PDA

View Full Version : One with the river

jollypainter
04-13-2007, 01:13 PM
This is my first posting on the acrylic site. This is done on a 16x20 canvas. It is from a snapshot of the Merced River in Yosemite National forest Calif. I added more rocks and the fisherman to break up the straight on view of the water. I have been painting off and on for years. Just started up again. I use to paint in oils but clean up was such a mess. C & C welcome.

Jon
04-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Welcome to the Acrylics Forum! :)

I like the action you captured with the fly fisherman. The whole painting
has a gently feel to it. Thank you for sharing.

Charlie's Mum
04-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the forum Jolly!
I like the trees in this very much - they're good.
I doubt if you would see the line, at that distance, in such detail - maybe where the light catches it a touch here and there.

I feel your rocks are not quite so successful though - a bit like cut-outs - perhaps grouping them with smaller rocks would help,
the reflections too would be much more broken with a flowing river.

But yes, sky colour and blending are good as is the regression of the land on the left ........ like those trees though :D

Come back with more - keep on painting :thumbsup:

jollypainter
04-13-2007, 07:51 PM
thank you for helping with the rocks and the water. haha i kinda of did just paste the rocks in at the last moment. I think you are right I should have put some smaller rocks and made the reflections of the rocks not so clear. I'll get back in the groove here pretty soon. thanks again.

jan409
04-13-2007, 09:36 PM
I like you picture very much, maybe a little movement in the water, and the rocks could use more highlight. And as grouped with smaller rocks. I love the colors you have used and it is a very calming painting. Keep up the good work. There are many talented people here and they will help you. Welcome. Jan

debee
04-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Welcome. Nice painting...I do agree that the rocks could use some work?

dreamz
04-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Hi Jolly! Welcome to WC:wave: I'll wait for an update b4 commenting further on the rocks:lol: altogether a very attractive painting

jollypainter
04-13-2007, 10:46 PM
I find acrylic's dry duller and a bit darker. Is there a way to fix that? I highlight and highlight and it still looks like it not hightlighted enough by the time it dries. I don't use any mediums I lighten with gesso would the white acrylic paint work better?

SunsetSue
04-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi Jolly Welcome to WC! I agree with Maureen and Jan, you have a lovely start here. I look forward to seeing an update with the changes.
_____
Sue

TxAggieDarlin
04-14-2007, 10:21 AM
I find acrylic's dry duller and a bit darker. Is there a way to fix that? I highlight and highlight and it still looks like it not hightlighted enough by the time it dries. I don't use any mediums I lighten with gesso would the white acrylic paint work better?

I find that too. I would like to see the answer to this one as well ;)

I like your painting and I do think you got good advice on the rocks. It is very peaceful.

Lady Carol
04-14-2007, 10:24 AM
It is the inherent nature of acrylic.

Once you are finished painting and it is dry, brush on two layers of gloss glazing medium and it will bring back the luminosity of the colour. Then, when that is dry, varnish.

jollypainter
04-14-2007, 01:51 PM
I worked on the rocks and the river and a bit on the fly line. I hope this looks better. I'm beginning to feel that I am piddling too much and it is going to look overworked. I will try the medium and varnish when it drys. Thank you for all your help. C&C welcome on this finished one and to help me with the next landscape.

jollypainter
04-14-2007, 01:53 PM
By the way,I don't think my camera or the scanner is helping it any.

SunsetSue
04-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi Jolly, most of us have trouble getting the pictures right, me for sure!! I like the changes, it is such a pretty setting. Could the middle ground rocks be a bit too large? Definitely some smaller rocks added in would help. Keep up the good work.
_____
Sue