PDA

View Full Version : IAPS Convention--Plans, Happenings, Endings

Deborah Secor
04-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi Gang! I think we goofed :o and accidentally deleted a couple of threads we shouldn't have (hey, accidents happen!), so let's start again and keep track of who is doing what, when, at IAPS...

I've been away so long I don't even know who is coming! I know Peggy had started a list. Peggy is sooooo organized! (Thanks, darlin'.)

I plan to drive the five minutes down the street to the convention on Thursday evening to see if I can meet any of you. We set up the PJ booth on Friday, and from that evening on you can probably find me there painting when I'm not in a demo. I hope you all will put a big WC on your badge so we can spot one another.

So, what are your plans??? I better get in the loop here! I can hardly wait. We'll have to start a thread reporting on the shindig for our friends who won't be there this time, too.

Deborah

Shari
04-15-2007, 10:40 AM
I wondered what happened to Peggy's thread! Deborah, do you know if there is a shuttle to the Hyatt from the airport or do I have to find a taxi? I have logistical questions, like is there a restaurant at the Hyatt, and is there some place close by to find bottled water for drinking? I won't have a car until my husband arrives on Saturday night. I probably won't get down to register until near closing time, but I would love to get together with folks and maybe we can all have dinner together on Thursday night and get to know one another.

Kathryn Wilson
04-15-2007, 10:50 AM
:o :o :o The "we" Deborah speaks of is me. I tried to merge Peggy's and Nana's threads together and they both disappeared!

I would like all IAPS talk, info and plans to be in one thread so it is not all over the place in the forum.

Here is a list of people attending, arrival times: (please PM me with any info you want to share (hotel?) you are staying at, need for rides or room sharing) and I will update this list.

Deborah - Pastel Journal Booth Demos
Peggy - Hyatt
Shari - 3:41 on Thursday, May 10th - Hyatt - share ride from airport anyone?
Nana - Best Western, arriving Thursday afternoon, driving
David - arrives Wednesday PM - Hyatt
Bluefish -
Johndillo1 - Blue Hotel
Punky2 - arriving Friday afternoon
Shoshana - arriving Wednesday for Maggie Price's workshop
Donna Aldridge -
Paula Ford - a maybe
Kathryn Wilson - not sure
Clare Michelson - Hyatt, arriving Tuesday.
Artist_pw (Paula) - arriving Friday - Fairfield Marriot
Marsha Savage - Hyatt - arriving on Wed. the 9th
PeggySue

Deborah Secor
04-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Deborah, do you know if there is a shuttle to the Hyatt from the airport or do I have to find a taxi? I have logistical questions, like is there a restaurant at the Hyatt, and is there some place close by to find bottled water for drinking? I won't have a car until my husband arrives on Saturday night. I probably won't get down to register until near closing time, but I would love to get together with folks and maybe we can all have dinner together on Thursday night and get to know one another.

There's an airport shuttle that no doubt will deliver you to the hotel. I'd check with your airline. Unless things have changed, I don't think the Hyatt has their own shuttle, but you could call them to check on that.

You'll be right downtown with all kinds of shops and services at hand. I'm sure you can get bottled water somewhere. The hotel concierge should help you.

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
04-15-2007, 12:01 PM
In case anyone is wondering, health problems may keep me away from being at IAPS. Trying my darndest to get better.

PeggyB
04-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Shari, most of your questions have already been answered on the IAPS prospectus, and the packet you should have received upon confirmation of reservations. For everyone's convenience, here's what it says:
The Hyatt hotel has a restraurant, salon for drinks and snacks, Starbucks coffee shop, pool, hot tubs, fitness center, wireless internet connection, and is located downtown with shops and restraurants within walking distance. Taxi fare from the Albuquerque airport is approximately $20 - $25 each way - about 15 minutes. There was no Hyatt shuttle at the time of printing. As I recall, the hotel has plenty of bottled water for sale from various locations. An early continental breakfast is part of your registration fee on Fri, Sat, & Sun, but consists pretty much of danish and juice, coffee or tea. At lunch time on those days, the hotel will have boxed lunches available for sale (the were $10 last time). This is an easy fast way to get lunch. Thursday night dinner is part of your registration fee, and if you attend the banquet Sat dinner is already paid for too. Obviously, Friday night dinner will be late because everyone is going to want to attend the special opening of the vendors' fair which is from 6 - 8 pm.

For anyone driving and staying at the Hyatt, there is a parking fee for every night you stay there. I don't recall what it is, but I do remember the round trip taxi fare was less expensive than my total parking fee last time!

Peggy

PeggyB
04-15-2007, 04:08 PM
ANYONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THEIR NAME (BOTH WC AND OR REAL), HOTEL ACCOMODATIONS, AND/OR CELL PHONE NUMBER ON A "MASTER LIST" THAT CAN BE EMAILED TO YOU PRIOR TO MY LEAVING FOR ALBUQUERQUE MAY SEND ME A PM OR TO MY REGULAR EMAIL ADDRESS.

I will keep this list, and bring copies to Albuquerque should you forget or misplace yours before getting there. There is also room on the list for any notes you may want to take once there (such as room numbers or hotel phone numbers).

So far I have the following names and information.

Peggy Braeutigam Hyatt Hotel plus cell phone #
johndillo1 (John) Blue Hotel
Deborah Secor local (PJ Booth)
nana b Best Western
David Patterson Hyatt Hotel plus cell phone #
Shari Hyatt Hotel
Dot Hoffman Hyatt Hotel

If any of this is inaccurate, please let me know. Also if you want your "real" name on the list let me know. Without full, real names we won't be able to contact anyone at a hotel.

I'll need this information before Saturday May 5.

See you soon!
Peggy

David Patterson
04-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Also if you want your "real" name on the list let me know. Without full, real names we won't be able to contact anyone at a hotel.

Oh really? I don't know if not having full names would be a problem...I kind of wanted to hear - "paging Mr. Bluefish".:lol:

CJMonty
04-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Guys, I am feeling so jealous right now. I would absolutely love to be coming to the IAPS convention and especially to meet those of you going. Maybe one year when I win the Lotto I too can afford to come all that way from the other side of the world to join you.

Please have an absolutely great time together, do you get to be able to buy stuff there too???

Take Care

Love CJ :heart: :(

Punky2
04-15-2007, 09:37 PM
I will be arriving on Friday afternoon. I just sent Peggy a PM with my cell number to place on the list.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Terri

PeggyB
04-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Guys, I am feeling so jealous right now. I would absolutely love to be coming to the IAPS convention and especially to meet those of you going. Maybe one year when I win the Lotto I too can afford to come all that way from the other side of the world to join you.

Please have an absolutely great time together, do you get to be able to buy stuff there too???

Take Care

Love CJ :heart: :(

CJ - wouldn't it be grand if IAPS could hold a convention in Australia? Not likely to happen, but I too can dream.

Yes, we do get to buy stuff, and that includes raffle tickets for some really neat items donated by the vendors! I'll probably be walking around with a roll of those tickets attached to my wrist! :lol: No advantage for me to sell them, but it will be an advantage for anyone wanting to buy them when they see me rather than going elsewhere to find them.

David you're too funny - Mr Bluefish indeed. The mystery man is probably just teasing us that he's coming to the convention. He can't really blow his cover - can he? :lol:

Peggy

The Art Corner
04-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Kat hope you feel better and we see you there. I just PM'd Peggy I'll be there with bells on. David we still on for that drink? CJ I'll be rooming with a past President of the Pastel Society of Australia. Very cool. Maybe you could come in 2 years. I heard it will be in Atlantic City, New Jersey. I have a home less then an hour from there. You could be my guest. I'm going to be arriving on Friday the 4th and going to Santa Fe until Tuesday as I'm taking Maggie's 2 day workshop.

David Patterson
04-16-2007, 07:45 PM
David we still on for that drink?

We sure are Shoshana...I still have your cell number. Red or white?:D

I'll be in Richard McKinley's 1 day workshop (one of the lucky one's) on Thursday, so I'll see most of you Thursday night and Friday AM when things really get started. I'm bringing 2 digital cameras, and plan on posting many of the photos online when I get home. Look for me Friday, I'll be wearing an orange shirt and blue socks.:wink2:

David

Paula Ford
04-17-2007, 05:45 AM
LOL....

I may fly in to shop the show, but not take any classes. I spent all my money on the move and new home LOL

Paula

Deborah Secor
04-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Paula, I've 'shopped' the show more than once myself, when I didn't have time or funds to attend workshops! It's a savings in that you do get some wonderful bargains on stuff, as long as you're planning to get such thngs anyway. There is the temptation factor ro deal with, too. Hope you can come...

Deborah

Shari
04-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Paula, I do hope you come as I would so love to meet you!!!! Looking forward to meeting everyone, and David I will be looking for those blue socks and orange shirt; can I join you for that drink? I am easy to spot, I am quite short (5') with very long wild reddish hair. I will come looking for you at the PJ booth Deborah. Can we all find each other for dinner together Thursday night? That would be fun. David, you will love Richard's class, I am so happy you got into that as it filled up pretty fast.

The Art Corner
04-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Shari I can't wait to meet everyone. Would be great if you could join us for that drink & dinner. I really loved Ashland when I was there last year. I met Richard at Terry's workshop. The people in Medford at the workshop were really nice I wonder if any of them are coming. I was really hoping to be able to take Richards workshop in Sept in PA. But it's full and I really can't afford to take another week off. I was going to ask him if I could come for the afternoons only. Who knows.

Deborah Secor
04-17-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm afraid I won't be around until Friday, unless it's just to drop over quickly on Thursday sometime if I'm needed. We'll be setting up the PJ booth during the morning on Friday and I'm doing a workshop that afternoon--painting the night with Dawson. Then the vendor's show opens Friday @ 6:00.

