PDA

View Full Version : What subjects hold no interest to you?

Linee
04-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Recently we talked about what we like to paint. What don't you like to paint?

I appreciate flowers, and paintings people do of them, but have no desire to paint them. Same goes for Still Life. I also don't have a great interest in painting animals, although I plan to do a series of my 3 pets: 2 cats and a dog.

A side question: do you feel like you "should" paint things you're not interested in? For what reason?

jan409
04-13-2007, 09:32 PM
I have been, told by Jerry Yarnell, it is good for an artist to paint something they are not interested in because it makes them a more rounded artist. And everyone learns for each painting they do. If you paint only what you like you get in a rut. I like to paint landscapes. I don't like to paint people, I like to paint animals but I can't so I try every once in a while. I didn't like still lifes but have found I do after doing a few. I want to paint street scenes, but have not tried very many. Jan

bushma'am
04-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Still life. never have, never will.

And people portraits are beyond my ability.

bushma'am
04-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Urban scenery too is taboo.

Phantelope
04-13-2007, 09:41 PM
still life and animals. I do have to do more of both, I'm taking a class that covers still life and I sure learned a lot doing them. I'll never hang them up, but they are very good to learn about composition, values, shadows, all that. And - funny enough - after a while they are fun to paint. I'm thinking about doing a couple based on recipes of food I love, has the benefit that I can then cook and eat the things I set up :D

I love animals (live and on my plate) but have little interest in painting them. As part of a scene yes, but not as subject. I rather practice nudes :)

Thomas Greaves
04-13-2007, 10:08 PM
I have never enjoyed portraiture...which is strange because it's something i am proficient at. It's also where most of the bread and butter money is to be made as an artist.
I also refuse to paint mundane, arbitrary landscapes, or anything else which will not give me the freedom to express some form of passion. I guess that rules out super-realism too.

mseymour
04-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Pet portraits.

idylbrush
04-13-2007, 10:23 PM
I always try to challenge myself and paint things I am not fond of and now and again in a color I am not fond of. I think it helps me overcome some of my fears, strengthens me as a painter and teaches me that I may not dislike things as much as I first think.

hoofty
04-13-2007, 11:07 PM
People, but I plan to force myself to practice more even though I will have to work on getting in the right mood to do so. Otherwise, I like to paint just about everything else.

Keith2
04-13-2007, 11:22 PM
I like looking at still life and abstract paintings, yet I don't enjoy painting them. With still life, I can never make an interesting composition.

As for abstract painting I've tried it plenty of times. I've no idea in my mind of what I should do and I struggle to paint shapes and colours on the canvas. When I've finished I don't like what I've done because it doesn't satisfy me. So with a sigh of relief I've recently decided not to try any more abstract painting.

Bill_E
04-13-2007, 11:43 PM
I like paintings that tell or at least imply a story, narrative if you prefer. The subject can be almost anything. What doesn't energize me are portraits (people or pets) and still life that are not in some sort of context. I enjoy seeing what others have done of this sort, but it doesn't get my creative juices flowing. That said, I do some studies and assorted sketches of these kinds of things to develop skills.

Lady Carol
04-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Portraits don't thrill me. But I have been considering a series of portraits, so I guess they don't thrill me as little as I thought. I am on the fence with it, so it may be a while until I do any.

Jabberwockie
04-14-2007, 12:50 AM
I really dislike landscapes. They're so boring.

connievanwinssen
04-14-2007, 03:31 AM
I like organic forms. So I usually don't do buildings (unless ruins), Also I'm not fond of still lifes (unless very unconventional still lifes).:(
Another thing I will never ever paint is magical realism. I totally dislike that.:mad:
On the other hand: 10 years ago I said that I would never do a painting using all primary colours (or two of three of them) together. And now look what I paint!!:wink2:

timelady
04-14-2007, 06:16 AM
I have painted almost everything. Portraits, figures, still lives, abstracts, landscapes, seascapes, buildings and castles, flowers. :) I kinda like everything but my passion is of course for my seascapes.

