PDA

View Full Version : Weirdness... This one's called "Envy"

speedrolius
04-10-2007, 06:39 PM
I painted this background a while ago, not being sure what the main figure was going to be. It sat on the easel for a LONG time. I loved painting it though, once I got in the flow. This is acrylic, but I'm finding the colors are getting tougher to blend together. Is oil painting easier?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2007/84790-Envy.JPG

idylbrush
04-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Are you using any mediums. There are some rather good ones out there like extender medium and blending medium. I recently have been using a piece of cloth and extender, flow mediums and just scrubbing the color onto the surface. Just keep at it. A spray bottle of water is also helpful. Keep it wet and keep it moving and it will come around. Do it right and it can be a nearly buffed surface. I find that I simetimes need up to 8 layers of paint to get the effect I am wanting to achieve.

miracle_adkins
04-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Tremendous work! I really admire how there is this gradual explosion of color-- a well executed gradation! The pensive expression of digust on the "reaper" like form is effectively chilling. I'm really fond of this piece altogether! :)

mseymour
04-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Yes! Mediums, scumbling, glazing, whatever works.

cadub
04-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Powerful!

dreamz
04-10-2007, 09:00 PM
This one really grabs the eye, great concept and execution:thumbsup:

acrylics take some getting used to but like Howard and Seymour suggested using glazing or flow mediums and various brush techniques along with practice go a long way to making blending work.

My favorite method for back grounds is to lay down a mix of 75%glaze and 25% distilled water and then work quickly to lay in the colors

speedrolius
04-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks all, for the great advice and comments! I haven't tried the mediums available, as I wasn't quite sure how to use them. I'll give it a shot! Thanks again!