BTW, for anyone wondering about how people dress for the banquet, should you be planning to attend, here's a link to the 2001 IAPS in Santa Fe (http://www.pastelinternational.com/conventions/convention2001/festivities_2001/). It's one thing I love about this area... spruced up can be your 'nice' jeans, a fancy silk gown, or something in between! Be what you wanta be...

Deborah

PeggyB
04-20-2007, 12:46 AM
At this point I have 13 for certain names on the list - most are arriving Thursday or Friday. I'll be there Wed afternoon, and am planning a get together/social hour from 5 - 7 pm Wednesday evening. Invitation only so if you want to attend and meet those who are there on Wed, let me know - gotta have enough glasses!

Peggy

artist_pw
04-21-2007, 04:04 AM
Hi:

I'm renting a intermediate car from Dollar at the airport, so I could probably at have room for 2-3 people depending on luggage. I'm coming in on Southwest from KC at about 10:50am on Friday, so if anyone needs a ride, let me know. I think the only workshop I got into was the night painting with Doug Dawson. I'll be going back on Sunday and the flight leaves at 7:45, so I'll probably be checking the car in around 5pm or so. I got a room at the Fairfield Marriot that I think is about a mile or so away - I reserved a room with just one bed, but I could probably switch it over if anyone wants to bunk. Anyway, I just thought I'd pass this info along. I think the items I signed up for on Saturday are booked up and I didn't make it, so I might be up to driving out somewhere interesting that day. It should be so fun!

MarshaSavage
04-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi folks!
I'll be arriving on the 9th (Wed.) and staying at the Hyatt -- as posted above. Driving out with another artist and taking 4 days from Georgia. We are painting along the way!!! Fun! Fun!

I will be taking the Carole Katchen session on Friday, the Ann Templeton one on Saturday, and the Duane Wakeham master pastel class on Sunday (all day session). Who else is in these? Also planning to be at the banquet on Saturday.

My husband (Haywood) will arrive on the 9th also -- he will probably help Terry Ludwig at his booth at the vendor market -- so stop and talk to him.

After the convention he and I will be driving around for two weeks (at least that is the plan). After Sante Fe, heading up toward Denver (visit with Terry Ludwig at his studio) and then head west. I have an itinerary given me by someone that lived out there. If anyone has ideas, be glad to hear them.

My friend and I are going to Ghost Ranch on the 10th -- have tickets already. Anyone else?

Looking forward to meeting everyone with the WC on the badge -- along with all the others too! Peggy, put me and my husband on your list, okay?

I'm excited -- looking forward to this trip and the convention!

Kathryn Wilson
04-21-2007, 11:08 AM
After Sante Fe, heading up toward Denver (visit with Terry Ludwig at his studio) and then head west. I have an itinerary given me by someone that lived out there. If anyone has ideas, be glad to hear them.

Not sure which route you are taking, but here are a few suggestions:

Silverton Train Ride out of Durango, CO
Mesa National Park
Canyonlands and Arches National Parks
Zion and Bryce National Parks

That would be my dream trip!

PeggyB
04-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Hi folks!
My friend and I are going to Ghost Ranch on the 10th -- have tickets already. Anyone else?

Looking forward to meeting everyone with the WC on the badge -- along with all the others too! Peggy, put me and my husband on your list, okay?

Does Ghost Ranch now require tickets to get on to their property? I knew it had gotten considerably more expensive than when several of us stayed there prior to the Santa Fe convention in '01. Back then (seems like eons ago now) you could rent the cabins without bathroom facilities for $35 per person a night and that included all meals! It was worth it at that time to sleep in bunkbeds and have to walk down a covered walk way for restrooms and showers. Now I'm a bit older I think I'd prefer the more comfortable accomodations if I was to stay there! :lol:

You are on the list Marsha. I've sent you a pm

Peggy

Deborah Secor
04-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Ghost Ranch (http://www.ghostranch.org/content/view/8/29/) Here's a link to the facilities at Ghost Ranch. It's not like it used to be, Peggy! I haven't been up there in years... A great place to paint, though. Have fun, Marsha!

Deborah

Peggysue
04-21-2007, 07:48 PM
This will be my first Pastel Convention and I can't wait. Have been to the IAPS site frequently searching for the vendor list. Currently they only have four vendors but I know that's just not up to date. Would sure like to see a list of all the vendors though.
PeggySue

Deborah Secor
04-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Don't worry, Peggy Sue, there will be a hall full of great vendors! You have to understand that there's only one woman on staff to do all the paperwork and I suspect the web site is last on her list of priorities right now.

I just found out a special friend of mine, Fred Somers, and his sweet wife Avis, are coming to IAPS from Minnesota. You all know his work--his sky painting is on the cover of the newest of the Best of Pastel books, called Pure Color. I hear that the list of attendees is the most ever. This will truly be the Who's Who of Pastels!!

One thing I've always loved about these conventions is that you'll be leaning over looking at some colors or examining an easel and suddenly realize that the guy standing next to you is someone like Duane Wakeham or Richard McDaniel or Bill Hosner, or the lady that just came in to look at aprons is Elizabeth Mowry or Judy Carducci or...well, the list goes on. It's so much fun to realize we all just share the love of pastels. I can hardly wait!

Deborah

The Art Corner
04-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Peggy I'd like to be on the list for Wed Nite I'm arriving on Tuesday and will be attending the Maggie's 2 day pre workshop.

PeggyB
04-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Peggy I'd like to be on the list for Wed Nite I'm arriving on Tuesday and will be attending the Maggie's 2 day pre workshop.

Great! It won't be a large group, but we'll have a good time. There will be a couple "mystery guests" too. :D

Anyone else who's there by Wed, and would like to drop by from 5 - 7 please let me know. I'm trying to know how many to plan for "munchies and wine". I'll bring plastic glasses too, but if you want a soft drink, water or whatever please byob...

Peggy

PeggyB
04-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Well I changed my mind about something to do prior to the convention. I have a friend who contacted me yesterday and said she's taking Desmond O'Hagan's 2 day workshop. Desmond is someone I've known since the first convention, and I've often thought about taking a workshop from him but haven't. When Alex said she was I figured "why not?". So I called Susan Webster and found there is room in the workshop, changed a bunch of reservations and appointments, mailed off a check to Susan, and sent an email message to Desmond "warning" him I'd be in the class. :evil: He just wrote back to say "super", and that there is still room in the class for anyone who'd like to join us.

So........ if you think you'd like to do this contact Susan Webster at IAPS and let her know. There isn't a problem adding more people to workshops now that advanced reservations are closed because we don't need tickets to go to the workshops.

I'm really looking forward to this even though I seldom do my best work in a workshop - I always learn something that makes it worthwhile, and don't expect to produce masterpieces. :o

I'll still have the Wednesday social as the classes end at 4. :clap:

Peggy

MarshaSavage
04-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Peggy,
You will enjoy his workshop. He was our judge for the Southeastern Pastel Society International Show a few years ago. I took his workshop and had a good time and felt like I learned. I was also fortunate enough to be able to buy one of his demo paintings! Have it hanging in my studio to remind me of some of the things he said. Very nice man.

prettytulips
04-26-2007, 12:46 PM
I've been out of the loop and I was recently laid off from work so I have lots of time. I might drive out. When is it? How much is it?

Thanks!

PeggyB
04-26-2007, 01:14 PM
I've been out of the loop and I was recently laid off from work so I have lots of time. I might drive out. When is it? How much is it?

Thanks!

It's coming up really soon - May 11 - 13
Go to www.pastelinternational.com Under the heading IAPS SEVENTH BIENNIAL CONVENTION click on the various subheadings, and you can read all about the convention including the prices.

Peggy

Paula Ford
04-26-2007, 08:44 PM
:crying: I'm sorry you guys, but something has come up and I will not be able to attend this year.

Paula

prettytulips
04-27-2007, 12:32 AM
I know how that is.... just found out my bf wants to whisk me away that weekend to northern CA.... I guess I'll save money now:)

PeggyB
04-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Darn! We'll miss meeting both of you in person. :crying: Hopefully next time - 2009 :D

Peggy

Shari
04-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Peggy,

Didn't you say that in 2009 IAPS would be on the East Coast?

PeggyB
04-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Peggy,

Didn't you say that in 2009 IAPS would be on the East Coast?

Yes - the exact location will be announced at the convention banquet. However, it will be back east.

Peggy

Kathryn Wilson
05-01-2007, 06:09 PM
I guess you guys are going to have to put up with me for 4 days - :) Looks like I am coming after all!

MarshaSavage
05-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Yeah!!!!! So glad!!!!

Can't wait to see you again.

What day are you coming and where are you staying?

Terry
05-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Hi, Terry Ludwig here.
We are planning on being there and have been preparing for months.
There will be a double booth with our name on it and will have most all of our pastels set up as Open Stock ! You can pick and choose from all the colors there.
There will be some of the sets made up and the New sets will be there also.
New, I'm still working on finishing the New 30 piece Dark set. It will contain
A wide variety of deep Purples that we have just developed.
Please stop by and say hello. Hope to see you there.

PeggyB
05-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Wouldn't miss you Terry. Did you say deep purple? Ohhh - I'm definitely not going to miss you!

Kat - so glad you'll be there. I'm looking forward to meeting you in person.

Peggy

CindyW
05-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Yes - the exact location will be announced at the convention banquet. However, it will be back east.

