PDA

View Full Version : What's your preferred palette?

flyingchai
04-12-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm curious to learn some of the palettes that are used amongst everyone. Over the years mine has undergone a number of changes until I finally settled on what is predominately the Jerry Yarnell limited palette, which consists of:

Cad Red Light
Cad Orange
Cad Yellow Light
Ultramarine Blue
Hooker's Green
Brilliant Yellow Green
Dioxazine Purple
Alizarin Crimson
Burnt Sienna
Titanium White

I've also amended his palette by deleting Burnt Umber, a color I very much dislike, and adding Prussian Blue and Ivory Black.
Overall, that's 12 colors and they continue to serve me well.
What about others? Do y'all have a preferred palette that you stick with, or does it vary?

idcrisis55
04-12-2007, 02:15 PM
I have begun using the same palette as you since I took a single class with Jerry last month (hoping to get back to another class in May). I do use other colors as well depending on what I am working on though but for landscapes this palette works very well.

Einion
04-12-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm curious to learn some of the palettes that are used amongst everyone.
There are many prior threads on this subject you might like to hunt up, including a monster thread in Colour Theory & Mixing, Show us your palette colors and tell us why (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2494) begun in 2001 and still going.

Cad Red Light
Cad Orange
Cad Yellow Light
Ultramarine Blue
Hooker's Green
Brilliant Yellow Green
Dioxazine Purple
Alizarin Crimson
Burnt Sienna
Titanium White
Excluding any issues with specific medium there are a few areas on this I think could be modified to the better.

Cadmium Red Light and Cadmium Orange are quite close in hue, so there seems to me to be little point in having both; one of the commonest ideas in palette selection is to space the colours fairly evenly, to try to prevent holes in colour-mixing ability. Related to this I think a medium yellow is a must-have, which combined with the Cad Red Light would allow one to mix a perfectly reasonable version of Cadmium Orange.

Is Brilliant Yellow Green a commercial colour from a specific maker (Grumbacher?)

Is the Alizarin Crimson the real thing?

I've also amended his palette by deleting Burnt Umber, a color I very much dislike, and adding Prussian Blue and Ivory Black.
Is this genuine Prussian Blue? This is, like Ali Crimson, a very rare pigment in acrylics.

Einion

timelady
04-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Hmm...

Zinc white
Ultramarine blue
Cerulean blue
Sap green (Golden's historic)
Hooker's green (liquitex)
A golden ochre or yellow iron oxide
Golden's greys: N3, N5 and N7
Raw umber
Payne's grey

Used sparingly, but for under-layers:
Quin magenta
Alizarin crimson (a quin)
Burnt sienna
Cobalt blue
Diox purple
A violet I can't find to check it's name
Green gold

Plus tons of misc stuff of course that isn't my regular palette. :)

Tina.

blondheim12
04-12-2007, 05:11 PM
I have two palettes that I use regularly. The first is a

single primary

Cad Red light
FUB
Cad Yellow Lemon
Ivory Black
Titanium White

Split Primary Palette

Cad Red Light
Alizarin

Cad Yellow Medium
Cad Yellow Lemon

FUB
Prussian Blue

Ivory Black
Titanium White

I use these basic palettes for both my oil and acrylic work. Occasionally I will also use Red Iron Oxide, and Naples yellow
Love,
Linda

oldpaint
04-14-2007, 10:00 PM
question deleted. found the answer