PDA

View Full Version : The Road Home

SunsetSue
04-12-2007, 07:12 PM
This is 16 X 20 on canvas. I do not like the tree on this one but am not sure how to fix it. Any suggestions would be welcome. Also the 'direct on' view of the buildings is not pleasing to me.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2007/10094-The_Road_Home.jpg

Katie D
04-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi Sue,
I love the feel of this one, and think the straight-on look gives it a folk art feel that I find very appealing. It makes me wish I was driving in the driveway!

dreamz
04-12-2007, 09:08 PM
I really like the coloring in your sky, the mountains and meadows, all are very pretty. A few points I see are that the house and outbuilding look to be the same distance away yet the doors and windows are different scale. The tree and mailbox also appear to be on the same plane and I think that's throwing the tree off, also adding some darker foliage may help pull it together. I added a bit more foliage to the tree as well, but I'm not sure if that helps or not.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2007/78160-path.jpg

Lady Carol
04-12-2007, 11:13 PM
The building straight on looks to be plonked on. A few shrubs in front would help to soften the transition between the house and the path.

pinups
04-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Hi,
I agree with Dreamz, that the tree and the mailbox are on the same plane and yet almost the same size. I also find that the mailbox is competing for attention with the building behind it. The path going between the buildings doesn't vary in value and I find that tends to flatten out your depth of field. Should there not also be a path to the front door of the house on the right? I hope I am not too critical and maybe this might help a bit.

Finzy
04-13-2007, 04:02 AM
The sky and mountains are great, but the middle and foreground don't seem to relate to the background. Perhaps some darker shadows on the tree and fading of the path as it recedes is needed? Just a thought.
Cheers

idcrisis55
04-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Sue, you have some lovely things going on in your painting. The sky is so well done. I like the softness of the mountain range very much which has a nice sense of distance to it. What throws the foreground and midground off to me is the mail box. The mailbox looks too large too me when compared with the height of the foreground tree and the buildings in the midground. I think it is partly because the mailbox is almost the same size as the buildings.

TxAggieDarlin
04-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Well, it might be a very small tree......I like this very much.
I think you did an excellent job on the tree.
The only thing I "might" do is as the sun is either going down or coming up behind me, is darken in front of the barn, house and some on the road...The tops of the tree might be lighter than toward the bottom.
Might try it digitally first to see if that makes a difference.
Really pretty work

swampborn
04-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Sue,
As always I love the softness of your work. The colors are beautiful! I do think the mailbox may be a little too big, but who am I to say as I am only a beginner.
Gail

Charlie's Mum
04-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Sue, working down from the top of your painting, it's excellent until you get to the levels of the buildings! It's almost like two separate paintings :D

Squint your eyes and see which bit is the strongest - yes, the path - but it defies distance by being the same all the way back! Needs to lose strength in the colour.

Ask yourself where the focal point is? Home is in the title, but the road leads to the barn?

Personally, I'd like to see the tree even taller - not heavy, but higher! It affords a great shape for you to go to town with :D
Play down the mail box - and think perhaps about having fence down to it.
Imagine how big these things would be if next to the tree - then 'move' them across the road!

You really do have so much good painting here that it's a pity the comp lets it down! But don't worry, composition is often very difficult to master and you certainly have other compensations in this. :D

Selahs art
04-13-2007, 03:47 PM
The sky and mountains are great, but the middle and foreground don't seem to relate to the background. Perhaps some darker shadows on the tree and fading of the path as it recedes is needed? Just a thought.
Cheers

agree.

Retha:wave:

SunsetSue
04-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Thankyou all for the great comments. I couldn't sleep last night so I checked out the thread and got to work on the painting. I have changed the value of the road and added a path to the house, added some shrubs in front of the barn, widened the barn doorway, deepened the color of the foliage on the tree and shrunk the mailbox. Will think about making the tree more massive and will post a pic shortly if I can make the darn web cam work today!! It looks much better already so, as usual, you were all right on with finding where the problems lay. What would I do without you all?

SunsetSue
04-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Ok, here are the changes, I just can't get the value right on the road. Any suggestions as to how to change the value after the fact, would be much appreciated. The top of the mailbox is not wavy, it is just my horrid camera. I posted the original as well for convenience in comparison. The actual color of the painting is sort of in between these two pics. (Oh, for a new camera!!!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2007/10094-The_Road_Home_redone.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2007/10094-The_Road_Home_600.jpg

idcrisis55
04-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Much better, Sue. I like the way you extended the roadway and added some grasses to the front of the building especially.

marionh
04-14-2007, 11:58 AM
The changes you have made really make the painting sing. I really like your colours.

Charlie's Mum
04-14-2007, 01:28 PM
The comp has improved I think Sue :thumbsup:

It's always easier for those of us not involved with your work to see areas which need adjusting - we're often too close to our own to see though :D

jan409
04-14-2007, 02:55 PM
I like the changes also. It is such a soft painting. Jan

CamiTampa
04-15-2007, 01:41 AM
I would make the dirt road a little bit wider in the foreground as the mailbox appears to be almost as long as the road is wide. On the tree I would have a few branches visible on top of the green leaves and not just where there aren't leaves.

Your rendering of the grass and dirt on the path is great. I do like this painting.

Cami

JamieWG
04-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Sue, what an enchanting painting! The tree doesn't bother me at all, and I'm liking the straight on views of the buildings here. It suits the style and the painting. As I go through looking at paintings by "The Masters" I see how individualized their approaches are to trees, and there is nothing wrong with your stylized rendition. What stands out to me is just the color of the road, which I think throws off the color harmony of the painting. I'd suggest adding some of those pinks into other areas of the painting, especially in the foreground grass, rocks, and a little splash on the tree trunk. Just put in enough to tie the elements of the painting together; you don't want to overdo it.

Jamie

SunsetSue
04-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I can see the point about widening the road in the foreground and adding a few branches; using a bit of the road colors in other places should help a bit too. Thanks for such great suggestions, I can always count on someone here seeing what I can not.
_____
Sue