Peggy

Y'all have a blast! Wish I was going. :(
A friend of mine is teaching a workshop and staying at Ghost Ranch in the fall so I can live vicariously through her and you all when you post what your experiences were on this glorious gathering at the show and at the Ranch, those who are going there and there. :music: :music: :music:

But, didn't know about this news above....how wonderful if it was near Boston or in Maine in 09. :thumbsup:

Cindy

The Art Corner
05-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi Terry I'm very much looking forward to seeing you again and of course your Yummy Pastels. I really enjoyed your Medford OR workshop last summer.

Kat so glad your feeling better!!!

Kathryn Wilson
05-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Peggy, I am arriving late Wednesday afternoon and staying with a friend up north of ALBQ - so I will have to forego the Wednesday night do at your hotel. :(

Marsha - it will be so good to see you again too!

Terry, I was just wondering if you would have open stock - YIPPEE! Eggplant colors here I come!

Deborah Secor
05-01-2007, 07:53 PM
I dropped one of your dark eggplant red-purple colored pastels on the cement floor at class yesterday, Terry, and darn near cried! I'm so low on it! I was doing a demo showing my class how to record all the colors in a landscape photo but using nothing but the complementary colors. That dark was my most vivid deep dark warm color (correlating to the darkest greens, of course, thus quite key to the painting) and when it hit the floor the whole class let out a cry! Argh! So...I guess you'll be seeing me, too. :D

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
05-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Argh! - as in pirate "argh"???? :evil: :heart:

Deborah Secor
05-01-2007, 08:11 PM
No, more like :eek: :eek: :eek: AAAArrrrrgggggghhhhhhh oooowwwwNoooo.... abbreviated 'argh'. :p

nana b
05-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Kat, I'm so glad you are going to make it after all! I'm so looking forward to meeting everyone in person. How will we know when we see us:D ?

Terry, I'm anxious to see your new dark set, you know I'm always looking for the darkest darks I can find. I hope you do a demo for us!

See you there!

nana b

Deborah Secor
05-01-2007, 11:09 PM
One thing that might help is if those of us who don't use our real names as our screen names will make sure to list them here, if you don't mind. That way instead of a nametag with 'nana b' on it, I can look for........?

Some folks won't want that info posted here, of course, so then I guess you have to simply introduce yourself when we meet! "I'm so-and-so, AKA nana b."

Is bluefish still planning to come? I'll be looking for those socks!!

Are we still planning to mark our name tags with WC? (Y'know, where I come from those initials bear a certain meaning, as in "where is the wc?" :lol:)

Deborah

nana b
05-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Nana.....just teasing, Phyllis Baker.

nana b

Deborah Secor
05-01-2007, 11:17 PM
:lol: I suspect we'll all just call you 'nana' anyway!

Deborah

nana b
05-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Either is A-okay with me Deborah:p If you call me nana then you may have to call my husband 'papa'.:lol:

nana

Deborah Secor
05-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Well, that depends... he'd have to be at least 106 to qualify as my 'papa'. I suspect I'll have to stick with his name instead! :D

Deborah

nana b
05-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Well, I doubt that.... but okay. :)

nana b

Kathryn Day
05-01-2007, 11:55 PM
oH, Kat so glad you're coming, wanting to meet you. Deborah, I will stop by your booth and introduce my daughter, got her into pastels too. Nana, look forward to meeting you too.
Terry, my first introduction to your pastels was at the expo in Santa Fe, now I can't live without them and really, really, need to add some colors. I am so ready, is it time yet??????

Dot Hoffman
05-02-2007, 10:13 AM
I am so looking forward to meeting all of you.

Terry, I've been saving my pennies (okay, dollars) for your darks.

Soon.........

nana b
05-02-2007, 10:47 AM
I will mark WC on my name tag. Deborah, what do you mean "where is the wc?" :confused: I haven't caught on yet. I hope it's not bad:D

Kathy and Dot, anxious to meet you too!

nana b

Deborah Secor
05-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Oh sorry, nana--as a kid the WC was the 'water closet'--as in "where is the BATHROOM"!! :lol:

Deborah

Peggysue
05-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Kathryn,
Wonder how many mother/daughter combos will be there? I will be there with my daughter who is just getting into pastels and expect to have a great time. She's taking different demos than I am so we'll share all the information we get. We're even bringing a large suitcase with our smaller suitcase inside, so we'll have plenty of room for everything we buy!!!

Kathryn Day
05-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Peggysue, isn't it fun to share a passion for art with a daughter. We decided to take the same demos, we don't get to see each other as often as we like, so want to spend every minute together. lol I'll be driving so will have lots of room in my vehicle for my shopping treasures. Look forward to meeting you and your daughter.

PeggyB
05-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Deborah I laughed out loud when I read your childhood use of "WC" as that is so European! Never suspected it of New Mexico. However, I think I'll take a chance and also use WC on my name tag. If nothing else it will be a conversation starter, and I like that a lot. Conversations that is.
Kat, sorry you won't make the Wed night "do", if you want to bring your friend that would be ok too, but it may be a bit of a drive if the friend lives too far north of the city. I suspect the timing will slip a bit either way from 5 - 7, but that's ok too. It turns out the friends I'm having dinner with will be at the social too! :)
Since I'll be in Desmond's workshop, I won't be there too much before 5 - hopefully around 4:30 so if anyone is too early I'll put you to work filling munchie dishes!

This is pretty much the last chance for anyone to report that they will definitely be attending the convention and have me send you the list of folks I've been making. That will go out Thursday sometime - yikes! That's tomorrow!

No wonder my mind is so cluttered - too many things to focus on before leaving. However, I'd best get myself together enough now to go teach the last pastel class until next fall. This has been a good group of students, but I'm ready for a break.

Peggy

Deborah Secor
05-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Good grief--WC is European? It came from my mom's family and they're pure Iowa, via Pennsylvania Dutch country (or is the Deutsch???) Somebody must've brought it with them from the old country and it filtered down.

I won't be able to make the Wednesday 'do' either, Peggy, since we have church that night, but having your list will be convenient.

If anyone needs local info while here, feel free to ask. I'll do my best to answer you! The weather is predicted to be in the high 70s to mid 80s--but remember there's no humidity to speak of, so it feels cooler. You'll probably want a sweater if you go out in the later evenings, or inside in the cold refrigerated air conditioning (that's when I need it!) Today we have clouds and it rained last night--so delightful! The scent of rain is the finest perfume known to man, IMHO.

I want to give any lowlanders a little free advice, while I'm thinking of it. You'll be at 5,000 feet here in the city, and in a drier than normal environment, so you want to DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. Most of the natives I know (or those of us who have taken root here) just routinely carry a BIG bottle of water with us all day long. I also usually supply a little tin of Carmex to visitors, which, to put it as delicately as possible, will come in handy when the air dries out your nasal passages. That and your bottle of saline nasal spray! 'Nuff said on that. You'll also want your hand and face cream with you.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Deborah

johndill01
05-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Debra: The scent of rain is the finest perfume known to man, IMHO.

could not agree more with you, as I am a canary. (terrible chemical allergies. Many perfurmes and colognes.)

John

nana b
05-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Well Deborah, the WC on my name tag will mean both things, I'm a bonified member of Wet Canvas and also need to know where the WC (water closet) is!:D

nana b

PeggyB
05-04-2007, 12:23 AM
:wave: I'm on the way folks so if you have any questions of me you'll have to wait until you get to Albuquerque to ask! Or I guess you can try calling my cell number, but sometimes in Montana and Wyoming the reception isn't so good.

See ya'll next week! :clap:

Peggy

pjo
05-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi, I'm a day late and a dollar short, as usual, but I will be going to the convention on Friday. I have a workshop in the a.m. and one in the p.m, and shopping of course. I will put WC on my badge, and even though I haven't been on WC for awhile, I'm looking forward to seeing you all. Paula

Kathryn Wilson
05-05-2007, 09:57 PM
PJ - so glad you are coming. It's going to be good meeting you.

Well, guys, it's getting closer - are your wallets ready? Credit cards all sharpened up?

I can't wait to paint in the southwest again!!!

Pat Isaac
05-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Have a great time everyone....

Pat

Piper Ballou
05-06-2007, 11:24 AM
here is a silly question, if say,someone was to go on Saturday only, are the vendors open to the public, and would it be worth it?

In the back of mind, I keep saying I am only 7 hours away....it is just a thought and I finally had to just write it here...

piper

Kathryn Wilson
05-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Yes, the vendor show is open to the public on Saturday. If you've been wanting to see sets of pastels, or try a sample out, it would be worth your while. Although it is a 14 hour drive both ways.

I also think you can sign up for a workshop right at the front desk - one day registration is $50, then the cost of the workshop. Have you checked out the page to see if there are workshops still open?

Piper Ballou
05-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Kat, I am just running this through my mind right now, to top things off we are also doing an art show that weekend, which my husband said he could handle on his own...
I will check things out and see...right now it is a dream and I probably will not go but I will keep this thought that I could go until this weekend...LOL
thanks for the info
piper

Deborah Secor
05-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Hey Piper--a couple of times when the convention has come here I've only gone into the vendors show on one day and at that time there was no charge to get in. Only if you want to do the workshops.

Think of it this way, the Who's Who, the creme de la creme, absolutely THE best and brightest in the entire world of pastels will be here! I've found that just strolling through the materials show was an education in itself. Once, up in Denver, I sat and watched Dan Greene do an incredible demo where he began painting from the inside corner of the eye and painted outwards in a sort of vague spiral, ending with a drop-dead gorgeous rendering of his model. Another time I stood next to Elizabeth Mowry as she painted one of her delicate tree studies, and asked her questions as she painted. I stood behind Kitty Wallis as she did an underpainting and pastels portrait that fairly glowed with color and expression, and found out what paints and brushes she used, not to mention her color theory on using red, yellow and blue for the underpainting. Things like that... I can't promise you'll see the same folks doing those same things this year, but I've never been disappointed before, so I suspect you wouldn't be either should you decide to come...

