PDA

View Full Version : Bison Creek

SunsetSue
04-14-2007, 02:38 AM
Here is another attempt to put wildlife in a painting. I am not sure that the composition works, its one of my many shortcomings.:lol: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2007/10094-Bison_Creek.jpg

dreamz
04-14-2007, 03:24 AM
it works for me Sue!

Gillette
04-14-2007, 05:55 AM
Hi Sue
I have no problem with that, very nice.
Jane.

marionh
04-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Looks good. My only suggestions would be to crop the sky by about a half as I feel it would give it more impact. I like the peacefulness (is that a word) of it.
Marion

jan409
04-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Very good. Jan

idylbrush
04-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Coming along handsomely.

Consider using a few shadows to ground the bison. For me they seem to float a bit off the surface. Shadows will place them firm. See what is happening in your reference image.

idcrisis55
04-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Nice work Sue, especially with the bison, the foreground and the water. I agree with Howard re the shadows.

Lady Carol
04-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Actually there is no much wrong compositionally. It has a nice feel to it. I do find the mountains hard to read though, maybe the colour lower down seems a little strange and not well tied into the foreground.

swampborn
04-14-2007, 10:00 AM
I really like this one Sue. I think it is one of the best you have done!
Gail

TxAggieDarlin
04-14-2007, 10:10 AM
I like this and you did really good on the animals, but yep, I agree, some shadows under them to put them on the ground....

SunsetSue
04-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks everyone, I will add some shadows under the bison. and will try to soften the color on the mountains. Thanks for the suggestions, it sure helps me along!!
_____
Sue

CamiTampa
04-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Sue,
I find myself often saying the snow covered mountains appear too close. It's one of those things that bother me. Your mountains appear just fine. Composition is okay. This is a fine painting.
Cami

SunsetSue
04-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Thankyou Cami.

Katie D
04-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Nice work Sue! Love the colors.

Kerch
04-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Very nice painting. I like the cool colours. The trees look great. I wasn't too sure about the pinkish colour in the mountains. Also, are the mountains completely covered in snow like that or should there be more rock? Anyways, just a very amateur opinion. A very nice painting.

SunsetSue
04-17-2007, 05:31 AM
Thankyou Katie. Thanks Brian, we have mountains all around us here and it is amazing how they look sometimes. The snow depends on the time of year and can linger on the mountains well into summer, depending on the altitude, some mountains maintain their snow all year. I remember the first time I saw mountains they were so pretty pinkish purple in the distance and then up close they were just rock covered with trees!! was I ever disappointed!! Now I appreciate all their glory.
_____
Sue

tonyjazz
04-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Sue, I enjoy this painting. Have you ever tried doing mountains with a palette knife? It works wonders and gives it a " rocky " effect.

plec
04-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Sue good piece the bison really look at home .
Regards, Ken..

WILT
04-22-2007, 01:53 PM
I agree with the shadows for the bison -- pin the blighters into the 'scape!

and may i suggest that some of the nearer shadows in the hills be browner or greener too help with aerial perspective.

Otherwise, I like the composition there's nowt wrong with it lass!

WILT

amaze_1101
04-22-2007, 04:02 PM
The animals look great and it's a very nice work. The problem with the composition is that the bushline is too close to the centre of the painting.

In most cases regarding composition the 1/3 - 2/3's rule needs to apply. If I was cropping this I would leave the sky and crop a little off the lower area, bringing the bushline into the horizontal 1/3 line. The placement of the cattle works better also by cropping the left side a little and also cropping out the far right hand tree. The cattle then sit at the vertical 1/3 line. This is called 'The Golden Mean' and can probably be explained better if you do a google search on the subject.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2007/41055-bison.jpg

I can see you have done this on a canvas so cropping is obviously out of the question for this painting, but the info might be useful when doing future work.

SunsetSue
04-23-2007, 01:28 AM
Thanks Tony. Yes I have done mountains with the palette knife and I think I would have done better using it again here. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks Ken. Thank you too Wilt, I have added the shadows under the bison and what a difference it makes. Many thanks Elaine, I think I understand this now. I will try to work my composition out better before I start painting, I have a tendency to get an idea and just start in without laying it out and making sure it works.
_____
Sue

Andun
04-23-2007, 04:44 AM
Hi Sue:)
While I like the whole painting ...the grass and river in your foreground are my favorites parts.They look soooooo real.Nice work;)

purplepansey
04-23-2007, 08:51 AM
i like it Sue and also like the way you've overlapped some of the animals instead of them individually. I love the scene a lot but,
I agree with Carol about the mountains. I think they are too "white" bringing them into focus more rather than pushing them back.

SunsetSue
04-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks Tony. I appreciate your comment. Thank you also Purple. I know what you mean about the mountains, I will see if I can adjust the color without ruining the whole piece.
_____
Sue

bionicanaconda
04-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Sue, Hi.
I like the composition as is. Personally wouldn't crop the sky. I think your clouds are nicely formed and fluffy. Sorry to contradict but I'd leave the mountains alone also. Yes The bison could have a shadow IMHO. Oh, forgot to say, I love the painting.

SunsetSue
04-25-2007, 10:50 PM
here is the picture with the added shadows. I decided to leave everything else alone as the shadows just seem to add that little extra that was missing and grounded the herd. Thankyou Stephen, for the wonderful comments.
_____
Sue
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2007/10094-Bison_Creek_with_Shadows.jpg

Chiers
04-26-2007, 03:25 AM
I like this. I like the big sky too but agree the bison need some shadows for grounding. Good job.

SunsetSue
04-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks Chiers. I appreciate the comment.

pinups
04-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Very nice,
my only comment would be that I would like to see some separation in between the layers of mountains to create some depth. I think you did a great job of the foreground and can't wait to see what you will show us next.

SunsetSue
04-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks Les. Comments like that really help to keep me painting. I really appreciate all the help, it means so much more coming from other artists.
_____
Sue

edtree
04-27-2007, 08:24 PM
:wave: I like your painting very much, Sue! Love the bison especially! They make a nice contrast to the golden grasses and a great compliment to the trees and mountains. Everything looks very natural and peaceful. I'd say this is a very successful piece! :D

Elizabeth

SunsetSue
04-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Thankyou Elizabeth, I appreciate your comments. It looks great all framed and ready for my exhibit in July. My hubby really likes this one.
_____
Sue