PDA

View Full Version : Mountain stream (x-post from landscapes)

Bill_E
04-11-2007, 07:20 PM
This is a quick work I did from a photo I took a couple of years ago. I took a number of 'liberalities', but that's the fun of painting right :)

I've been watching the number of small quick pieces being done and figured I should try it. I usually spend a lot of time on a painting and the idea of giving my self a short time limit, limited pallet and a small surface is very uncomfortable, but I figured I should try.

Anyway I spent about 1.5 hours last night working fast and gave my self a 30 min and a 15 min period today to refine. (Was only going to be 30 min, but I couldn't help myself...I had to come back to it).

8x10 acrylics on canvas panel
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2007/103224-Mountain_Stream_-_quick_8x10_wcp.jpg

xpost - landscapes

mollynix
04-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Wow...that is really beautiful...30 minutes! The water is fabulous..the whole thing is! Molly

Lady Carol
04-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Loose. I like it. It feels really natural and not contrived in any way. The colour scheme works well.

dspinks
04-11-2007, 09:39 PM
I think you spent exactly the right amount of time on this! This is wonderful - moody and atmospheric. The background trees and water are especially well done.

Debra

dreamz
04-11-2007, 10:04 PM
You have to love a quickie.. especially when they turn out this well!

Bill_E
04-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the generous comments.

Wow...that is really beautiful...30 minutes! The water is fabulous..the whole thing is! Molly
Sorry if it mislead you Molly, but if you add it all up is 2 1/4 hours. :)

I think you spent exactly the right amount of time on this! This is wonderful - moody and atmospheric. The background trees and water are especially well done.
Thanks Debra. I have a hard time 'finishing'. It was actually not bad after one hour. The other hour was spent fixing what I should have left alone :eek:

Loose. I like it. It feels really natural...
Thanks Carol. I have a tough time painting 'loose'. I love it in other people's paintings, but find it hard to let go and let it happen. Part of this exercise was to force it by working small and limiting the time I would spend on it. I think I'll keep pushing myself this way for a while before I tackle the other larger works I have planned.

Thanks dreamz. Yeah it was fun.

idcrisis55
04-11-2007, 10:33 PM
This lovely and the greenery is looks really good. My favorite area though is the water and that shore line.

Wassie
04-12-2007, 02:33 AM
I like this very much. Somehow I always think I have to have a sky painted in a landscape. I'm going to keep looking at this to remind myself that I don't always need the sky. :heart:

jan409
04-12-2007, 04:14 AM
Very good. I love the water. Jan

plec
04-12-2007, 04:30 AM
Excellent piece of work, I like the way you have handled the tonal range with this one, so much green could have been a real killer but it works really well, congratulations.
Best wishes, Ken.

swampborn
04-12-2007, 11:09 AM
The greens are so nice and the water is lovely.
Gail