Hope we get to meet--but 7 hours is a long drive. Still, it could be worth it!

Deborah

Bill Foehringer
05-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Wistful Bon Voyage to all those journeying to the convention. Have a great time! Should give you a boost of energy to create...
BillF

Terry
05-08-2007, 06:55 PM
I will be there, The Lord willing. We plan on having 60,000 sticks of pastels
with us.
We will introduce the New Intense Dark set and the Maggie Price basic value
set also.
Please stop by our booth.
Terry Ludwig

Pat Isaac
05-08-2007, 07:00 PM
My good friend Donna wll be there and you made her very own set of colors. Have a great convention. I love your darks and hope that oil pastel will eventually have some comparable to these.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
05-08-2007, 08:10 PM
60,000 Terry Ludwig pastels - :eek: :eek:

johndill01
05-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Alright! 60000 pastels and just from one vendor. Anybody know a banker with a soft spot for pastelists??:D Going to make it difficult to wait until the sun comes up to get on the road. On my way. ( Finally):clap: :clap:

John

Deborah Secor
05-09-2007, 06:03 PM
I just selected a few pastels to put in my plein air set to use as I do my demo at the PJ booth on Saturday, and found I was short on some very key colors--DARKS among them...

See you there, Terry, God willing!

Deborah

Donna A
05-10-2007, 02:17 AM
Ahhhhhhh---I'm resting a bit before heading back to finishing my packing. Getting on the plane for Albuquerque in the morning. (Oh, it IS the morning!) :-) Well---just barely! :-) My two little black cats know something is up. I'm deserting them. I thankfully sent my easel, pastels, etc. for the 2.5 days of demo painting I'll do off to Albuq. a few days ago with a friend who is driving. :-) I"m really looking forward to meeting some of our WC artists! And the rest of you---start now making plans to come to the next IAPS. Such great folks. And fun to see all the new materials---and all the rest! :-)

I know we'll have all sorts of fun reports for you Take good care! Donna ;-}

Deborah Secor
05-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Well, the convention began for me when the phone started ringing last night. I heard from a couple folks who arrived early, and then this morning Kat called! She came to my Master Class and we had so much fun! It's the first time we've met in person, though we've been talking for a couple of years now so we already know each other. She did a drop-dead gorgeous little painting of fall trees. I'd like to take credit for it, but all I did was add a couple of strokes and made a suggestion or two. It was so much fun to get to paint together finally! We plan to go out on Monday morning to a scenic location to paint and spend the day together.

Tonight some of the convention festivites begin. There was a paint-around, and a buffet dinner, but I didn't make it over for those. My son had a car accident on Tuesday, nothing too serious--a fender-bender--but it put his car out of commmission. It was too complicated to get everyone in our family everywhere tonight, so my convention will start in the morning. I'll keep you all posted! :wink2:

Deborah

Pat Isaac
05-11-2007, 07:21 AM
How nice you will be able to have some time to paint together.

Pat

bluefish
05-11-2007, 08:53 AM
60,000 pastel sticks and not one of them the right hue to finish my pastel painting - life can be tough at times!!!!!!!!!!!!

CJMonty
05-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Shoshana,

You never know if I'm really good, maybe I might be able to take you up on your kind offer of coming over for the next IAPS Convention but I won't make any promises just now.

I am feeling everyones excitement through this thread and can only imagine what it is going to like for you all when you get to meet up with each other. I would be in awe to be in the company of so many amazing artists. I sincerely hope it is all you guys are expecting of it and more.

Take Care all of you that are travelling there by car, drive carefully and I also hope the rest of you all get there safely and have the most wonderful time together.

Love CJ xxxx:heart::heart:xxx

Paula Ford
05-11-2007, 11:52 AM
60,000 pastel sticks and not one of them the right hue to finish my pastel painting - life can be tough at times!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey bluefish! Are you at the convention?

Paula

bluefish
05-11-2007, 01:24 PM
You think that guy in the 'orange shirt and PB17 socks' is David Patterson?

Deborah Secor
05-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Gang, just checking in to tell you some bad news. Terry Ludwig and his daughter were on their way to the convention when they rolled their truck and trailer. Terry is okay, but his daughter was six months pregnant and she lost the child. They flew her from Walsenburg, where it took place, to Colorado Springs, and did a C-section. :crying: :crying:

The trailer containing those 60K pastels was a mess, I guess, but Terry has salvaged all he can and is on his way here. He's an incredibly strong and courageous man to determine to come on to the convention, I think, but I know his faith in Jesus is sustaining him. People have come alongside to help man his booth tonight, and I have Ludwig eggplant purple all over my fingers. The Maggie Price Values Set is terrific--I'll try to get a photo of it to show you.

I matched a lot of faces to familiar names today--got lots of hugs from folks I never 'met' before--but my mind is such a blur I can't think! I'll report in when I'm a little more recovered. Meanwhile, pray for Terry and his family.

Deborah

CM Neidhofer
05-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Oh my gosh. All my thoughts and prayers for you, Terry, and your family. Hope all goes as well as can be expected.

Christine

CindyW
05-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Terry is okay, but his daughter was six months pregnant and she lost the child.

My heart aches for them. Absolutely painful for them all...so very sad.

Cindy

scoller
05-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Terry,
May you, your daughter, and grandchild be held in God's Loving Hands.

In the words of a very wise man, "Our tears are the unspoken words of our souls."

bluefish
05-12-2007, 07:17 AM
What a horrible event to happen to such a fine friend to all of us - Terry, we all feel your deep pain on the lose of your grandchild - hopefully and god willing, your daughter will recover completely and bear you that darling grandchild someday.

Our thoughs and prayers are with you my friend!.....'bluefish'

Pat Isaac
05-12-2007, 07:31 AM
Oh, that is such terribly sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter Terry.

Pat

artist_pw
05-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi:

I just thought I'd post some quick snaps of the opening of the vendor area - wow it was packed! It started out packed and only got more so - later on, it seems I could only get about 2 layers of people away from the pastels to see them well enough. I'll try to get some more samples of the booths today. That was very sad news about Terry Ludwig and his daughter's accident. Many prayers and good thoughts to them and their family.

The first three photos are just how it looked when I walked in, and the 4th is one side of the Terry Ludwig booth (those colors truly are not as vibrant and amazing as they were in person), and one side of the Roche pastel booth.

Oh, I was in the Dough Dawson demo yesterday afternoon, and I did hear some people behind me talking about the "WC" and wetcanvas, but I haven't seen anyone with that yet, but I'll go back today and see if I can find anyone else.

K Taylor-Green
05-12-2007, 08:50 AM
What a sad and awful thing to happen. Terry, your precious girl will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Piper Ballou
05-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Terry, My heart just sank....our thoughts and prayers are with you during this time.
piper

Paula Ford
05-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Oh Terry, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter and your family. :crying:

Paula

Deborah Secor
05-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Terry was there at the show today, looking somber but whole and with us, thank God! Tonight they explained that the wind flipped the truck and trailer, but most of the inventory was able to be salvaged. His daughter will be released from the hospital on Monday.

I'm pleased to tell you that they honored Anne Hevener, the Pastel Journal editor, for her supportive role. :D

I had dinner tonight with John Dill, and Kat... but had to duck out early. I'm totally beat! I can't imagine trying to go back and do it again tomorrow-but I can't remember the last time I painted for almost six solid hours on my feelt! Happily, tomorrow I'm going to church and a Mother's Day dinner with my family.

I'm sure others will give you far more extensive reports when they return.

Deborah

artist_pw
05-13-2007, 02:41 AM
Hi:

I went back today and got a few Mount Vision and Terry Ludwig pastels. There were fewer people in the vendor area so it was easier to get around and see the wares.

It was pretty funny today, because I was trying to peek into the Richard McKindley's demo that I couldn't get into, and the door opened and a couple came out. The kind gentleman waved his hand for me to go in, but I mentioned that I couldn't get into the demo because it was too full. When I really looked at him, sort of to my surprise, it was Duane Wakeham, and I mentioned I wanted to get into his demo too, but it was also full! ;)

I was able to stop by the Pastel Journal area and meet Deborah. That was really nice meeting you! :)

The first photo are more of Terry Ludwig's pastels that were rescued. The second is of the Richeson area with a lot of gatorboard and hardboard pastel supports. The third is of the Sennelier area, the fourth of the Heilman area - those boxes look really nice and functional. The last is of the Art Spectrum area. I have a few more photos, but it looks like I can only have 5 at a time, so I'll have to add them later.

CJMonty
05-13-2007, 04:37 AM
Terry,

I am so sorry for your loss. Please give your daughter and family my regards. To get that far into a pregnancy and then to have it taken away from you is just aweful, I hope you all recover from this and find a way to move on. You will always hold that little angel dear to your hearts.

You are an amazing man, to collect what you can of your broken pastels and still put a booth together is also truly amazing.

Good luck and Love to yourself and your family Terry.

CJ :heart::heart:

Donna A
05-14-2007, 02:00 AM
Hi! I'm back home from IAPS----and it was just such a wonderful gathering! A LOT of great new materials, which we will be enjoying talking about in the next few weeks, I know! :-) It was sooo marvelous to meet many of our wonderful WC members!!! What a great treat!!! Marvelous folks IRL as well as on-line! :-) And Terry was amazing (as he always is---even under such horrid circumstances! What a guy!!!!!!) I loved seeing other friends whom I see so rarely! I had such a great time painting. I loved working on several of the news Colourfix colors. They are sweethearts! Carol Katchen demoed Art Spectrum part of the time, as well and was just all great fun! But it's well after midnight now and I just want to go be a paper-weight holding down my own mattress. The cats are still miffed with me for several days of abandonment. But maybe by manana I will be forgiven! My very best to you all and more later! Donna ;-}

nana b
05-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Hi everyone,we got back home about 10:00 last night and we were tired and very glad to be home with Gizmo, Mr. Higgins and Sophie (our three dogs).
We had a great time at the IAPs convention in Albuquerque! I took lots of pictures for you so I'll start off with WC members that were there that I ran into.
Shoshana, Kathryn Day, Shari, David Patterson, and the last is myself, Punky2 and David.

