PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread April 16 - 22

Paula Ford
04-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Hello Artists :wave:

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists who use soft pastels, hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, itís up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when youíre creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

Please click here to see last week's fabulous sketches .... http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414063 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414063)

Please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)

Pat Isaac
04-16-2007, 10:16 AM
I have now missed 2 weeks!!! Definitely will get something up this week.

Pat

Pat Isaac
04-16-2007, 04:39 PM
The storm left, so I was able to get to my studio.
Here is my # 13 sketch.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2007/35760-13_sketch.jpg

Pat

hopalong
04-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Pat, so glad the storm left. Looks like it was a doozy!
I missed last week too (boo hoo) BUt I'm NOT missing this week. I love your jug with flower. I like how you have shaped the bulge in the pitcher and given a bit of sparkle to the leading edge of the rim.

Pat Isaac
04-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks, Lindsay. Yeah, the storm was a doozy, but it wasn't white!!

Pat

hopalong
04-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Thank God for that! White on April 15 would truley be weird! As you can see II'm here goofing off instead of doing a sketch!

Pat Isaac
04-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Well, get to it girl....:lol:

Pat

AnnieA
04-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Pat: It's a lovely sketch of the flower in the brown jug. I particularly like the color scheme. Nice job. :)

Pat Isaac
04-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks, Annie.

Pat

Dougwas
04-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Nice sketch Pat. I like how you have the light bounching off of the mug. I see what you mean about the shaddow grounding the object.

Doug

Pat Isaac
04-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks, Doug.

Pat

Paula Ford
04-17-2007, 06:48 AM
Beautiful sketch Pat...my favorite colors!!!

Paula

marie_d
04-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Lovely sketch Pat, like the colours especially the green stems against the brown jug. Nice highlights on the handle and the rim.
I,m another who missed sending anything in last week, hope to do something this week.
marie :)

dobber
04-17-2007, 12:57 PM
This was done in about an hour could have been a little over. It's very small 3 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches on burnt orange canson.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2007/99764-File0043.jpg

Pat Isaac
04-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Beautiful piece, and it is so small...Love the muted colors in the background.

Pat

marie_d
04-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Dobber, beautiful work, so much to look at on such a small scale. I love the foreground colours of the flowers and the grass.
Marie :)

Paula Ford
04-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Beautiful Dobber!!

Love the colors in this...WOW
I love doing things in small scale also.

Paula

dobber
04-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks Pat, Marie and Paula. I really enjoy doing small paintings. 5x7 and 8x10's are my favorite. I feel they are more intimate.

Dobber

AnnieA
04-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Dobber, Hi! Welcome to WC and the Pastel Sketch thread! :wave:

Wow, what a nice painting. The color is lovely and the path is just so inviting - you've composed the piece well. Nice job on the aerial perspective, too. And so tiny! It looks like a perfect day. I'm glad you've joined us and hope to see more of your work soon. :)

Yusuke
04-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi there artists,

Pat,
I like the way you usually select colors on shadows. The composition is sophisticated.

Lindsay,
Oh, you have missed last week? Ah, I was misunderstanding. I uncauciously got Doug's comment as yours last week (I looked at my post again..). Sorry Lindsay, sorry Doug.:o

Dobber,
Welcome! Nice attractive piece! Burnt orange background worked well putting the warm taste on the grassy land.

Well, I tried a kind of reproduction for a change. This is a part of Vermeer's Milk Maid. I referred to my book. Lot to learn. Oil pastels as usual but it took 20 minutes over an hour... I couldn't stop.:p
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2007/51042-1046.jpg

vmiller
04-17-2007, 09:27 PM
as usual Yusuke, absolutely wonderful. I love the effect of the unfinished areas too, it gives a sort of atmosphere to the painting.
I, too was away last week, but I am back now, and back to work!
Pat, I am so pleased to see somthing of yours at last! Your jug has a beautiful warm glow.
Dobber, you didn't really do this in an hour did you? wow! It's a masterpiece.
well too much talking (or writing) doesn't get the job done, does it? so I'm off to painting group
Vicki

Paula Ford
04-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Yusuke,

What a wonderful painting...and 1hour 20 minutes. That's fast! Terrific work, as always.

Paula

sundiver
04-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Yasuke!:eek: :eek: :clap:
Pat, that's a great little still life. Dobber, your landscape makes me long for spring. (We got Pat's storm too, and Friday was even a snow day- no school!)
I went out Friday afternoon and did a plein air from the car but went well over the hour so it won't fit here.

marie_d
04-18-2007, 05:46 AM
Yusuke - great painting. I love the section you have chosen to paint, the shapes, colours, etc perfect.

