PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite stolen tool?

Phantelope
04-12-2007, 03:42 PM
by stolen I mean something you stole from the kitchen or the garage, the workshop or basically anything you use that is not sold in an art store for making art. Of course, you may list stolen tools too, though I'd probably not do that on a world wide forum :evil:

Mine so far:

For applying paint/pastes/etc:

House painting brush
Toothbrush
plastic glue spreaders (those things with different size teeth on the sides)
squeegee (window cleaning tool, comes in different widths)
sponges

And for adding texture:
rough string
those plastic nets onions etc are sold in
burlap

There are more things in my drawers that I have yet to try, just got a tool to make fake wood grain and cool little aerosol sprayers that you can fill yourself with anything.

What's your's?

Oliver

PS: just as a note: make sure what you steal from the kitchen will never return! You don't even want to play with the risk of eating some toxic materials.

flyingchai
04-12-2007, 03:57 PM
If I'm applying coats of gesso to get rid of the canvas tooth, I use a credit card to spread the coat.
Make sure it's no longer active though. heheh.

idylbrush
04-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Plastic wrap, wax paper, freezer paper, metal flux brushes, brayers, house paint rollers, paint pads, trim pads, putty knives, screening, plastic dinnerware, snap lock plates, old dental picks (from the dentist), scalpels, gauze, zip lock bags, pastry bag and tips, turkey feathers, laser printer or copy machine, scrb brushes, and.......

there has to be more.

timelady
04-12-2007, 04:43 PM
My kitchen trolley would have to be #1. :D
My pudding bowl for varnishing.
Baking tray (originally for making flapjack!) for big watery glaze mixtures
Wall-mounted flowerpot/vase that holds all my big brushes

Tina.

fala
04-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Eye dropper for transferring water from container to palette. I put one drop on each mound of paint from time to time.
Butcher paper for palette surface.

mseymour
04-12-2007, 05:01 PM
9x13" aluminum baking pan with water in it (to lay in-use brushes in), foam plates (for pallets), paper towels (to make my own Sta-Wet pallet and to wipe brushes on)

Charlie's Mum
04-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Most of the things listed above!

I'm a terrible hoarder, so 'nuff said :D

My latest 'find' are the milk bottle tops from plastic bottles - great for holding paint in my staywet palettes both 'official' and home-made!

Anything which will make a mark for texture / impressing, scratching, dabbing.

The syringes from the dog's medication - a good alternative to the rubber dropper.

wabbitt
04-12-2007, 06:24 PM
double (hinged) 8x10 picture frame w/ glass for a pallette

film canisters (stolen from a photo department...I am 100% digital)

coffee stirring sticks make great pipettes if you don't wanna pay for an eye dropper or have a dog on medication

dreamz
04-12-2007, 09:21 PM
I think my favorite stolen/borrowed tools is the round fluffy brush I "found" in my daughters makeup.

The gesso I have is thin and paint like so I use a regular 2" brush to apply it, between coats it rests in a foam takeout container with a wet kitchen sponge ( it stays soft for a couple days)

Laser level taped to a steel ruler helps make sure horizons are straight

probably the most obvious "tool" is the found speakers podium I use as an easle

Phantelope
04-12-2007, 09:38 PM
fun stuff so far, glad I brought this up! I have yet to find freezer paper, I've looked just about everywhere. Is it any different from wax paper?

I'm afraid I'll be out shopping by the time this thread drops down....

;-)

Oliver

dspinks
04-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Yeah, freezer paper is a little thicker and sturdier than regular wax paper. Less likely to tear when mixing your paints with a palette knife. A nice alternative is baking parchment paper.

Debra

Lady Carol
04-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Here is my list:
pliers
credit card
screw driver
awl
straight edge

With the exception of the credit card, all stolen from the garage. My hubby is so annoyed when he can't find anything and later discovers that I have it in my art cupboard.

idylbrush
04-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Freezer paper is a supermarket item in with the foils and such. Also can be found at some walmart stores. It is a paper with a plastic coating on one side and is heavier than waxed paper.

Sometimes, not very often, a butcher shop may have some.

Check this out: http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchens/en/product.asp?cat_id=1337&prod_id=1798

Phantelope
04-13-2007, 09:30 PM
thanks for that link, at least I'll know what it looks like. I can't find it in any supermarket here, nor at Target. I try to avoid Walmart but might just have to make a trip there one of these days.

debee
04-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Oooo....thanks for the tip about the freezer paper. I typically use waxed paper to cover my pallette, but freezer paper sounds much sturdier.

AtrediesNT
04-14-2007, 12:50 AM
OH...I have a "credit card" too...it's one that was blank and mailed out in a "promotion" for the bank.
I also have a basting brush and some wooden bamboo stick things, you know...skewers?
I also have an old Mascara brush.

And you know those cute little containers that you get from take away shops that hold sauces and condiments,they have a cute little lid? The ones that make great little storage containers for little mixes of paint?

Well...I don't steal them from the local Fish and chip shop. :p

Susan Borgas
04-14-2007, 02:39 AM
double (hinged) 8x10 picture frame w/ glass for a pallette

Julie the idea of a hinged pallette interests me greatly. Would you mind sharing a photo of what it looks like or pointing me to a thread with something similar? :)

White china dinner plates have found their way into my studio never to return to the kitchen. I find they make great pallettes for watercolour and acrylic.

gnu
04-14-2007, 02:47 AM
little hammer, Cake containers with lids for palette, lunch wrap, glad wrap, toothbrush, and the panes of glass out of our old kitchen cupbaords for making paint skins.

Phantelope
04-14-2007, 02:51 PM
regarding the hinged palette, I made one myself from a wooden box that came with cheap paints at Aaron Brothers. Once they they where blowing them out at $5 each, I got a couple. I removed all the paint holders and then went to tap plastics to have white acrylic sheets custom cut to fit in both sides. I glued those in with medium. I used that for oils - for acrylics you'd rather want HDPE plastic I think. The box has a handle like a small suitcase. I can paint, close it and carry it home with no problem. Very handy. Can't post a pic right now, but could do so if the above was not clear.
An other of those boxes is my brush carrier, and I'm sure I'll find use for the third one too eventually :)

yayamama
04-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Styrofoam plates for palette. If I don't use all the paint, I spray with water then turn one on top of another, rubberband them tog. or tape with masking tape.