More to come!

nana b

David Patterson
05-14-2007, 10:08 PM
I have soooo much to write about IAPS, but it will have to wait until tomorrow. The one thing I can say...the WetCanvas artists are very special. Photos coming soon. I need to get unpacked, and settle into reality.

Just a quick note...If you want a good laugh, PM Shoshana (The Art Corner) and ask her what it was like meeting Elvis! :lol:

nana b
05-14-2007, 10:53 PM
And .... Marsha Savage and Dot.

I did see Donna A but didn't get a picture of her. Dang! She is the sweetest and she helped me pick out some art Spectrum Colourfix paper in the most beautiful colors!
Thank you Donna, I was totally confused, my first time there you know! Everyone so nice and it was so much fun sitting in class with them and just visiting with them.
Shoshana and I shared a sandwich on friday at lunch. She is fun as can be and was so glad to meet her.
David is really nice and is so excited about pastels just like the rest of us! I had two classes with him and so got to visit.
Shari is so cute and a lot of fun. I felt like I had known her forever!
Dot was the first wc member I saw on Friday morning and was so glad to see "one of us". I was looking at everyone's chest:D trying to see the WC initials. She and her husband are really nice people!
I ran into Marsha Savage in the lunch line on Sunday. I had been trying to see her for three days and couldn't seem to be at the same place at the same time. A very classy lady.
Even though I got my picture with Punky, I really didn't get to visit with her for long. She's cute and very sweet.
I missed Kat, Deborah and Peggy and I really regret that I didn't get to meet them. I think I missed them at the trade show because as soon as I walked in I just went into total confusion. Pastelist everywhere! It was hard to even take a step in any direction and so much to look at! It was like dying and going to pastel heaven! I did manage to make it to the Roche booth and bought 6 of their pastels. I just had to. I just had to try them and see if they were as good as their price suggests. I couldn't even get close to terrys booth, it was jam packed!
I then went back on Sunday and bought a few Of Terry's darks and stocked up in Colourfix paper. It was 40% off and well with no shipping, that's as good as it gets! I still like Wallis but I do like Colourfix too.
I missed Peggy Sue, John, Paula, Clare and bluefish also. Wished I could have met you all:crying: Where in the heck were you?
Bluefish, do you really exist? I looked for the orange shirt and blue socks,
well the first day I got it mixed up and was looking for blue shirt and orange socks, but still I thought you would show up somewhere! I guess you will have to post a picture of yourself:D .

nana b

Donna A
05-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Hi, again! I want to give a special thanks to our David Patterson for having designed and printed out the wonderful, gorgeous little WC labels for us! That was just great, David! I'd written WC on my name tag, but was sooo LOVELY to be able to lay one of his creations over my ho-hum lettering. :-) And I always looked for David's little label----or a WC on every name tag. Was just sooo exciting when I found another one of us! :-) I'm sooo sorry I missed as many of you as I did, but what a treat to meet the rest!

I was sooo busy that I didn't get my camera out. Which is soooo unlike me. Dang! And enjoying the photos the rest of you took! :-)

I just re-read the Pan-Pastel brochure a few minutes ago---and showed everyone in class this afternoon. Those are soo intriguing!!! (We'll talk!) They are such lovely people. I had dinner with them Saturday night and just delightful. He was the brilliant person who invented the wonderful ColourShapers which I think are so great! Of course, one of the first questions I asked was about light-fastness of the Pan-Pastels. I was sooo happy to know that that was one of the first things they considered and had tested---by the new ASTM standards. That was good news to me. I'm fascinated with what they can do. Guess for me they are seeming particularly tasty for underpainting. Soooo seductive in their deliciously creamy smooth application. (We'll talk!) No web site for them yet. But something that is going to be a marvelous addtion to our medium! My best to all of you! Donna ;-}

David Patterson
05-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Oh Donna, you are just as sweet as your WC photo! I'm glad the stickers were a hit...easy to do, and it did make it a little easier to find WC members. Like I said earlier, I'll write more, and post pics...hopefully tomorrow.

Hey Donna...thanks for all the blown kisses!:heart: :heart: :heart: :)

David

PS - I did meet "Bluefish", and pics were taken. And NO, I'm NOT "Bluefish".:D

artist_pw
05-15-2007, 02:48 AM
Hi:

So sorry I missed seeing most of you guys! I looked around for anyone with the WCs and never saw anyone really. If I am able to go next time, I will signup sooner and hopefully get into more demos or workshops. I was also very pooped most of the time because I came home from Boston the night before like at 10:30pm, and got about 2 hours of sleeping before leaving to go to Albuquerque. Whew! I have a few more photos because I did try to get most of the display areas so people could get a real idea of what the vendor area displays were like. (I also got a very nice photo of Kitty, who gave me a great smile.)

Oh, and after reading the Girault post, I went back on Sunday to hopefully try to get a few openstock ones to try out, and the vendors were packing up, and the lovely woman (I think it must have been Michele) gave the samples people had been using to test out. I thought that was very nice.

Pat Isaac
05-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Looks like a great time. Thanks for all the pictures everyone. Paula, you actually captured a pic of one of my good friends. I'll have to show it to her.

Pat

bluefish
05-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Nana B:

you only wear a 'blue shirt and orange socks' when you're working in your 'Rhubarb patch'!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Deborah Secor
05-15-2007, 10:53 AM
We want pix of bluefish... :wink2:

Deborah

nana b
05-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Bluefish, show yourself! :D

nana b

David Patterson
05-15-2007, 12:07 PM
We want pix of bluefish... :wink2:

Deborah

You will have them tonight...I promise!:D

David

Pat Isaac
05-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Great, I thought someone must have taken a picture of "bluefish", but I'm not sure we can all trust David and the pic he will show us.....:lol:

Pat

Paula Ford
05-15-2007, 01:00 PM
LOL....I was going to say the same thing!! LOL

David Patterson
05-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Ye have no faith!

Pat Isaac
05-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Hmmmmm.......it shall be tested soon.....

Pat

bluefish
05-15-2007, 03:11 PM
I trust David as a brother! He's honorable, beyond reproach, kind, gentle, handsome...........I forget the other things he told me to say!

Pat Isaac
05-15-2007, 04:06 PM
He may be all those things, but a picture is worth a thousand words...:lol:

Pat

David Patterson
05-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Right on brother Blue...Back atcha!:D

Paula Ford
05-15-2007, 04:45 PM
LOL...you guys!

bluefish
05-15-2007, 05:00 PM
We have work to do Brother David - I detect 'doubters' in the ranks, especially in those hills where they distill that 'fine corn beverage'!:lol:

I bet that 'gal' in NM has faith in us - she's a believer!!!:lol:

Don't know about the 'rhubarb farmer' :lol: or the East Coast 'clam digger'!:lol:

Pat Isaac
05-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Clam digging is great here and they wear "blue" boots.....:lol:

Pat

bluefish
05-15-2007, 05:24 PM
good one, Pat! - besides 'clams', I know you have 'bluefish' up there, with 'orange' fins!(they just arrived here, will be another three weeks before they visit you).

Pat Isaac
05-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Yes, we do, but they have big orange teeth. The better to bite!!:lol:

Pat

bluefish
05-15-2007, 05:52 PM
David - she's on our team - 'orange teeth, better to bite' - wow! Don't know about you buddy, but I'm going to be extra nice to her!:D

Pat Isaac
05-15-2007, 06:02 PM
:lol: :lol: Watch out for my basket with the "blue" checked cloth.....:evil:

Pat

Deborah Secor
05-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Heck with a picture. I want an identity for bluefish. Like name and location. I have a good guess for ya: Lee Wagner, from Barnegat Light, New Jersey. It's not just idle curiosity. I'd like to be introduced!

Deborah

Kathryn Day
05-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi, I finally have a few minutes to upload a few pictures. My daughter and I had a great time. Met David, Shoshana, Shari, Nanab, Dot and her husband, Peggy, Deborah, Kat , Maggie Price, Kitty Wallis, Bill Creevy, Ron Chapman, Christine Debrosky, Sandy Jacobice, Trish Messenger, Les DeMille, Marsha Savage, Terry Ludwig, Donna Aldridge and am probably missing some. Aren't artists the nicest people!!
I thoroughly enjoyed the art demos/workshops. I picked up Maggie Price's book, haven't had a chance to read it, but flipping through looks invaluable.
I spent way too much on pastels, paper, no excuse now, have to get busy. :) Here are a few pictures: The paint around, only was able to get a picture of two of the paintings. some pics from the portrait demo and from the demo/workshops my daughter and I took. I was more interested in talking to the people I met, so didn't think to bring out the camera, sorry!!:wink2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2007/7947-may_2007_030.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2007/7947-paint_around.jpg
these two are from the paint around.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2007/7947-may_2007_039.jpg
this is from the portrait demo -= leslie DeMille and Urania

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2007/7947-Image3.jpg
Christine Debrosky class
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2007/7947-Image4.jpg
Maggie Price - underpainting

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2007/7947-Image5.jpg
end of class status of painting, it was looking super, but Maggie said she had quite a bit more to do on it.

