PDA

View Full Version : Anthurium - WIP

C_Line
04-16-2007, 12:25 AM
I've wanted to paint one of these for a long time & so I started tonight. It's a 16" x 20" canvas. I did the tonal underpainting using Hookers Green & Mixing White mostly. Then I started glazing with cad yellow med & crimson & just started in with some aliz. crimson. Early stages and will neaten up the details and edges as I go - kind of laying in major shapes now. sorry for bad night photos (again).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2007/94054-Anthurium_Underpainting.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2007/94054-Anthurium_Glazes.JPG

rmc
04-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Cool, Celeste (am rushing madly around doing housework as hubby arriving in less then an hour - cut his trip short by 10 days as missing us - awwww - but I'm having to hide the evidence of neglect. lol)

C_Line
04-16-2007, 12:33 AM
He'll be so happy to see you and kiddos he won't notice I'm sure! Enjoy!!!

bowerbird
04-16-2007, 01:51 AM
Very interesting Celeste ! Tell me - why did you underpaint in green ? I have seen verdacio before but not on flowers. Anyway it works :)

C_Line
04-16-2007, 07:45 AM
I chose it since it's red's compliment I thought it might make the red more vibrant. Also, since the painting's got a lot of green in it with the foliage I thought it would add to the harmony. I try to keep the same colors spread throughout a canvas for that reason.

jan409
04-16-2007, 08:25 AM
I like the effect the green underpainting makes. I truely believe in underpainting. It gives a painting more depth and richness. In this case it really works. Jan

gurleygirl
04-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Beautiful!!
Tracey

TxAggieDarlin
04-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Shoot, it looked good in the green :)...it is going to be awesome when you are done:thumbsup:

debsn2paintn
04-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Oh Celeste, I really like this one...it already looks so beautiful, it could be done! Can't wait to see what you do next! :)

Wind Song
04-16-2007, 03:57 PM
It's great Celeste.

C_Line
04-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks Jan, Tracey, TX & Sharon - I just printed the reference photo out in color & the flower's more pink in the photo - hmm, and it has some lovely green ... I worked from a b&w reference, which I rather like for the values ... but we'll see where this goes from here!

Kerch
04-17-2007, 12:37 AM
It looks good Celeste. I like the green underpainting too.

I'm not sure about the glazing. Are you applying a thin clear red glaze over the green? I would have thought the resulting colour would be greyish or more neutral, not red.

Andun
04-17-2007, 01:43 AM
Hi Celeste:)
You are doing such great work on these florals.Will you be going back to other subjects later? You do them all so well.:)

chammi kaiser
04-17-2007, 04:01 AM
Celeste. Very interesting painting a green underpainting. It seems to be working beautifully. I like the way you are always experimenting. Looking forward to the final.

Serenity
04-17-2007, 06:57 AM
It looked great at the green underpainting stage though the colour glazing looks awesome too ~ :thumbsup:

C_Line
04-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks all - I do like experimenting. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose!

Other subjects, well, I've worked on the Different Strokes project & will post my version Friday - it's definitely a different subject! What would you suggest Tony? I'm game for ideas - however, after reading Linee's thread about all the subjects people don't like - that just about covers all the things I DO like!

C_Line
04-17-2007, 11:48 PM
I got to paint for awhile tonight and this is where I'm at on this - need to work on the darks and background more too. And the central stamen thing will be more detailed - not crazy about the color of it right now. Being a night picture too the bright top left part is appearing whiter than it is really. I think I'll eliminate the busy area above the central focal point and just darken it to keep the focus where it should be.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2007/94054-Anthurium_4-17-07.JPG

rmc
04-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Loving the blue tones - only you can see these gorgeous complimentary colours:clap:

C_Line
04-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Ruth - I just read a wonderful article about seeing colors in which it quotes Monet:

Trying to Observe Color
Monet described his attempts to observe and capture the colors in nature thus: Im chasing the merest sliver of color. Its my own fault, I want to grasp the intangible. Its terrible how the light runs out, taking color with it. Color, any color, lasts a second, sometimes three or four minutes at a time. What to do, what to paint in three or four minutes. Theyre gone, you have to stop. Ah, how I suffer, how painting makes me suffer! It tortures me.

