PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Color Theory on my painting

Stefan
04-29-2002, 09:15 PM
I am working on my second painting and its an attempt at a portrait.
the figure is done with different values of pthalo blue.

So the figure turned out very dark blue with black coloring also....

Now I am trying to visualize the background... but I am having trouble since I have no schooling whatsoever. I have no knowledge of color theory yet.

I initially was going to do the background in pthalo blue and black to stay with the color scheme but now I am curious whether I shouldnt be throwing a little more color into the painting.

If I do go with adding color... I am not sure what colors I should be using with the current colors.
Could someone lend me some knowledge/advice?
:confused:

blkros
04-30-2002, 08:14 AM
It's really hard to tell without seeing what you've already done, but you might want to add some reds and greens. If you have a way to scan the painting or take a picture and post it, it might help some. I like alizarin crimson with my thalo blue. Also, you don't necessarily need to add color, sometimes the monotone effect is what you are looking for.
Another thing--I find that instead of using black with the thalo, that, if I mix it with alizarin, it makes a nice rich 'black'. (Actually a dark purple) :)
I hope this helps you some.

Keith P

bruin70
05-01-2002, 12:33 AM
post an image

Stefan
05-01-2002, 05:22 PM
well this is the piece i was referring too...
im not happy with it... but im still new to this stuff so its a good learning experience.

I would love it if you would critique the color choices and maybe point me in a better direction if i need?

Stefan
05-01-2002, 05:23 PM
this is an edited version of it... it shows the colors a little better since i reduced the glare

bruin70
05-05-2002, 10:09 PM
ask yourself why you used blue in the first place. then would adding another color help. if so, then what color. play around with it in your image editor.

if you want to de-emphasize the blue add blue to the background. if you want to emphasize it, add warm colors..............but only YOU know what you want.....{M}