Howard has a good point about colours - that's probably more of my avoidance practice. Warm colours don't click with me much. So while I use magenta, umbers and siennas they are as undercolours or highlights for my overall blue, green, grey, lavender paintings. Every once in a while I do a 'warm' painting to throw into the mix but generally it's a battle. Saying that though I *never* used green until a couple years ago. I put it down to my obsessive side, I tend to focus on a small set of similar colours for a while (I only did purple paintings for about 3 years!). Now I can't seem to not use green! But it took finding Golden's sap green to get into it. Perhaps one day I'll have a 'warm' colour period. :) I doubt it, but never say never.

Tina.

timelady
04-14-2007, 06:16 AM
I have painted almost everything. Portraits, figures, still lives, abstracts, landscapes, seascapes, buildings and castles, flowers, even pet paintings in a way (not animals but I had a good niche in robot dog portraits for some years ;)). I kinda like everything but my passion is of course for my seascapes.

Howard has a good point about colours - that's probably more of my avoidance practice. Warm colours don't click with me much. So while I use magenta, umbers and siennas they are as undercolours or highlights for my overall blue, green, grey, lavender paintings. Every once in a while I do a 'warm' painting to throw into the mix but generally it's a battle. Saying that though I *never* used green until a couple years ago. I put it down to my obsessive side, I tend to focus on a small set of similar colours for a while (I only did purple paintings for about 3 years!). Now I can't seem to not use green! But it took finding Golden's sap green to get into it. Perhaps one day I'll have a 'warm' colour period. :) I doubt it, but never say never.

Tina.

marionh
04-14-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm the opposite of Tina. I don't like using muted colours. When I try I always find that the strong colours creep in! As to subjects I find that pet portraits leave me cold.

Jackie339
04-14-2007, 07:57 AM
I'll never do a lighthouse painting, I love animals but have no desire to paint them, unless I get a commission. Not fond of traditional landscapes because I'm not very good at it.

Linee
04-14-2007, 10:25 AM
This is interesting. It shows how differently wired we are.

Hmmmm...maybe I'll try a Still Life, as long as it is in some sort of context, as Bill mentioned, like my grandma's old gravey bowl or something.

bionicanaconda
04-14-2007, 11:08 AM
I don't think I could bring myself to paint cars, cycles and sporting events, traditional icons, waterfalls, and female nudes.
That's just the way my brain's wired.

flyingchai
04-14-2007, 11:22 AM
I've had zero interest in painting cars or people.

Taurus41
04-14-2007, 11:33 AM
I love my children, and love my dogs... but to paint them.... too boring.
But Ithink my pet hate .. something I will never do.. and dont like looking at .. is babies. They are sooo... sort of... not with it. Know what I mean??

Tz

aszurblue
04-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Portraits and too far out abstracts, that I can't understand are the two that come to mind that I don't do.. I will draw or paint( or try to) anything that I like. I will try anything at least once. I love paintings that tell a story or ones that have a outstanding center of interest. I am very much a color person and enjoy using all my colors. Because I paint only for myself, not for income, I do what I like, just about anything is fair game. Every now and then I will take on a commission, but not often. Azure

Phantelope
04-14-2007, 02:36 PM
I do similar things as Howard in my current class. I love to paint large, so I force myself to use max 9x12, sometimes limit the colors before I begin and sometimes limit the number of brushes too. I'm not so much concerned with the outcome for these, as I am for what I can learn by using different approaches. And the small size helps with storage :-)

Oliver

SunsetSue
04-14-2007, 03:45 PM
I will paint almost anything but nudes and abstracts are not interesting to me, well, not painting nudes anyway!! Perhaps it is my intense shyness that inhibits me. I think I just do not understand abstract, so perhaps some time, I should look into it. Improve my mind a little.
_____
Sue

gaykir
04-14-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm not at all fond of landscapes - unless there is a lot of water involved. I love florals and portraits. I love musicians and dancers and somehow I enjoy doing fruits & vegetables.

gnu
04-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Figures for me, holds no interest, yet I CAN appreciate good use of line... perhap if I did it would be kept for me. Pet prtraits don't thrill me yet I can probably do them.
aside from that try anything, I really want to prtray speed and have a hankering to do racing cars, yatchs(racing) and also always love to do shiny things, so would not rule out motorbikes either. :0 A commission made me tack in a different colour direction, so now I won't rule out certain palettes either....