Pat Isaac
05-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the great pictures, Kathryn. Looks like you were able to meet a lot of people.

Pat

Kathryn Day
05-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Oh, I forgot, my daughter, Dixie, won one of the raffle items. A 25 piece set of flesh tone Mount Visions. She was very happy. And, No, I still don't know who Bluefish is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat Isaac
05-15-2007, 07:10 PM
oooh, what a nice raffle prize.

Pat

Deborah Secor
05-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Here's someone you might recognize... Kat, yesterday in Old Town. We painted in the morning and had a nice lunch in a scenic little plaza right in the same place we painted. So nice to fold up the easels and stroll over to a table, order a yummy lunch and talk, as a young man played his guitar and sang nearby.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2007/23609-Kat_-_plaza.jpg

We walked around and Kat shopped, which is where I snapped this one.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2007/23609-Kat-Old_Town.jpg

I have only a few of the convention itself. The two below were from Doug Dawson's night workshop. He was terrific--lots of good information on how to paint the low light structure. He started with a little thumbnail, which is the little box you see on the upper left side. (You can see a heavy dark line he later drew to crop that side off of the image in the second photo.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2007/23609-Dawson_1.jpg

He painted on German (brand name and country it's from) etching paper, coated with a mixture of two parts gesso to one part fine pumice, and toned with alizarin crimson. The pink was quite intense, but probably more like in the image below.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2007/23609-Dawson_2.jpg

This was as far as he got in 3 hours of talking and painting. It's too bad I got such a wonky shot. I was amazed that he began, not with the darks, but with the medium-darks. He darkened the colors progressively, and used very intense bright red and green to begin. It was all built on value and intensity... In another night scene he had on view in the vendor's area you could clearly see the pink shining through it all. Very interesting!

Deborah

Deborah Secor
05-15-2007, 11:56 PM
I just thought I'd let you know there's now a web log (http://blog.pasteljournal.com/default.aspx)for The Pastel Journal! There are some pictures of the tables and Richard McKinley there already. Anne Hevener, PJ editor, was given a Golden Mentor award for supporting the medium--a really well-deserved honor, I think. :thumbsup:

Deborah

David Patterson
05-16-2007, 12:17 AM
I had the most wonderful time at IAPS. I loved meeting so many of the WC artists - and every one of them were so very special. You could just tell that they all loved life, and loved sharing their experiences with you. Save your pennies, because this is an event that every pastel artist should attend at least once in their lifetime.

It was like a who’s who in the pastel world. I personally met Desmond O’Hagan and Bill Creevy at Peggy’s social. Took a fantastic workshop, and two classes from Richard McKinley. Took classes from Colleen Howe and Ann Templeton. I sat with the wonderful portrait artist, Leslie DeMille, at the buffet dinner Thursday evening. Had my photo taken with Albert Handell. I experienced many wonderful, but short moments, with our own famous artists Donna Aldridge and Deborah Secor. I had the pleasure of meeting Ron Chapman and Alan Flattmann. I road on the airport shuttle, and chatted at the trade show, with Brenda Mattson.

I never had the chance to say goodbye to Peggy, because she took off early Sunday AM to be with her mom on Mother’s Day in Colorado. Peggy started my IAPS experience off with a bang. As most of you already know, she is a very special person. Her social, that she invited me toThursday night, meant so much to me…to be introduced to many of her artist friends that night put me about a foot off the ground. I don’t think my feet touched down until yesterday, when my plane landed in Seattle! So…thank you Peggy, you are a real sweetheart! I’ll be calling you this week when you get back home.

I’ll post short, but separate threads, on some of the demos I saw - maybe tomorrow. Here are some of the photos I took, hopefully with the correct names attached!

I just searched the last ten minutes, and can't find my notes on who's who...dang! I'll do the best I can. This is Peggy and Clare (can't remember her last name):o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_004.jpg

Desmond O'Hagan at Peggy's social.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_005.jpg

Australian artist Louise Corke and her lovely mother.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_006.jpg

Our special guide, Deborah Secor
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_009.jpg

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha (Savage) - I just had to do that!!:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_010.jpg

More photos tomorrow!!:wave:

I'm still smiling from all this!:D

David

Pat Isaac
05-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks, Deborah for the great pics. So glad that you and Kat had a chance to spend some time painting together.

Thanks also, David for your summary of events and the pictures. It sounds like such a fun time and I may go with my friends next time, but there are no oilies there. BTW......still waiting for the "picture"........

Pat

artist_pw
05-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Hi:

I was in the Doug Dawson night painting session. I took shots of his progress too. I was working up my notes into a word doc, and inserting the photos in the spots that they should be in. I'll try to see if I can maybe post that when I'm done, and I'll try to post the photos - some are wonky but at least show the progression. Maybe that might help people who were interested in that demo but didn't get in or a chance to go.

Some photos are a little dark or a little out of focus, but I don't really have good photo editing software on this laptop yet, and I thought you guys might like to see these anyway. (I have a few more that I'll post in a followup.)

artist_pw
05-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Here are the remaining photos - the little baskets are how Doug says he stores his pastels - they sit in a container filled with corn meal to cushion and when he uses them, he sifts out the cornmeal.

The white lid with the few little nibs of pastels are the colors he used to create the demostration image. He mentioned in starting a pastel like this, he normally uses no more than 4 pastels, and then may add in a few colors as the image develops. During the demo, he ran out of a green pastel he was using, and picked out a new pastel that wasn't quite the same, and just started in again adding the new similar color. The last full image is where the demo concluded, and the last photo was a detail - (it unfortunately turned out fuzzy, but at least you might get a better idea of the color detail.)

Sandy K
05-16-2007, 05:11 PM
hey everyone,

I just saw on a video from the Artist's Magazine, a new product demonstrated at the IAPS convention. The Pastel is called "PanPastel". Was wondering what anyone thought of it and when they are going to market it and where???? I thought it was amazing........I think I am going to save my money till they bring it on the market.

The Art Corner
05-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Hi everyone: I have a lot of pics, but not much free time for a while, so I'll do my best when I can. Pat I met a good friend of yours there I didn't get her name but I gave her a hug to give you. I really wanted to get this beautiful picture of our own Peggy with her Master Circle Award up here for all of you to see. We were all just so proud of her!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/34631-IMG_6319_cropped_Peggy_Braeutigam.jpg

Donna A
05-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Hi, ya'all! Here's a link to videos from The Pastel Journal folks, including one of the PanPastels in use. I am soooo looking forward to their release on to the market this July! Yummmmmm! :-)

http://links.mkt230.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MTgxMTkwS0&r=OTgxMDMyMzIyS0&j=Mjc1MTg1NjkS1&mt=1

Takes a while to load---but really 'cool!' (Opps, that's always such a give-away to my high school era! :-) LOL! Take good care! Donna ;-}

Merethe T
05-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Oooooh, sounds like you had the most wonderful time, I wish I could have been there! Been reading this thread - sooo much fun to see the photos and read the comments - I'm so happy for you! Must have been like heaven....

I'm going to USA in June this year, should have timed it better....just have to start planning next years vacation early, sounds like the IAPS are a must-do experience....

Ehm, David.......picture....? My curiosity is killing me, I gotta know who bluefish is! :D

Merethe

David Patterson
05-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Here are some more photos from IAPS...enjoy!

Kathryn Day and Peggy
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_014.jpg

Alexandrine (Alex) Bartlett - check out her work, it's fabulous! She was at Peggy's social.
http://www.alexandrine.com/
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_007.jpg

Bill Creevy
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_011.jpg

Clare Michelson
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_013.jpg

Kat and Donna - two very special people!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_053.jpg

John Dillingham (Johndill01), his wife, and Kat
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_061.jpg

Leslie DeMille
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-LDeMille.jpg

David Patterson
05-16-2007, 08:02 PM
More IAPS

Shoshana (The Art Corner) and Albert Handell - she gets a smile, I get the frown!:lol: Yes dear, I'll send you the photo!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_063.jpg

Me and Albert - Shoshana must of worn him out!:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_064.jpg

Hey...Richard McKinley and I should be real pals by now...One workshop, and two classes later!:D Dang he's good!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_067.jpg

I really enjoyed the company of this lovely lady - Phyllis (Nana B)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_072.jpg

Shoshana and I became good friends - another special WC lady!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-shosh.jpg

Heeerrree's Shari...isn't she cute!:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_073.jpg

Our own Nana B & Punky2 (Teri Gjoen)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_079.jpg

Paula (Artist_pw) - I wish you could have stayed longer Paula!:wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/65479-IAPS_083.jpg

nana b
05-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey David, your photos are great, better than mine I think. What kind is it, brandname and description and all of that? I saw it but really don't know what it was.

nana b

artist_pw
05-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi David:

You can photoshop that frown. ;)

Pat Isaac
05-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Great pics, David. Thanks.
Shoshana, yes, my friend gave me the hug from you. her name is Donna and she is a wonderful pastel artist.
Congrats, Peggy. Great picture.

Pat

MarshaSavage
05-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Hello everyone.

I so enjoyed meeting all of you at IAPs -- I am so sorry I did not take any pictures of the people -heck I don't even think I took any pictures at all except my husband working in the Terry Ludwig booth.

Everyone was so nice and truely seemed to act like they were seeing a long lost friend! It was nice to put real faces with the names.

I am at Colorado Springs right now -- traveling around the Four Corners area with my husband -- Haywood -- for the next couple of weeks. We are riding the "Cog" train up Pikes Peak in the morning. Then we are traveling to the Denver area and hope we get to visit with Terry. He is expecting us tomorrow afternoon -- that is if he and family are not too busy.