Pat Isaac
04-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.
Yusuke, what a nice little study and it has some of your famous breads in it. i like the vignette appearance of the painting.

Pat

Doris Baggett
04-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Pat...the complimentary blue shadow cast by the orange pitcher is very effective.

Helen.....you exhibit great control of the medium especially on such a challenging support,.....This balanced composition leaves no doubt as to your focal point....Good work!

Yusuke.....Beautifully dramatic!...I can almost hear the liquid splashing into the container Super cool!

Dougwas
04-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Dobber- Great colours and such detail in a small painting. With the faded mountains in the b/g the painting has depth. Very nice painting.

Yusuke- All that detail in 1 hour and 20 minutes??? WOW. Love the bread basket and the bread. Great job.

It's Thursday and this is my first painting for the week. Sometimes real life gets in the way. This is 6 x 9 on black Canson paper using Rembrandts and Senneliers. Photo from the RL. It took i hour. Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2007/102199-April_16_07_Sketch_1.jpg
Doug

Pat Isaac
04-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Nice lily, Doug. I like the light in the cup of the flower. Yes, life does often get in the way, but that's okay.

Pat

Paula Ford
04-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi Doug,

Your lily is lovely. Your colors choice is really nice also. Love seeing strokework!

Paula

hopalong
04-20-2007, 08:43 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2007/81895-Fullersburg_woods_April_07_blog_version.jpg
I have to go to work in a VERY short while so I'll be back later to comment on everyone's WONDERFUL work. I did not want to miss another week of sketching so here I am with a sketch (about 1 hour, give or take) of the Salt creek. I'm starting a project called Illinois Waterways and I want to document the Rivers and Lakes in our area. If you are interested in seeing the start of the project, here is a link to my blog posts about the project. I made the commitment to start this project over in the Goal Posts link! Nice to have that prod!
See you guys later for comments!

http://straightlinesout.blogspot.com/search/label/Waterways%20Project

Pat Isaac
04-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Very nice start to your project, Lindsay. I really like all the new green buds on the trees and the shimmering water behind.

Pat

chewie
04-20-2007, 01:53 PM
geesh, i feel like a bum! i've got nothing, and come here to see, and so many nice sketchings!

way to go dobber! i think you shoulda stopped in tho., as it seems you were in my area? this place looks just down the road from me! nice!

and the milk maid, very cool! i love that! i very much like your style/technique.

hopalong
04-20-2007, 03:34 PM
OK I'm home from work and can properly see and talk about everyone's work!
Dobber, your landscape is sooooooooooooooo beautiful. I just love the orange along side the path and you carry that same color all the way along the path into the deep part of the painting.

Yusuke! Amazing composition here. I love how the whites just sparkle. Really beautiful use of color too

Doug, I'm really paying attention to your stroke by stroke build up of your flower. I think I want to to this in ops too, It makes for a delecate and shimmery surface. Lovely!

I really do want to do more sketching. So I'm off to play! LAter GAtors.:)

marie_d
04-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi everyone,

Doug - Lovely lily, like the detailed roll and sharp edge of the lily petal. Nice pastel strokes.

Lyndsey - Nice water scene, love the shimmer on the water and the little tree in the foreground.

Didnt manage to post anything last week but have just managed to complete one now, SP on bluish paper 6"x6". Took about one hour 10 mins. Photo from ref library, waterlily.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2007/102905-waterlily_005.jpg

Pat Isaac
04-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Lovely lily, Marie. Really like all the shades of pink in the white flower and the carry over to the green leaves.

Pat

Paula Ford
04-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Lindsay,

What a wonderful project! I'll be watching.

I love the shapes of the trees you have in your sketch. In downtown Chattanooga there are trees that look exactly like that and I just love them.

Paula

Paula Ford
04-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi Marie,

What a beautiful waterlily and an absolutely lovely painting!

Paula

Yusuke
04-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Vicki, Paula, Wendy, Marie, Pat, Doris, Doug, Lindsay, and chewie,
Thanks for the comments on my reproduction of Vermeer's milk maid!

Doug,
I like the usage of the green background. But, eh, the original background was darker? It gives nice effect.

Lindsay,
Great expression on the water surfaces!

Marie,
Oh, lotus flower. I like the contrast and warm color on the leaves.

Well, mine. My wife in kimono. Oil pastels. It took 45 minutes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2007/51042-naomi210407.jpg

Pat Isaac
04-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Yusuke, you are lucky to have your wife sit for you and you do wonderful portraits of her, maybe you should do a quick self-portrait. The blue obi just shimmers and the folds of the kimona are expertly done.

Pat

Paula Ford
04-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Yusuke,

What a beautiful portrait of your wife....really lovely lady and such a wonderful painting.