Catkin
04-14-2007, 05:12 PM
I have no interest in painting most forms of transport - cars, trains etc - maybe because I don't drive and I find the subject boring in real life. I don't really like to paint portraits either but that's probably because I'm useless at faces and figures :lol:
Sharon:cat:

Charlie's Mum
04-14-2007, 05:22 PM
I've found my subject matter has changed over time!
I really enjoy Still Life painting - but that's a technical thing I think, setting challenges.
Have never beed drawn (ouch!) to painting cars or other kinds of transport! But, seeing Bobbo's paintings of cars and speed and crowds, must say he inspires me!
Other than that, I'll try just about anything!
Edit - lol, we xposted Sharon - you too about cars eh?

CamiTampa
04-15-2007, 01:02 AM
Abstracts, love to look at them, can even see them in my head, but just can't seem to paint them.
Cami

fayre
04-16-2007, 04:47 AM
Still life and landscapes dont appeal to me. I really am enjoying the 'Different strokes' thread because it makes a challenge of a subject you would not normally tackle.
Faye

Tiasa
04-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Pet portraits will never been seen on my easel. It never even occured to me to do one. Nudes are the other thing I have never thought of doing.

I have thought of doing flowers, but I really don't like them. I love the shading, the blending, and the colors, but in the end, flowers all look alike to me.

jocelynsart
04-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Mine are: Flowers, boats, light houses, and detailed birds.
Love looking at other's birds and flowers but can't generate a desire to paint them.
Jocelyn

howyadoin
04-16-2007, 10:18 PM
I keep thinking of subjects I could rule out. The first thing that came to mind was portraits, till I remembered I just did one of Frankenstein's monster a couple months ago. Then I thought of flowers, till I remembered the calla lillies I put on my sister's wedding invitations.

About the only thing that still comes to mind is babies.

Vulpine
04-16-2007, 10:59 PM
I have thought of doing flowers, but I really don't like them. I love the shading, the blending, and the colors, but in the end, flowers all look alike to me.

I know what you mean. I paint florals quite often because I do enjoy the process, but once I finish and view the results, the thrill fades rather quickly.

Vulpine
04-16-2007, 11:10 PM
I don't particularly enjoy painting lifeless subjects, like buildings, cars, and such. I much prefer living subjects, or at least organic to a degree, like a wooden chair for instance. Actually I do enjoy painting certain types of buildings, castles and cathedrals to be specific; stone masonry is a delight to paint.

While I enjoy viewing landscapes, I hesitate painting them, since I do so poorly. And as for nudes, I don't enjoy the female form nearly as much as the male form.

shayoa
04-16-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only person who can't figure out warm colors. I've been making myself play around with them more, but it never just flows out naturally and freely like my blue/green stuff does. I think I could paint blue and teal forever.

My mom painted portraits, flowers, animals, etc. Those things make no sense to me whatsoever. It's not that I don't like looking at paintings of those things - in fact, I find them fascinating. I just don't think my brain computes anything 'real.'

If I sat down to paint my dog, I'd end up with a blurry blue mass and then paint glow stars over it. :p

shayla

Café LoLa
04-17-2007, 04:10 PM
For me, what I don't like painting is what I have the most difficulty painting. For example, painting people are difficult, as well as landscapes. It doesn't necessarily mean I have no interest in painting this. It just means that I chicken out on trying to paint these, and just stick with my "safety zone".