Everyone was so nice at the booth on Friday night for those crazy two hours of opening night. You were all so nice and understanding about us not having all the pastels that Terry had planned to bring. We know he was going through a terrible time -- and again, you were all so nice and understanding. Thanks!!!!!

So, can't wait to see more photos -- so sorry I don't have any -- but, where are we with the "Bluefish" identification?

Later.
Marsha

nvcricket
05-18-2007, 01:32 AM
I can't wait to hear reviews on this new PanPastels. I clicked the link Donna provided and it was down for maintenance. Maybe they will be generous and give freebees to the first 1000 that visit the site after maintenance! Wishful thinking.......

I think bluefish is a wonderful mystery. I almost wish this evasive creature goes undiscovered. Any that have met up with bluefish can tease us about it!

I hope all have recovered from all the excitment and share more info with those of us who missed it. More tips gleaned from the pros at the workshops.

David thanks so much for taking and sharing all of your pictures. What a thrilling time for all.

Thanks all,
Carol

David Patterson
05-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi Carol,

I'm going to do the best I can to post comments and photos of Richard McKinley and Ann Templeton's "Work In Process" demos. They will be two different threads. Give me a few days though...my lawn needs mowing!:eek:

David

Peggysue
05-18-2007, 12:10 PM
My daughter and I attended our first IAPS convention and it will not be our last!! Just wish we could have met all the wonderful people there that we meet here. I learned so much from every demo and everyone was so sharing and so much fun too. Now that I see the pictures from David and everyone else, I can put faces with names. Just realized I spoke with many of you but didn't put names and faces together while hurrying between demos. Thanks for all the pictures everyone.
Peggysue

PeggyB
05-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Since I don't see a posting of this information (I just may have missed it in trying to catch up with all the wonderful postings) - I'm going to tell everyone now where the next convention is going to be

It ain't Atlantic City!!! In my heart of hearts I knew it wouldn't be there, but I didn't know it wouldn't be elsewhere on the east coast as we were all told after the Raleigh convention. The "power that be" chose Albuquerque once again. I fully understand the primary reasons, and hope others will too.

Long ago the members said they absolutely wanted the vendors to be a presence at the conventions. Therefore, we must keep the vendors happy or they won't come. Believe it or not, IAPS is a comparitively small venue compared to the all medium expos that are held around the country. Vendors don't want to have to pay drayage fees, and many very good places on the east coast are not acceptable because of that. They wouldn't be able to offer us reduced prices if they had to pay those fee. Another factor is the wonderful assistance that Ron Whitmore of Artsan's Art Supplies provides for both the vendors and IAPS. So far, Ron and his crew can't be matched by anyone else in this endeavor. It makes the vendors time there much more stress free knowing Ron is in charge.

Some people have suggested Santa Fe or Taos would be a nice change of scene from Albuquerque, but both have to depend upon people flying into Albuquerque, and then finding transportation to either of those cities. That was an expense people didn't like paying the one time the convention was in Santa Fe. Futhermore, there really isn't an affordable hotel of good size to house everyone. I won't even begin to tell of all the complaints about the one we used last time!

Now for the good news for all Moms and those who want their Moms at home on Mothers' Day. The 2009 IAPS convention will be held on the last weekend of May - the week after Memorial Day. May 29, 30, 31 with workshops the two days prior to the convention, May 27 & 28. It will be held at the Hotel Albuquerque in Old Town so that will be a nice change of scene from the previous Albuquerque hotels we've used. There will be shopping and places to eat more accessable to the convention site too.

I hope everyone will start right now saving and planning for the 2009 convention. I'd love to hold another social so I can meet more of this wonderful WC family! :D

Peggy

Dot Hoffman
05-18-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm so glad to hear the next convention will be in ABQ!!! I love it there!
This was my first IAPS convention, and I enjoyed every bit of it so much, except those hotel chairs do get hard :lol:!!! I especially enjoyed meeting all the folks from WC and look forward to seeing you all again next time. Peggy, thanks for hosting the social -- it was fun:)!

bluefish
05-18-2007, 06:03 PM
no boardwalk, no saltwater taffy, no salt aire painting! - just more 'tacos'!:rolleyes:

just kidding.........ALQ is a delightful town and only an hour away from one of my all time favorites - 'Sante Fe':thumbsup:

got a new orange shirt, darned the hole in my PB17 socks and all set to go!:lol:

I do believe the famous 'impersonator' is also getting ready - he's practicing his 'swagger'!:lol:

nana b
05-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Bluefish, the next Abuguerque IAPS Convention will be a different story! We are setting up traps as we speak:evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nana b

PeggyB
05-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Just thought I should let others know that I met two delightful non-pastel painting husbands who are a delight, and extremely supportive of their wives. Dot Hoffman's husband, Ken, and Marsha Savage's husband, Haywood were very fun guys to meet. I hope they come along next time too.

Geez - I spent the day playing catch-up! My poor car had enough "bug juice" spattered on the hood to bottle so I was off to the car wash. I forgot to take the grocery list along, and ended up spending an hour and a half there, my hair had grown so much in the last 3 weeks that I had to visit my hair dresser (nothing new about the growth timing as it grows about 1/4 to 3/8th inch in 3 weeks), and then when I got home and had the groceries put away, my dogs insisted I take a break and play with them. I still need to vacuum the family room which everyone managed to ignore while I was gone! That room is pretty much now carpeted in dog and cat hair - do most men not see animal hair on the carpet???

Better get with it before starting dinner... welcome back to routine!

Peggy

Punky2
05-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Hi everyone!

I just got home today. After the convention I went to Socorro to Bosque del Apache National Wildlife refuge (one of my favorite places) and then to Tucson. Driving all the way - by myself - over 3800 miles all total.

It was wonderful meeting all of the WC folks at the convention. Everyone is sooooo nice! I took a Maggie Price workshop and two Richard McKinley workshops. Both are great teachers.

Thanks to everyone for posting so many photos. David, yours look like you were on the red carpet at the Pastel Academy Awards!

Terri

Donna A
05-19-2007, 01:55 AM
Wow, Terri! 3800 miles---all on your own! I'm impressed! :-) I was impatient enough to just fly non-stop 2 hours! :-) I was spoiled growing up with my father's office just 6 blocks from home (KC) and when driving---I have to keep my eyes on the road and my hands on the steering wheel. Argh! I wanna look around and do 'stuff' with my hands---so I totally salute you for all that wonderful driving!

And Peggy---please don't tell me you are fully unpacked yet. I could cry. I'm close---but....

How was it that the convention was so long coming, so many days in the past now----but over sooooooo, toooooooo fast!??? There has got to be some law of nature that I just don't have a clue about!!!!! :-)

And-----WHY could it be that I KEPT running into our dear David Patterson---IF he was not two people? hint hint hint My best to all of you! (even bluefish the anonymous.) Donna ;-}

ps---I'm sooo glad we are going to a different hotel next time! After (what?) 3 times being at the Albuq.Hyatt, this year I kept running into soooo many people who were having problems with the service there!!! AND---this was the very first hotel I'd stayed in where they were charging anything at all for connection to the internet---and the Hyatt wanted $10 per day. Awwwww c'mon! The concierege said "oh, ours is so much faster." Yeah. Right. I've never had a slow internet connection at a hotel. Geeeeeee! As others of us, I do adore my internet connections and THAT much per day is just a terribly bad joke! D :-)

bluefish
05-19-2007, 07:10 AM
Just think of all the people who thought them met Nana B at the convention, but are now not sure it wasn't that terrific 'impersonator' in a 'doll get up and a blond wig'!

......it's scarry!!!!!!!!!!!!

nana b
05-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Oh, pul......eese!:rolleyes:. That's not gonna work.....we're not going to be thrown off the track that easy:lol:

nana b

David Patterson
05-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I think I was just accused of dressing in drag!!:eek:

Nana B is for real, and a real sweetheart. It was a pleasure for many of us WetCanvas artists to get the chance to meet her.

I'll be posting "work in process" photos from Richard McKinley's underpainting workshop in the next couple of days. He is an amazing teacher. Stay tuned...

David

Here is a wonderful Pastel by Desmond O'Hagan that was displayed at the vendor exhibit. Sorry about the flash effect, I tried to photoshop out some of it out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2007/65479-OHAGAN.jpg

Donna A
05-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Oh, David---just saw you sooo many times AS YOU that you would never have had time to do any quick-changes into other clothing---no matter how otherwise talented you are! :-) Goodness---am I ruining some of the mystique by dispelling possibilities....? ??? LOL all the way around! What a fun great group! :-) Donna ;-}

artist_pw
05-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Hi:

I read about the internet connection charge, and when I stayed at the Innerharbor Marriott in Baltimore, they had a similar daily fee to connect. At least I didn't get any people lying to me about the speed. The Fairfield Marriot I stayed at in Albquerque had free wireless, so that was nice. Sort of in a weird way, I wish there were even more Starbucks around - at least if they were every block or so (which in some places it seems like that anyway), there would probably be a strong enough signal to be a completely wireless nation.

David Patterson
05-19-2007, 02:06 PM
You see...Donna is on my side!:heart: No quick change artist here.:)

Everyone sure was great. Bluefish doesn't know what he/she is missing out on!

David

Hey...I knew I had a photo of Dot...better late them never!:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2007/65479-IAPS_003.jpg

bluefish
05-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Sorry about the way it appeared David - it was never meant to be anything but a little kidding early in the a.m., for Nana B. -believe me we all appreciate all the time and trouble you went through to impersonate a certain 'unmentionable'! As you can see from the responses, everyone got a real chuckle out of it - your photos are terrific - I just wish I had some of that talent - looking forward to the photos of Richard McKinley's work. :wave:

PeggyB
05-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks for posting Desmond's painting David. I took his two day workshop, and had so much fun painting I completely forgot to pick up my camera even once! Desmond too is a terrific painter and instructor. I can still hear him saying as he demonstrated, "It's all just shapes, not details. Get the shapes and values right, and it doesn't matter if details are completely missing or color is something other than what someone would think is natural." His painting above illustrates this very well... and David, one could never mistake you for a woman - not even in "a doll get up and a blond wig"! Which is further proof Bluefish wasn't there and doesn't really know you....

