PDA

View Full Version : What's IAPS like?

learningtopaint
04-12-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm nearly decided to go to Albuquerque. Can one or some of you please describe what actually happens there?

Thanks!

Bringer
04-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi,

I live in Lisbon, so I haven't the slightest idea.
But I can tell you something: today at lunch I had these codfish pastries (or how the heck one calls in english) with beans rice and they were delicious:p

Kind regards,

Josť

PeggyB
04-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Well learningtopaint, I can say IAPS compares in no way to Josť's lunch! :lol:

I've been to every single one of the biennial conventions, and each has been a little bit different in some ways and just the same in others. All are overpoweringly hectic for just about everyone. Just think of a few hundred like minded artists all in one hotel at the same time with some of the biggest names in pastel you can think of present and wondering through the crowds right along with you. Better than that, almost all of them so friendly and willing to take the time to talk to you that you can hardly believe it. Imagine a vendors' fair with almost every pastel brand you can think of wanting to see, every pastel support you want to investigate, and more pastel supplemental items than I can even begin to list here. Imagine all the trade magazines being present, all the newly published pastel books available to purchase along with the authors there to sign the book you purchase (there are designated signing times). I haven't even gotten to the demonstration and lecture part or the Thusday night social dinner that's a part of your registration fee, or the Saturday night optional banquet. Last but certainly not least in my book, all the friends you will meet from WC, all the new friends you will meet and want to meet again at future conventions. Quite frankly, I go to visit with the friends I've meet over the last 12 years, and the new friends I'll meet this time.

So I hope this has answered some of your questions. At this time, pre-registrations are closed and you will have to register at the convention on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. I hope to meet you there.

Peggy

Deborah Secor
04-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Well, I haven't been able to go to all of them like Peggy, but since they have come to my hometown often enough I've been able to be at quite a few. I'd say there's something for everyone at IAPS. They do a great job of showcasing a great variety of artists, even just at the vendor's show, and there are a lot of wonderful bargains to be had, as well. Not to mention the fact that you can see and touch all the different supplies (paper, pastels, easels, etc.) all in one room, so that you can make a better-educated decision on what to use for your paintings. And you can learn a lot in a little time just walking through the vendor's booths and watching, asking questions, and even trying things sometimes. All in all, I think it's quite worth it! Hope you come...

Deborah