BIG HUGS to you all.

Lots of Love CJ :heart: :heart: :grouphug: Group hug from everyone.

chewie
04-17-2007, 11:16 PM
oh kate, I'm thinking good thoughts your way. there sure seems to have been some hard times for many here lately.

I am so very glad you had that last good day tho., it will carry you far. when my gramma died several years ago, I was unspeakablely grateful that I hadn't forgotten to call her, as she died days later. I fall back on that call when I miss the fact that i cannot call her still, as you will your sister and the visit.

and bill, I think the comment on using your space, whatever it is, is wise. even harley brown used a bathroom for a year when he had no studio space! taped his papers to the mirror! there are lots of ways to use bits of space. but, I hope you get the extra space you're trying to get!

hugs kate, we're here for you

Pat Isaac
04-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Many thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I was glad to hear that your Mom was doing better than expected and how wonderful you had that last day with your sister. That memory will sustain you.
:grouphug: :heart: Pat

Kathryn Wilson
04-18-2007, 11:05 AM
I talked with Kate last evening at length and she is holding up okay - a mixture of relief and sadness that her sister is gone and no longer suffering.

bluefish
04-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Kate:

My sincere sympathy to you and your family at this trying time -

'bluefish'

E-J
04-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Kate - I'm so sorry to read that you have lost your sister. I'm sure you have many wonderful memories of her that you will cherish. My condolences to you and your family.

Shari
04-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Kate, bless you in this challenging time, my prayers are with you.

Merriel
04-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Kate: Very sorry to hear of your loss. It is the most difficult of all things I believe as I just lost my mom of 92 years. My prayers are with you and your family.

Merriel (leirrem_)

Diana_pastels
04-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Kate,
I am so sorry for you loss. I will be praying for you and your family.
Diana

Bringer
04-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi Kate,

I am so sorry about your lost.
I cannot imagine what you must be feeling, but I do hope that the caring from all the coleagues here will somehow ease this moment.

Kindest thoughts,

Josť

Bringer
04-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi,

I've added a gallery image and a profile at the Saatchi gallery - always trying to gain more visibility :-)
Here's the link :

http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/yourgallery/artist_profile/Josť+Carrilho/33571.html

Kind regards,

Josť

Lisa M
04-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi Kate and Merriel, too,
Your losses sadden us all as we know how hard it is. I just want to share a short poem I chose for Terry's funeral last September. He is my brother-in-law, a dear and close friend and brother to me, who was killed suddenly in a train/car accident, shortly after returning from many long and dangerous months in Iraq.

This poem is by Leslie Mormon Silko, a Native American writer, and it is a song passed down through mothers and daughters. (It doesn't seem to have a title.)

The earth is your mother,
she holds you.
The sky is your father,
he protects you.
Sleep,
sleep.
Rainbow is your sister,
she loves you.
The winds are your brothers,
they sing to you.
Sleep,
sleep.
We are together always
We are together always
There never was a time
when this
was not so.

It's been a rough week with the loss of so many lives at Virginia Tech, too, and I guess these things remind us all of what is really important in life.

Take care,
lis

Pat Isaac
04-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Rough, indeed. Thank you for sharing the lovely song.

Pat

PeggyB
04-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Merriel I'm sorry to hear of your Mom's passing. 92 years is a long life, but never long enough to those who are left behind. May you find joy in your memories of your time together.

Lisa, thank you for sharing such a lovely poem. To my mind's eye, the visual images are soothing indeed.

Josť thanks for sharing your gallery page. I now know you are the same age as my oldest son! Nice picture of you too. :cool:

Peggy

Merriel
04-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Lisa, Peggy, thank you so much, that is a lovely piece and should be remembered. Yes so many lives lost that we hear about and are saddened but when it comes home to us then it really wakes us up to all the pain and suffering that is going on. I have one grandson in college and never thought
of such a terribe thing happening. He is not in Virginia but of course that can
happen anywhere. I'm so sorry for Kate, and others that have lost loved ones and can only say I think the pain lessens in time but will never go away I'm sure. I feel they walk with God and what a nice place to be.

On a happier note I am painting now and hopefully will get back to posting
Hope everyone going to the convention has a great time, I'm sure you all
will. Wow Peggy its a long drive, be safe.