Donna - sorry to have to tell you this, but after my round trip drive from Washington state to New Mexico via Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado my suitcases are not only unpacked, but my dirty laundry of two weeks duration is all washed, dried and put away. I even went to my hairstylist the day after I got home! OK, I can maybe make you feel better - this is a new record for me. :D

Peggy

nana b
05-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Now Bluefish, this is getting fishier and fishier:lol: . I used to fish a lot (several times a week with my husband to be). He loved to fish and since I was trying to catch him we went 4-5 times a week. So, I hope to know a fish when I see one:cool: . Well...actually, he caught the most.....so...well anyway....it has been fun this week so it's ok that you two fooled me:D .

nana b

PeggyB
05-19-2007, 08:12 PM
RARE PASTEL NUGGET
Mined by Gnomes from the streams of Colorado and delivered to the Ludwig Studios in Littleton.

I visited Terry Ludwig's studio before heading on up the road for home, and he presented me with this very rare treasure, a pastel nugget he said was mined by Gnomes. He has paintings of said Gnomes hanging in the front reception areas too, so I believe this must be true. Displayed in gold mining pans on the table beside samples of his wonderful sticks of pastel are several differently colored nuggets the size of very large potatoes. I got to choose any of them I wanted so of course had to take one with blue violet veins in it. Here is a picture of said Pastel Nugget:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2007/68149-Rare_Pastel_Nugget.jpg

Here too is the Terry Ludwig Dark Set II that I was very fortunate to be able to actually buy at the convention. Most of this product was on the trailer that rolled, and therefore most people had to order it. Not sure how I happened to be in line in time to get this, but I'm very glad I did. The Pastel Nugget is displayed beside the box so you can see the size, but the color is more true to the photo above.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2007/68149-Ludwig_Darks_II__Nugget.jpg

I also got Great American's set Son of Monty - 39 new colors to supplement the full Monty, and he threw in a couple boxes of experimental colors that will be in the next Daughter of Monty set. Then there is the as yet to be issued Sennelier landscape set that will be mailed to me in July. Last but certainly not least I bought both boxes of Art Spectrums new softer lights - in cool and warm colors. If this doesn't keep me busy for awhile, I don't know what will!

Peggy

Dot Hoffman
05-19-2007, 08:42 PM
OMG David, you -- the photo champ of all time -- fix it, fix it. My husband's shoulder looks better than my head. Yikes!!!:eek:

Oh well, sometimes reality is a kick in the pants, isn't it????:lol:

nana b
05-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Wow, Peggy aren't you lucky! Your pastel nugget is beautiful. And all those pastels! I'm anxious to see what you do with them. I started a painting yesterday using one of the pics I took in Albuquerque and it is going pretty well. I feel like I learned some important things there. Now if I can apply them.:rolleyes:

nana b

David Patterson
05-19-2007, 10:37 PM
OMG David, you -- the photo champ of all time -- fix it, fix it. My husband's shoulder looks better than my head. Yikes!!!:eek:

Oh well, sometimes reality is a kick in the pants, isn't it????:lol:
Sorry about that Dot...that was the only one of you I could find!:o

David

Here...how about a cropped version?:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2007/65479-Dot.jpg

Dot Hoffman
05-20-2007, 08:58 AM
David, I know, but....

just count those chins:lol: :lol: :lol:

David Patterson
05-20-2007, 11:17 AM
David, I know, but....

just count those chins:lol: :lol: :lol:

What?...They are no different then my three!!:lol:

nana b
05-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Dot, everybody has chins when they are in that position. Remember, I told you that you did not look or act your age! And you don't! When we get older that is a compliment!:thumbsup: Just ask me!

nana b

David Patterson
05-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Here you go Dot...a real photo of you. :D I'm not sure who that lady was in Peggy's room! I just wish I could do this to myself in real life...oops, I guess they call it a diet. I'm always on one!!:evil:

David

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2007/65479-Dota.jpg

PeggyB
05-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Dot, everybody has chins when they are in that position. Remember, I told you that you did not look or act your age! And you don't! When we get older that is a compliment!:thumbsup: Just ask me!

nana b

Whew! Think I'll have to remember this about the "chins" - as David said, "I'm always on a diet!" - but the "chins" seem to presist... I suspect it also has something to do with genetics & aging. I have aunts who don't need to and never have dieted, but they have "chins" as do other aunts who do need to diet! :eek: Oh well...

btw - I heard a rumor that "someone" has figured out who Bluefish really is, but won't tell - :evil: - does it matter?

Peggy

nana b
05-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Maybe bluefish will come out of hiding on his/her own before it is let out of the bag?

nana b

Dot Hoffman
05-20-2007, 05:49 PM
You all are .... well, just great!!! It was such fun meeting you and getting to know you! Chins or not, 70 (lbs? years?) does show, but darn it, I worked for it and I've earned it!!!! :lol: :lol:

Bluefish? what say you????

David Patterson
05-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Bluefish? what say you????

I'll say it for him/her - Fish don't have chins...they have FINS!!:D

David

pasteladdict
05-23-2007, 05:11 PM
David
Your picture that you have labeled 'Paula' is not Paula, but me, Liz - Pasteladdict. Now show us the picture of the real 'Paula.;)

David Patterson
05-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Oops...and now I can't find Paula's photo! Getting old....:)

David

artist_pw
05-23-2007, 11:58 PM
Hi:

Which Paula are you referring to?

On a side note, will anyone ever vote for me to get past my two little stars? Waaaa!

CM Neidhofer
05-24-2007, 07:57 AM
You'll get thee stars when you reach 500 posts.

Kathryn Wilson
05-24-2007, 02:59 PM
I finally got to getting my photos downloaded and re-sized!

1. Urania's portrait coming alive!
2. Les with his finished painting.
3. Our own Deborah in the Pastel Journal booth.
4. A painting she was working on.
5. Luana Winner's demo painting of shimmering silver.

Kathryn Wilson
05-24-2007, 03:03 PM
6. Dennis O'Hagan's demo night-time painting.
7. Another O'Hagan painting that was on display.
8. Sean Dye demo'd this painting in the Trade show.
9. A McKinley painting on display.

Kathryn Wilson
05-24-2007, 03:08 PM
More!

1. The view from where I was staying with a friend of Deborah's.
2. Barb - greatest host in the world. Deborah, Barb and I painted on a charming plaza in Old Town Albuquerque. Yeah, we do paint outdoors!
3. Deborah.

Pat Isaac
05-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks, for all those wonderful pics, Kat. What a beatiful view you had. I just learned from John (johndill100) that there are OP vendors there. :eek: I would have signed up with my friends and gone. Next time.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
05-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Holbein had some and Sennelier had some, but not their full lines or much of a choice in sets. Might want to re-think that, but, wow, Santa Fe - now that's a kickin' place to stay.

PeggyB
05-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Holbein had some and Sennelier had some, but not their full lines or much of a choice in sets. Might want to re-think that, but, wow, Santa Fe - now that's a kickin' place to stay.

and Expensive! That's just one reason the IAPS conventions aren't there again.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures - I agree with Pat - you had a wonderful view from your home away from home.

Peggy

Kathryn Wilson
05-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Sooo, you gonna let us know where it will be?

David Patterson
05-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Sooo, you gonna let us know where it will be?

Come on Kat, it was on page one of the program!:D

The Hotel Albuquerque, in Old Town. A little safer then downtown.:)

David

Donna A
05-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Donna - sorry to have to tell you this, but after my round trip drive from Washington state to New Mexico via Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado my suitcases are not only unpacked, but my dirty laundry of two weeks duration is all washed, dried and put away. I even went to my hairstylist the day after I got home! OK, I can maybe make you feel better - this is a new record for me. :D

Peggy

Ohhhh, Peggy! That's disgusting! :-) :-) :-) LOL! I still have some of the laundry I did the night before I left laying on the couch---and---well, never mind! :-) I hit the ground running when I returned to KC! Still putting finishing touches on paintings for a big show I hang in a few days. Other deadlines got met, thankfully the last week or so. My dance card has just been toooo full the last many weeks! :-) But I ain't been bored no way no how! :-) (she says almost longingly!) :-)

Am still relishing all the wonderful delightful WC artists I got to meet at IAPS! And all the other fun and adventures there, too! Can't believe I took sooooo few pics! Usually am uploading/emptying my camera mem cards to my lap top every time I turn around. Am soo thankful many of you took pics! Has been fun to see them! Very happy memories. Amazing how we look forward to it for so long and then """pooofffff""" it's over! But absolutely GLORIOUS during! The rest of you all just gotta come in 2009!

Now---I actually mentioned to a friend today that this evening I was going to finally finally fold the slacks and jeans laid out on the couch so I could stop having to look at them! :-) Guess I'd better say good bye and go do that. Knock a little dust off the top and have at it! Take good care, y'all! Have a glorious weekend!!! Donna ;-}

artist_pw
05-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi:

For photos, I just got some additional flash drives - one reason, to use as an extra spot to backup or copy files to from my newer laptop that has a direct spot for it, and I haven't run out of any space with those. I take pictures all the time with my camera, and even take snaps of papers so I don't have to haul around hard copies of papers, and maps when I'm at a job gig. I love the digital age.