Monet also said: Its on the strength of observation and reflection that one finds a way. So we must dig and delve unceasingly. When you go out to paint, try to forget what objects you have before you, a tree, a house, a field or whatever. Merely think here is a little square of blue, here an oblong of pink, here a streak of yellow, and paint it just as it looks to you, the exact color and shape, until it gives you own nave impression of the scene before you. Doesnt he make it seem easy?! I love that and it's how my mom taught me to try to look at things around me more as colors and shapes than objects.

debsn2paintn
04-18-2007, 02:15 PM
This is just looking better and better! I think this is one of my favorites Cheleste!

Some great information...thanks so much for sharing! It's so true!

C_Line
04-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Here's a more accurate photo taken outside in the shade. Won't get to paint tonight but will probably work on it some more tomorrow night. (Thanks Deb!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2007/94054-Anthurium_4-18-07.JPG

rmc
04-18-2007, 04:19 PM
DELICIOUS:clap: :clap:

ms.jennamarie
04-18-2007, 09:16 PM
i want to see more more more more!!

C_Line
04-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks Ruth & Jenna!

Andun
04-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Hey Celeste:) That is beautiful.The colors and textures are wonderful.Ok...ya want a challenge? A seascape:) Up for it?

amaze_1101
04-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Ruth - I just read a wonderful article about seeing colors in which it quotes Monet:

Trying to Observe Color
Monet described his attempts to observe and capture the colors in nature thus: Im chasing the merest sliver of color. Its my own fault, I want to grasp the intangible. Its terrible how the light runs out, taking color with it. Color, any color, lasts a second, sometimes three or four minutes at a time. What to do, what to paint in three or four minutes. Theyre gone, you have to stop. Ah, how I suffer, how painting makes me suffer! It tortures me.

Monet also said: Its on the strength of observation and reflection that one finds a way. So we must dig and delve unceasingly. When you go out to paint, try to forget what objects you have before you, a tree, a house, a field or whatever. Merely think here is a little square of blue, here an oblong of pink, here a streak of yellow, and paint it just as it looks to you, the exact color and shape, until it gives you own nave impression of the scene before you. Doesnt he make it seem easy?! I love that and it's how my mom taught me to try to look at things around me more as colors and shapes than objects.

That is EXACTLY how it is.:thumbsup:

Another fantabulous piece of art from you Celeste!:clap: If I ever win the lottery and make it to the States, you will be the first person I visit. So want to see you in action. :thumbsup:

C_Line
04-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks Tony and Elaine. I'm happy with the way this one has developed and feel nearly finished. Hope to get to work on it again tonight. Want to also do some tweaking on my Different Strokes painting before tomorrow.

Elaine - I'd love to paint together someday! Wait, we already do that don't we? Well...pretty close anyway!

Tony - a seascape -- I've a few photos in my pile from trips taken. Have tried in watercolor, not good. So, we'll see - got to find one that really strikes my fancy you know!

eyepaint
04-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Ooooh I recognize this flower. It's got a waxy shiny surface and the yellow part (stamen?) is bumpy and sticks out quite a distance. I love how you've tackled this project :) Will you try to capture the shine?

Charlie's Mum
04-19-2007, 06:43 PM
This positively glows Celeste and you've caught/portrayed an amazing sense of the form of the plant.
'Tis lovely girl :D

C_Line
04-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi EP - yes, you're exactly right, I nearly bought a cut one the other day - it was Fire Engine Red & yes, the stamen stuck WAY out - then I found this photo reference and really liked it - so that's what I went with. Yes, I will try to capture the shiny glossy look of it! The introduction of blue reflections was a start at that. And, I also plan to work more on the stamen's spiral texture - that's going to be some work for sure.

Thanks Maureen. You hit the nail on the head, it's the form of this plant that I love, crisp and simple and exquisitely colored.

JamieWG
04-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Celeste, I love the depth you're getting with your layered approach! *pulling up a chair to enjoy the show*

Jamie

C_Line
04-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks Jamie - I have some challenges yet ahead to finish this without overworking - will start painting shortly & hope to post update in a few hours - of course it'll be another night shot with poor lighting, but will post a better one later.

idcrisis55
04-19-2007, 10:38 PM
I am hanging out in the background watching you work your magic. This is really beginning to come into its own. Looking forward to seeing your next update. :)

C_Line
04-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Sorry to disappoint but couldn't get a good photo tonight. Will post something tomorrow. Have given up on the idea of making it look waxy/shiny as I can't see that in the reference photo & my experiments weren't working!

idylbrush
04-20-2007, 05:06 AM
Looking forward to seeing the final piece. Been watching the WIP and find it fascinating for sure.