Paula

hopalong
04-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks Marie and Paula! Maire, your water lillies look so robust! Great colors.

Paula, ok, we've been waiting patiently...how is your studio set up coming along??? Are you joining in next week????? Enquiring Minds Want To See!
Chattanooga must be kind of chill now too. These leaf buds are waiting and waiting! Can't wait for warmer weather. Thanks for your comments

Yusuke, your wife is so beautiful. I love how you express the fabaric.

marie_d
04-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Pat, Paula, Lindsay, thank you for your comments on my waterlily. I really enjoyed doing it. I,m loving using pastels so much and hope to improve enough to attempt a landscape or sunset painting sometime.

Yusuke - Lovely portrait painting, love the choice of colour for your paper, nice contrast against your beautiful wifes dark hair. Nice folds in the kimono, like the highlights in the folds.

AnnieA
04-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi everyone!

Yusuke: I just love the copy you did - it's just beautiful. It's amazing what can be done with OP. The light in it is lovely and it shows your own special touch (besides the bread, I mean :D) And the sketch of your wife is lovely too. What is the thing that is around her waist, over the obi? Is it common to wear a kimono in Japan, or are they primarily for special occasions? I like the way your loose style is so adaptable - everything you touch turns out great, Yusuke. Beautiful work. :)

Doug: Nice work on the calla lilly. I like the glow you've gotten on the underside of the bloom. What did you think about working on black Canson?

Lindsay: The sketch of Salt Creek is nice, especially the color. Like Pat, I like the way the water shimmers - very beautiful, and the delicate buds on the branches say spring is coming. Waterways is a great idea for a project - it should keep you really busy! Aren't there a lot of waterways where you are? I visited your blog and am very impressed. First of all, the banner at the top is gorgeous - the color is wonderful and it's a dynamic and exciting image. Did you do it in OP? Second, I just love the way you're writing about the places you visit and paint and sketch. It makes it really personal and you write very well. Nice job, Lindsay! :)

marie: Your waterlilies are lovely. I especially like the interesting colors you've added to the leaves. Well done!

Here's mine (another very quick one):

Sketch #22
Red Onion
OP on newsprint, image is about 6x6, 30 minutes (or so - guessing here a bit)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2007/85002-Red_Onion_DSCN4118.jpg

I made the shadow too warm I think...

Paula Ford
04-21-2007, 11:36 PM
What a great onion Annie...love the colors you put in it against the bright yellow-green background.

Paula

AnnieA
04-22-2007, 02:37 AM
Paula: thanks for the compliment. I must say though that you've worried me a bit. Do you really see the background as a "bright yellow-green"??? :eek:

IRL, and on my monitor it's a sort of dull yellow ochre sort of color (OK, maybe just a tad on the greenish side of yellow ochre). I tried loading the image in a different browser to try to see if it reads differently in different browsers, but it didn't work. I hope that it doesn't really appear as bright yellow-green! Please, please tell me that's not really what you meant! :lol:

marie_d
04-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Annie, lovely onion, nice shape. You have the right colouring and the shiny sheen on the skin.

Hope this isnt going to cause a debate or anything, on my monitor your background colouring which isnt blended is showing as a yellow ochre (greenish tint), the blended areas do look brighter though, as Paula said. Looks nice against the colour of your onion shadow.

Thanks for your comments on my waterlily, I enjoyed doing it.

Paula Ford
04-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Annie, I'm sure it's just my monitor which is really old!!

How does it look on everybody else's monitors????

Paula

Pat Isaac
04-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Fantastic onion, Annie. The skin texture is great and so is the color. The background appears yellow ochre on my monitor.

Pat

starblue
04-22-2007, 11:41 AM
This shows the problem with nonstandard color names. With no prompting I would probably call it yellow-green, but partly because I first think of color names from the primaries and secondaries, not "off" color names like ochre or fuschia. Also, I think "bright" in this case is relative to the subject rather than intrinsic, since the color's not particular saturated. And indeed, using PSP's Color Tool, the green component is 2/3, and the saturation is 1/3 (roughly).

hopalong
04-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Annie,
Thanks for you kind words about my project! I'm having a blast doing it and it really gives me satisfaction to be doing research. THANKS for saying kind words about my writing. I've been keeping a word journal since I was 13 and write nearly every day. Have to say lately, visual journaling takes precedence . Yes, the banner is a radical crop of some earing's I posted earlier. My son helped me with loading the html to make the banner. I'll have to wait for him to visit to change it! hahah

Your onion sings on the page with the compliments. Mine shows up as a yellow green too...not so vivid. you may want to try photographing it in natural light and see how it compares. My scanner sometimes reads yellows in a funny way.

