PDA

View Full Version : fixative to get heavier layer of pastel

rr113
04-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Am I right that, if I want to get a heavier layer of pastel, I can "fix" what's already there and add more?

I am using Wallis paper and want to get a very smooth layer of pastel to represent a clear, cloudless sky. At present I am having trouble because there is a bit of the Belgium Gray showing through. Pastel is just falling off. It looks great if the sheet of paper is flat, but when I raise it, I am loosing pastel. There are no other colors underneath. It's not like I've layered lots of stuff underneath. Using Rembrandt pastel.

thanks for any tips

Richard

Kathryn Day
04-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi Richard, you may just need to add more pastel and blend it with your gloved finger tips. I say gloved because wallis paper will abrade your skin if you blend too long. Blending will make the pastel into a smooth layer and embed it into the paper so less falls off. Hope this helps.

Deborah Secor
04-10-2007, 02:38 PM
I often smooth out a preliminary layer with my finger or the soft part of my palm in the sky area, and then re-cover it with a fresh layer of pastel so that it has a sparkling clarity to it. Kitty Wallis, the maker of the paper, claims you can add up to 25 layers of color, and I have no trouble believing that, so you'd have to go a ways to overfill it. However, if it's falling off you can always brush a bit away, freshen the color and then blend it.

Once you spray fixative on the paper you fill up the toothiness of it, which makes more layers harder to add on this paper. If you do use fix, make sure you use some kind of workable fix that has more texture to it. I generally hate that stuff, so I don't have any recommendation for you on the brand.

Hope that helps. :D

Deborah

rr113
04-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Very helpful. I think I have not been "aggressive" enough about blending the pastel into the paper. Now that I know it can be done, I think I'll be able to do it with my covered finger or somethingt and stay way from fixative.

Thanks,

Richard