You folks with the florals are always so fascinating. I particularly like the oversized ones with the micros.

This is a beauty from what can be seen on the web. It has been my experience that if it looks good on the web chances are good it will be better in real life.

Congrats on a well worked piece.

C_Line
04-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks Howard. I think I worked longer on finishing the DS Project last night and then on the stamen part of Anthurium so besides not getting good photo - didn't see much appreciable difference worthy of posting update yet.

C_Line
04-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Alright, well, here's a better daytime shot and I've included a detail of the central part - still want to work on that a bit, but it's close. I've darkened the background - probably not quite as dark as this photo shows, but close.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2007/94054-Anthurium_4-20-07.JPG

Here's the detail. You can kind of see the layering glazes a bit more here too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2007/94054-Anthurium_Detail_small.JPG

idcrisis55
04-20-2007, 02:53 PM
I've been sitting here admiring those lovely dark reds, the sepal (is that what the center is called?) with its variety of colors and definition, the blue in the upper curled leaf. Lovely work!

C_Line
04-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks Ann - I have NO idea what that central part is called...I don't think "pointy thing" is right though (that's what I've been calling it). haha!

C_Line
04-24-2007, 02:49 PM
I can't think of anymore to do to this, so I've signed it and called it done. I did add just a touch of interference purple selectively - looks pretty nice for the exotic effect.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2007/94054-Anthurium_Final.JPG

rmc
04-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Fabulous finish Celeste - I love using those interference paints - they really add to the painting - I think they have achieved that look you were after!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

idcrisis55
04-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Beautiful finish, Celeste! :thumbsup:

C_Line
04-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks Ruth and Ann - I'll be taking this one to the gallery this week along with my other new ones for their selection. I think it would look nice...we'll see. I've given up trying to figure out what people want/like. My husband just says, show them all and let them pick!

Charlie's Mum
04-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Mmmmmmm - nice finish :D :thumbsup:
It really does have a life of its own this painting :D

C_Line
04-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Wow - thanks Maureen - that's a critique I'll relish for a long time.

amaze_1101
04-24-2007, 06:18 PM
WOW you pumped up that green and now it screams " I'M ALIVE! "
This is simply STUNNING Celeste. And the little touch of that green under the stamen is perfection! GO GIRL!:clap:

Clever
04-24-2007, 07:45 PM
This is so lovely Celeste...don't know how I missed it before!!

C_Line
04-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks Elaine & Margaret - Guess what? I've already had someone inquiring to purchase it from my flickr site! How cool is that? Who knows, it might not even make it to the gallery :lol: .

Alison2
04-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Absolutely stunning! Love the interference paint on it - congrats on the sales enquiry too - wishing you many more of 'em!

Alison2:wave:

C_Line
04-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks Alison.

Dovie
04-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Celeste,
Sorry I got to this thread really late but this is really "awe...some." From the hookers green underpainting (I don't think you could have picked a better one for this painting) to the finish, and your composition is perfect. I love this painting.... beautiful work.

C_Line
04-25-2007, 07:57 AM
You're too kind Dovie - thanks for taking time to comment. I do really think the green underpainting enriched the results.

sp00ky2002
04-25-2007, 08:08 AM
think looks great - never seen an anthurium before so no idea what one is - but the colours and shapes and highlights are amazing - that bright green against the red is really intense.... good job.

debsn2paintn
04-26-2007, 01:46 AM
This is my favorite! I can see why you might already have this one sold, it won't last long...it's way too beautiful! I love the bright green on the leaves with touches of blue! This is AWESOMELY Beautiful!!! :)

fayre
04-26-2007, 03:54 AM
Beautiful Celeste, I feel you have really caught the waxen effect of the flower. It looks so real!

C_Line
04-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Thank you Neil, Deb and Faye - It's all boxed up along with the other paintings ready to take to the gallery tonight. Didn't hear back from prospective client but all the positive feedback makes me glad to take it to the gallery.

Chloe_1
04-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Very nice Celeste;-)))

TxAggieDarlin
04-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Well, it turned out beautiful. I enjoyed going step to step. Each one just got prettier. Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

C_Line
04-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks Chloe and Tx. Got another exciting one I'm ready to start when I get the time.

Andun
04-27-2007, 01:01 AM
You are the one Celeste:)1111 Beautiful finish and congratulations on the sale.That,more than anything,shows how great it is!!!!