Merriel

PeggyB
04-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Hope everyone going to the convention has a great time, I'm sure you all
will. Wow Peggy its a long drive, be safe.
Merriel

Yes it is a long drive, but when broken into the segments that I drive it is very easy. Including gas and walking breaks no day is more than 7 1/2 hours from point to point. All road ways are major interstates - I 90 to Missoula MT and then Sheridan WY where I'll take two nights and a day rest at my brother's home, and then I 25 to Denver to see my Mom and other brother overnight, and then I 25 to Albuquerque. I'll stay longer with Mom on the return trip. I know the road well, and always enjoy the scenery. I'm all set with plenty of books on tape too to keep my mind occupied and the hours just flash by when listening to books.

Peggy

Pat Isaac
04-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Sounds as if you are all set for a great trip, Peggy. I hope the weather is good too.

Pat

K Taylor-Green
04-21-2007, 09:40 AM
I want to thank you all for so much concern and support. You are truly, a caring group of people.

Merriel, I am sorry to hear about your mom. So sad to lose a parent, at any age.

The services for Tammy, my sister, was yesterday evening. To me it was a very different experience as it was conducted by a Catholic priest. Tammy's husband was born Catholic, but didn't practice. And as neither of them went to church, my other sister, who IS Catholic, by instruction, asked her parish priest to do it. There were tears, but much laughter, as Father Mike made her live again in the minds of those who were present. He made it easier to say goodbye. I think we are going to be ok.

Pat Isaac
04-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm glad to hear that you aare all going to be okay. It is always nice when the service is a celebration of life and the priest makes it personal.

Take care.
Pat

CJMonty
04-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Kate, I am so pleased that you and your family are finding things easier to cope with than what you had anticipated. Sound like that Priest did a good job with the service.

:grouphug: CJ :heart: :heart:

PeggyB
04-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Sounds as if you are all set for a great trip, Peggy. I hope the weather is good too.

Pat

Oh yah - the weather :rolleyes: Well I've driven through snow, sand, and rain so heavy I had to pull off the road or follow immediately behind a big truck that I hoped could find the way (it did). One time was on the way to a convention too (the Santa Fe convention), but I left about a week earlier than this time so I could go to Ghost Ranch first. Bad weather isn't fun, but I respect it, and know how to drive in it. However, I too hope it is good weather all the way - hear that Colorado?! :lol:

Peggy

chewie
04-21-2007, 07:26 PM
thought some might like to see a branding, we did ours today, around 250 calves. cows were worked first, (shots) then calves are branded, given various shots, and casterated. we had around 20 ppl here, I cooked alot, rode some, and held some calves. its a good day usually, today went very well, and its good to see everyone. we are all so busy and this stuff is almost as much social as business.

first shot is the gang bringing in the herd to the pens. the second shot is my girls, hubby and neighbors holding down and working a calf. the third is my BIL getting a loop to grab some heels to drag the calf to the ppl waiting to work them. the forth is my hubby with a branding iron. i have lots more photos, if anyone is interested, or maybe this is enough!!

Pat Isaac
04-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks, Chewie for these photos. It is nice to realize that this still goes on amd how it is done. We here on the east coast only see this in the old western movies....

Pat

Bringer
04-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi there,

Your husband is walking towards you with the branding iron....I wonder what he's thinking.....:-)

Kind regards,

Josť

Dot Hoffman
04-21-2007, 09:21 PM
I know how silly this sounds, but you are living the life I dreamed of when I was 12. It never happened, but I'm happy anyway, and now too "old" to want it anymore :lol:

Your pix made me remember my dream, though. Thanks for the memory :)

Kathryn Wilson
04-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Looks like some great shots for paintings!

Merriel
04-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Wow Peggy you'll get to see a lot of family that will be wonderful, plus they
will be very happy too. I hope you have company on that drive. Sounds great.
Don't forget your camera...

merriel

PeggyB
04-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Wow Peggy you'll get to see a lot of family that will be wonderful, plus they
will be very happy too. I hope you have company on that drive. Sounds great.
Don't forget your camera... merriel

:lol: :lol: :lol: One of the things I like best about this particular trip is there is no company on the drive! I have music, books on cd, my cell phone, and my Guardian Angles with me. I throughly enjoy making all the decisions myself: to stop or not to stop, listen to something or enjoy the silence of a speeding car, alone with my thoughts, and yes indeed the camera sits on the seat beside me "just in case". I've enjoyed trips with companionship too, but this one is "set in stone" as far as I'm concerned for my own pleasure and no one else to have to consider.

