PDA

View Full Version : Heat + Acrylics= bad?

karma kat
04-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Hey everyone. I know this is probably a stupid question before I even ask it, but I'm just wanting to make sure. You see, I'm living at home right now, and the living quarters are more than cramped. My parent's keep complaining about my "art junk" being in their way. I don't have anywhere to keep my supplies, so I was wondering if I put them in my car, will the heat ruin my paints? Is there a chance the canvas will warp? What about mediums/varnishes? I'm pretty sure that I already know the answer to this question, but since it was only going to be for a couple of months I didn't know if I could get away with it or not. I'm tired of fighting with my folks about when I get to paint, so I'm giving in, dying a lot inside and putting them away for a while. :crying:
Thanks in advance for your answers.

redtreestudio
04-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Toni...

Isn't there a friend or other family member who could take the bulk of your supplies for short term storage?

My sympathies to you...

hoofty
04-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Is there a garage? Maybe a couple of storage boxes from the dollar store? And put in your parents garage, or a friends / relatives garage? But not your car. :(

idcrisis55
04-12-2007, 02:10 PM
A car trunk in hot weather wouldn't be good for the acrylics or mediums/varnish, IMHO. I use a chest of drawers to store a lot of my art supplies. Now, if only I could find a storage place for the junk I use only occasionally. :(

karma kat
04-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Well, I do appreciate the concern. Unfortunately, my options are rather limited. I can't store anything at work because our office burned down last August and we're working in a temporary trailer, so space is tight. I can't store anything at my future mother-in-law's house until they are done remodeling the apartment that me and my fiance are moving into after he gets out of the Navy.
I think what I'm going to do is keep my paints in the plastic storage box that I have at my parent's (pretty much the only "space" I've been given), and put all of my art books in the car. What about canvas, though? Will the wood warp in the heat? Same thing with my sketchbox easel-will the wood on it warp as well?
It's just so frustrating because my parents assured me before I moved in that I could still paint and it wouldn't be a problem. I got to paint maybe once or twice, and apparently, it is a problem. I have all of these great ideas and I've been looking forward to getting my painting business up and going, but I just feel like I'm at a brick wall right now. I pray every night that my fiance will get out of the Navy soon, but all they can tell him is that he might get out between Mid-May and Mid-June. The wait is killing me!!!

Phantelope
04-12-2007, 03:59 PM
when my parents came for a visit I put all my canvas under their bed (which is usually in the garage). If your car has a flat trunk large enough for your canvas, I doubt they'd warp, the wood in the frame should be dried. Same for your easel, that won't warp unless you store it leaning at an angle or something like that. Even your paints won't be hurt by the temperature - I think. Somebody here on this forum leaves his studio alone during the summer while traveling for business I think, and it gets 100+ degree there.
You could get a car cover to pull over your car, which would create some shade and probably would help keep it cooler too.

Alternatively, there might be self storage places in your area that offer small spaces the size of a closet for not too much money. There your materials would be safe and you might even be able to go there and work on something on your easel. I don't think that would be too expensive for a couple of months.

Of course, friend's or neighbor's garage or garden shed comes to mind too, or maybe a garden storage box (like from Home Depot) could work too.

Hopefully your fiance will be home soon and all this will be forgotten!

And if you want to paint a bit, have you thought about a small pocket set of water colors? A different medium, but fun to play with, and a small block of paper and a small pocket set does not take up any space. At least you could do some studies.

I'm running out of storage room for stretched canvas, so I've been using fredrix canvas pads, real canvas on a pad. works great, takes up no space, can be stretched or mounted later.

Or maybe bribe your parents with a nice painting? You seem to do very nice work, judging from the pix in your sig.

Good luck!

Oliver

dreamz
04-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Our local self storage centers all have small spaces (5x10) for $15-$18 dollars a month. The climate controlled spaces ARE a bit more. Perhaps . looking into that as an option? With a slightly larger unit you could even set up a studio area..

Lady Carol
04-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Doc has a good/brilliant idea. Have you thought about renting storage space?

Clever
04-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Also, perhaps you could store some of your clothing? Off-season stuff? I think clothing woud fair better in your car or non-climate controlled rental space than the paints. And the idea about a watercolor field kit is great, also, if you've never played with colored pencils, they are a very fun and portable, less messy alternative for a while. I guess if you imagined yourself in art school and living in a dorm, trying to get your assignments done while remaining on civil terms with your roommate, maybe you could come up with some very space saving ideas for your stuff. Use every available space, under the bed, top of closet, add some shelves if necessary. Hope it all works out!