PDA

View Full Version : Varnish Question

bfree
04-11-2007, 11:54 PM
I recently varnished a painting with Golden Archival Satin Spray Varnish to help even out all the glossy brush strokes from the applications of the insolation coat. When most of the uneven brush strokes were corrected, it ended up looking too dull. I want to bring some of the color back and so decided to do a coat of gloss this time. I couldn't find any Golden gloss spray varnish locally, so settled on a can of Grumbacher Gloss Varnish for oil and acrylic painting.

Can different brands of spray varnish be used together? I use different brands of acrylic paint so would the same also be true for varnish? I am trying to get this taken care of soon and couldn't wait for an online order of the Golden gloss.

Anyone have a any experiences with this? I am new to the isolation coat/varnishing part of painting as you can see.:confused:

Thanks,

Einion
04-12-2007, 04:11 AM
Can different brands of spray varnish be used together?
Hi Barbara, there's no way to be sure how one might react with another I'm afraid. They could be quite similar (even practically the same) but they might be different enough to cause a problem. You could maybe try a test on a scrap of canvas or similar, see how that goes?

If both products are removable with mineral spirits my guess is this would be fine, but I'd definitely suggest testing first. You don't want to ruin things at this stage!

I use different brands of acrylic paint so would the same also be true for varnish?
Acrylic paints are likely to be a lot more consistent from brand to brand than varnishes of this type, as there are a selection of modern synthetic resins that can be used for the latter.

Einion

timelady
04-12-2007, 06:14 AM
If the spray was Golden's MSA varnish then it can be removed with mineral spirits. Check the label. If so you could remove that first and then revarnish with the gloss.

Tina.

bfree
04-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Thank you both for your replys, Eilion and Tina

bfree
04-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Opps, I hit the post before I was ready. Now, as I was saying... Thank you both for your replies, Tina and Einion. I haven't done anything yet, still thinking about it. It may actually be easier to just continue to look for the Golden gloss rather than remove or test the Grumbacher. I know the Golden satin and gloss can be used together.

Thanks again,