PDA

View Full Version : Grapes in crystal bowl - WIP

rmc
04-11-2007, 11:50 PM
I'd been wanting to do another still life - perfect excuse to buy those rather expensive grapes...... but every time oops... they were all eaten:p :lol: so had to revert to this well painted ref from Em (mustcreate) in the RIL.
This is the first layer of colour over a tonal background using purple for the grapes and prussian blue + yellow ochre + purple for the crystal.
Still quite a bit to go to define the shape and highlights in the grapes and finish the crystal.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2007/83066-GRAPES1.jpg

idylbrush
04-11-2007, 11:53 PM
oh my, lovely work. The grapes are exquisite.

C_Line
04-12-2007, 12:07 AM
Ruth, Ruth, Ruth...how DID you do that crystal? It's perfection. Your grapes are wonderful as usual - but the bowl?! Another "gobsmack" moment! Pretty cool we both painted Muscreate's reference photos at the same time. How big is this btw?

maverick
04-12-2007, 12:16 AM
You've really captured the light in this. The crystal is beautifully done.

SunsetSue
04-12-2007, 01:22 AM
Very nice! I wish I could figure out how to do the crystal!! The grapes look so real.
_____
Sue

Jabberwockie
04-12-2007, 03:18 AM
that looks beautiful! the bowl looks amazing.

rmc
04-12-2007, 03:39 AM
Thanks guys - means a lot to me to have your vote of confidence from such experienced painters as you, Howard and Maverick.
Thanks Sue and Celeste - the crystal was done.... well.... mainly upside down:lol: Not totally intentionally - but my easel is a bit big for this small canvas 8x10in and I couldn't get it high enough. Maybe it helped too - I did grid it a bit to ensure the main angles were correct then just looked for the main shapes and then finally added in the details - sort of looked at it to check that the bits that said 'crystal - light diffraction where true'.

Also I found using a largish round tip brush with a chiseled end with paint well thinned with medium was best for making the fine lines - the brush could carry a large paint load, but was able to maintain a nice controlled edge.

I did my usual tonal underpainting, then have been glazing in the colours of the grapes seen through the crystal - I'm just finding my way here so anyone who has any suggestions will be most welcome!!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2007/83066-GRAPES.jpg

Further painting has to wait for the tiddlie winks to be in bed!!! Easter hols around here. A piccie of what we got up to this weekend - to share a bit of our lovely sunny weather with you!:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2007/83066-surf.jpg

Lulu
04-12-2007, 05:49 AM
Ruth, those grapes are mouth-watering!! and the crystal, already superb.
yes, this is a much-painted ref. pic. Em's photos are so good!
What brand of brush and size number please? and what colours are you using for the grapes now? questions questions............:lol:

Wasnt' the w/end fabulous? great photo! Got warm clothes on tonite though!! brrrrrr!

btw, we have yummy grapes going to waste here!! but the neighbours I'm sure will feast on them while we are away:)

nostalgia
04-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Beautiful! :clap:

rmc
04-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Hi Lulu - getting packed up girl??? how many sleeps to go now?We were spoilt on the weekend weren't we? - The woolies are out tonight alright!!!!
I used a flat 10, filbert 6 for the blocking in of the grapes and a round 6 - and 8 for the crystal bowl. I loaded the brush by swishing a dab of paint around in some medium so it's nice and fluid and comes off in a clean line off the tip of the brush - seems to work better for me then a liner but that's prob 'cos I'm unsure of how to use a liner / rigger brush (the brand is what they sell in the warehouse stationery :eek: )
The colours are my favs for grapes - purple madder / napthol red / vermilion and lemon yellow - they all mix gorgeously and I glaze pure colours over the top until it looks right - the highlights are usually a tint of turquoise blue / smidgeon of white if needed - I like to preserve the brightest highlights from the start rather then painting them on - never get the white on smoothly - I also use a glaze of cobalt blue to strengthen the shadows. I got these colours as a present from my MIL and they are Jo Sonja brand - and they are a lot more fluid then my other acrylics - so perfect for glazing.

Thanks Nostalgia and Jabberwockie:wave:

Lulu
04-12-2007, 07:01 AM
2 more sleeps, and I'd better get to bed!!! lol

Thanks for that info, must invest in some more Jo Sonja's.

amurphy
04-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Ohhhh My This is wonderful. Your grapes are delicious but the crystal........Fantastic work.

C_Line
04-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks for sharing the specific details about turning canvas upside down & brush type/size. Good to remember about the upside down part because it certainly changes the way one sees.

swampborn
04-12-2007, 11:07 AM
The grapes look good enough to eat but the crystal is awesome.
Gail

idcrisis55
04-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Adding my kudos as well. It looks so lovely. :)

hoofty
04-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Wow! The grapes were worth the price:) This is beautiful, really well done.
The crystal is fantastic too :clap:

amaze_1101
04-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Any chance you can bring this down to ChCh next month Ruth? I'd LOVE to see it and get a good look at that crystal. After seeing this thread I am quite inspired now to paint this same ref pic. I've had it saved on my PC for ages (Em is one of my favourites!) but each time I look at it, that crystal puts me off and I think "nah too difficult." I am such a chicken!:o I can learn from you. Pretty pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?? :angel:

There's no other way of saying it Ruth. You are an inspiration to me. I have seen you grow from a complete novice to one who could quite easliy teach in a matter of 6 months. I've never seen anyone move so fast. You're simply amazing! :clap:

rmc
04-12-2007, 04:44 PM
ELAINE!!!!!! you are such a sweetly - moi an inspiration to my great inspirer!!!! that's such a compliment:wave:
Thanks for the kudos Anne, Hoofty, Swampborn and Amurphy:wave:
Here we are nearly at the finish line - will do final touch ups hopefully after work today
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2007/83066-GRAPES2.jpg

Katie D
04-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Gorgeous! I love grapes, and that bowl is perfect for them. Wonderful work.

TxAggieDarlin
04-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Not much left to say. They said it ALL!! It is going to be a beautiful piece of art!

Nitsa
04-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Looking fabulous! :clap:

This image was the first serious painting I ever did in acrylic, there was a project in the forum back then and I felt it would be a good way of getting started...until I noticed the crystal, backlighting, highlighting :eek: LOL!
My Effort (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=44282)and all other participants (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/browse_final.php?proj_id=402)

Perhaps you could upload your piece into the project when you're done...I believe it's still open! ;)

Margaret 59
04-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Super duper, Ruth. I'm so envious!

C_Line
04-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Absolutely beautiful, I love how you bring glimpses of light between the grapes with the touches of blue. Elaine's right - you truly have worked hard and accomplished amazing results in a short period of time. Bravo! Sorry, but I don't think I'll be painting crystal anytime soon...gotta keep what little sanity I have left!!!

flyingchai
04-12-2007, 10:45 PM
That crystal is astounding. I'm in awe of your skill!

rmc
04-13-2007, 02:26 AM
Thanks flying chai, Celeste, Margaret, Aggie and Katie.
Thanks for the link Anita, your version is so gorgeous - congratulations on that one- it has your trademark sensual touch!!!!!
Ummm - I never really gave the crystal that much thought - this is the second time I've painted glass - but relied on what I remembered of Anita's tutorial of painting glass

debsn2paintn
04-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Ruth- that crystal is amazing looks real, awesome job on this! Love the glow on the top grapes too!

rmc
04-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks Debs-
I think I am finished now (- have been brave and made up an ongoing grape / crystal like pattern to go around the edges of the canvas - this is gallery wrapped) I've tweaked a few areas so it looks better from close inspection and now I am moving on to my next one:lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2007/83066-GRAPES4.jpg

Linee
04-14-2007, 04:39 PM
I thought your first posting was the reference photo!! The final is simply breathtaking!! :eek:

amaze_1101
04-14-2007, 06:11 PM
YOU SO ROCK RUTH

CamiTampa
04-15-2007, 12:58 AM
Ruth,
Talent? Skill? You've got plenty of both. I'm impressed.
Cami

rmc
04-15-2007, 08:02 AM
Elaine !!!! - thanks for all your encouragement - will bring this down to show you in May!!!
Cami - maybe it's just obsession - or addiction to painting - I live for it.....what ever did I used to do before? (ummm - housework;) )
Linda - at the rate you're going you'll be passing me soon!

idcrisis55
04-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Beautiful work! :)

Te_Wheke
04-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Lovely Work.

I especially like the way you handled the translucent glow of the grapes, the crystal bowl is also very nicely rendered. They do compliment each other well.

You have some highly developed skills for not only rendering what you see, but of observation as well.

Congratulations on a rather sublime still life! :thumbsup:

gaykir
04-15-2007, 01:32 PM
This is really an amazing work. I love it. Just can't imagine how you do this!

Linee
04-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Linda - at the rate you're going you'll be passing me soon!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, right! But, thanks anyway. :p ;)

Charlie's Mum
04-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Gorgeous!
You've handled that crystal extremely well Ruth and the grapes are so believable .... I can taste them :D :thumbsup:

rmc
04-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Gosh, Thanks Maureen, Ann, Te Whare, and Gayle - it was quite fun to do - alternating with the school holiday madness of sleepovers, etc - we have up to 10 children running madly around the house (I just thank God the kids have made new friends yet again)

debee
04-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Well done. The crystal is beautiful and the grapes are lovely in their realism.

Elaine B
04-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Exquisite - extremely well done! I'm jealous - our temp at Easter was in the 30's - colder that at Christmas! Something's not right here!

veedubya
04-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Gorgeous work.

rmc
04-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks Virginia, Debee and Elaine - glad you like it!!

Kerch
04-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Wonderful painting. The crystal is amazing!

Andun
04-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Ruth:)sorry to join this so late.(Sickness) but your painting is magnificent and the crystal bowl is a stunner!!!!

rmc
04-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Hiya Tony - se you've not been on holiday but unwell - hope you're on the mend:wave:
Thanks Kerch

Andun
04-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Thank you Ma'am:) It is good to be back too!

bowerbird
04-16-2007, 02:01 AM
Well i am so inspired that i am off too find that crystal bowl i have lurking in the cupboards somewhere and will take it up to the studio !!:)