AnnieA
04-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Marie, Pat, Bob, Paula, Lindsay: Thanks for the compliments, and thanks for the reassurance. For a while there, I thought, OMG, what if everything I've posted for months has had the color really off! :eek: When I think of "yellow-green" I think of the color of green apples, or the inside of a kiwi or avocado - with a much more pure yellow component and much more saturated. But especially given what you've said, Bob, it appears it's primarily a semantic problem. Whew! So, false alarm, I can rest easy now. :)

As it was, I was a little concerned anyway that the color was still a bit too saturated, but there didn't seem to be any less-saturated alternative in my box and I was working quickly and didn't want to overwork the bg by overblending, so there you go...

I appreciate very much that you took the time to look into it, Bob. :)

Marie: just FYI, since you mentioned it, I used two different yellow ochres (although I don't know if that's the Sennelier name for the colors) to do the background - one to do the majority of it, and another lighter one for the area in the foreground, that's more blended.

Lindsay: with the crop you've done on the banner, I didn't recognize those earrings, but I remember the piece, which was terrific. I like the way you've cropped it to create an abstract piece out of it. :)

cat1lady
04-22-2007, 07:18 PM
I was told that I should xpost this here. I did this for this week's WDE. It is oil pastel in my 5 X 8 Raffine sketchbook.
It took about 40 minutes, which is fast for me.
I purchased my first oil pastel in January. I am still learning how to use the medium but am having fun. It is a more forgiving medium that watercolor which I have been struggling to learn. I love the look of soft patels but just can't deal with the dust.

hopalong
04-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Lovely post cat lady. I'm an x-watercolorer too! Have fun! Hope to see you around more.

Pat Isaac
04-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Love this tropical piece, warm and sunny feel.

Pat

Paula Ford
04-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Hi cat1lady,

Yup, this is the place to be for sketching in soft or oil pastels.

Lovely warm scene! Nice and colorful.

Paula

Yusuke
04-23-2007, 01:25 AM
Pat, Paula, Lindsay, Marie and Annie,
Thanks a lot for the compliments on the portrait of my wife.:)

Pat,
Quick self-portrait is something to try. Maybe someday later...;)

Annie,
The thing around her waist over the obi is called "obi-jime", a band to tie up the obi. Wearing kimono is not very common for casual dress among most of people, but yes, they wear them for special occasions. My wife likes kimono and she wears a couple of days in a month.
You captured the thickness and shadows correctly on your red onion. The background color looks yellow ochre to me. I can't see any greenish color in it. Maybe there's an influence of the onion's color to viewers' eyes??? I don't know...

cat1lady,
Nice to see your sketch here. Welcome to the thread. Nice tropical scene.

Well, I hope it is not too late to post my sketch here. I painted obi-jime, the tying band for obi I mentioned above, and the cloth named "obi-age". Obi-age is really hard to tell... this is occasionally used between obi and kimono showing its part on top of obi. I heard this is for filling the gap. The obi-jime (left) is cross stripes, and the obi-age (right) is tie-dyed. Telling the truth, I forgot to sketch this obi-age in the portrait. :p
Oil pastels as usual. I didn't time this time but I'm sure it was within one hour.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2007/51042-1051.jpg

AnnieA
04-23-2007, 02:30 AM
cat1lady: Glad you're joining us in the sketch thread - it's fun and a great way to learn! :) Your sketch is nicely done. I like the way you handled the waves lapping on the rocks and beach. The bg shrub (on the left) is also quite well done - I like the loose application of OP and the depth to it. Nice job!

Yusuke: My mother had an embroidered pink silk kimono when I was a little girl. I haven't thought about it in ages. It's a nice memory so thanks for reminding me. :) It's nice that your wife likes to wear the traditional dress - especially for you as an artist! Thanks for the information about the obi-jime and obi-age. They both look very beautiful in your sketch, which is well-painted as usual. The folds in the obi-age are nicely rendered and I like the way the sheen of the fabric is shown. :)

Dougwas
04-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Linsay- I like the way the light reflects off of the water. Very nice painting. Great idea for a series. That will kep you hopping.:rolleyes:

Marie- Your waterlily is well done. The lily just shimmers. I too like how you used the same colours on the leaves.

Yusuke- Beautiful painting of your wife. Great detail in the material. The texture in the obi-age is fantastic. I always look forward to your sketches.

Annie- That onion just pops out. It shimmers where the light hits it. Good texture too. I feel like grabbing it and peeling it.

Doug

AnnieA
04-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Annie- That onion just pops out. It shimmers where the light hits it. Good texture too. I feel like grabbing it and peeling it.

Wow, what nice compliments, Doug! They are much appreciated. :)