Peggy

PS Chewie, I can smell the hide burning in the first picture! Don't think I could stand to be around that very much even though I know it is a part of "the culture".

K Taylor-Green
04-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Oh my gosh, Chris! The old west comes to life. My hubby would LOVE to work like this!

Lisa M
04-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Kate, I'm glad your family is healing and that you'll have memories of a nice memorial day. We'll be thinking of you.

Chewie, if I had known you were working cattle I'd have thrown the saddle in the car and driven on over there to help!! I grew up working on a farm, but that which distinguishes a "farm" from a "ranch" kept me from all that excitement of the true ranching culture. My horses were just for fun--we didn't use them for work (Dad hates them).
I too had that fantasy as a kid of working on a ranch, riding horse all day on the open prairies, and had the chance to do that (the work part anyway:) ) a couple of summers ago when I hauled one of my mares to a friend's ranch for the summer and helped move, check, feed and work the cattle a couple times a week. It was the most fun I've ever had in my life. My romanticized view of ranching was not altered, for I already knew the amount of work and stress involved when it's your own business and quality of life at stake, and I miss those 300-some red Angus and the babies. I plan to get up there to take some pictures soon, and maybe do a story for Farm and Ranch magazine if they'll let me. :)
So thanks, Chewie, for posting the photos!! I could never look at enough of them. Happy trails!!

lisa

chewie
04-22-2007, 04:21 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: One of the things I like best about this particular trip is there is no company on the drive! I have music, books on cd, my cell phone, and my Guardian Angles with me. I throughly enjoy making all the decisions myself: to stop or not to stop, listen to something or enjoy the silence of a speeding car, alone with my thoughts, and yes indeed the camera sits on the seat beside me "just in case". I've enjoyed trips with companionship too, but this one is "set in stone" as far as I'm concerned for my own pleasure and no one else to have to consider.

Peggy

PS Chewie, I can smell the hide burning in the first picture! Don't think I could stand to be around that very much even though I know it is a part of "the culture".

boy peggy, i sure can hear ya on the travelling alone bit--i have begun to LOVE that. for all your same reasons! some time ago someone had left me hanging (for the last time!)and i was at first, dismayed at going to a paint out alone. then, as i met new ppl, did things i more than likely wouldn't have with this other person, i discovered that going alone was not only ok, but much preferred! the plein air group is fun for that very reason--we get together for supper, fun, etc, then paint all day on own! good fun!

as for the branding, it is hard, knowing the stress and pain on those babies, and if anyone has a better way to deal with it all, i'm sure we'd try it.

its funny, lots of times in the old movies, its sooo not the way it is~! often we see the 'cowboys' trying to rope wrong, and saying things that are actually very funny! and horses seldom make much noise either, never hollering and nickering at every turn, and certainly not running for miles on end!

lisa, i wish i'd of known!! i'm usually the only woman around, other than my kids and/or a neighbor girl, and i'd of gladly welcomed some female company!

and bringer, he's branded me long ago:lol: :lol: :p

glad i could share, and if any of those strike your fancy, they are welcome to be used for your own, but you gotta show me if ya do!!

CJMonty
04-23-2007, 12:28 AM
I would love to see some more of those pics. If I were not so far away I would have loved to be able to come over and give a hand, but it is rather a lot of years since I last rode a horse.

CJ :heart:

meowmeow
04-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Kate, I am so sorry for your loss! I know this has been a really hard time for you and your family. I am glad you have so many wonderful memories. Hopefully they will help sustain you through this time.

Merriel, I am sorry for your loss as well. I know how hard it is to lose a parent.

Bill, that is great news about your house. I hope things go smoothly and you are able to move to a place that works for all of you.

Kat, I can't imagine how you are feeling but hope you begin to find you way soon.

We survived the awful April weather here in Maine. Water and tree limbs everywhere! Many people were without power for several days. Fortunately we didn't lose power with the last storm but didn't have cable for a while. Now the sun is out and it is supposed to be 80 degrees today! What a change! I am working on my first snowstorm painting and hope to be posting it soon. It feels funny to be painting the snow now that it is gone but it was so beautiful I couldn't resist.

I hope things improve for everyone. It seems like this was a hard week...hopefully this new week will be better.

Sandy