PDA

View Full Version : Moody Study

sir_real
04-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Let me first of all praise the 6d art pen.

Ok, now that that's out of the way. Here's a study I just think I finished during my continuing quest to become fluent with painter. It turned moody/dark sorta fast on me but I suppose that's what I get for loving Edvard Munch. I'm probably gonna tighten up the brush work but that's about it for now.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2007/13581-nude1.jpg

barryt
04-15-2007, 01:06 PM
I like that, what application did you use, and what's so great about the pen?

sir_real
04-16-2007, 02:55 AM
It was done in Painter X. For the longest time I was somewhat opposed to using the brushes in painter since all I had was the normal stylus that came with the wacom tablet. Not that it didn't have it's uses for me it just didn't give me the same feel that a brush gave me. I tried all the different nibs for it: the plastic, felt, spring loaded brush dealy, etc... and nothing gave me the feel I wanted (however, the plastic nib is my favorite when I just want to draw and such). When I upgraded to 10 (as can be found out from an old post in the digital art section) I was confused about why some brushes didn't turn with my stylus. The answer was I needed this 6d pen. Well, having some extra money I got it.

I'll save the physical description, however, it was rather cumbersome at first due to the wider nib and the angle/thickness of the pen, but once I got accustomed to it the flexibility was amazing. Touching just part of the tip to the tablet touches only part of the work with the digital brush, etc. The pressure sensitivity of it feels a lot more natural--which may be a result of the wider nib and angle.etc.

Most importantly though, I don't think the pen would be all that useful (at least for my applications) were it not tied directly to the new brushes in painter x. The brushes allow for some superb customization and when used in conjunction with the versatile pen it allows for some nice intuitive use. As it stands, I'm now using the normal stylus for my sketching/drawing needs and switching over to the 6d whenever I need anything that will be brush based. So far I've found it extremely helpful with the artist oils, realbristle (which, from what I gather the 6d is really a necessity anyway), and the watercolours.

Ultimately, however, to each his own. I got the pen recently and have found it wonderfully able for the feel I've desired. As with all things it may not work for everybody...but I will forever sing its praises.

barryt
04-16-2007, 05:35 AM
Thanks for that, I may give the 6d a go. (Save save save)

LadyAlba
04-16-2007, 01:49 PM
I like the way this is giving the viewer a chance to use their imagination while viewing as opposed to photorealistic. :thumbsup: Also thanks for the info on the 6D brush am definitely putting that on my wish list. :lol: I'm with you Barry save, save, save!

Annie*M
04-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Well done sir real.

justjean
04-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Looks great :thumbsup: and you have made me think I should go and practice with my 6D altho I find the shape of it a very unnatural feeling :D Guess I should also try playing around with my Painter 10 instead of keep going back to IX :)

sir_real
04-16-2007, 10:44 PM
thanks everybody!

and yeah, the 6d's shape couldn't get any more cumbersome in my opinion (maybe if they added spikes?) although I love it (LOVE!) nonetheless.

jhercilia
04-21-2007, 01:19 AM
I totatally agree with with sir_real. I have the exact same opinion about this Artpen. At the beginning, it takes some practice to get used to it, probably because of the nib's size and shape. The only thing that I really miss on it afre the pen buttons since I have those programmed to resize the brush for example.