PDA

View Full Version : My Place ( Mi Citio )

tonyjazz
04-10-2007, 10:04 AM
16 x 20 canvas board. Flowering tress abound here on the island. The instrument is a "cuatro", a ten stringed instrument I play. Worked a lot on the tree and then it just popped out. Comments welcome.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2007/103497-My_Place.jpg

jan409
04-10-2007, 10:20 AM
I love the colors in the sky. But I would lighten the hills in the back ground. This would create distance in the picture. Also some sun light on the grass in the forground. This would help create a light source. The water line, in my eyes, should be straighter. The tree and cuatro are great. Jan

Charlie's Mum
04-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi Tony - Jan has given you some good advice there.
The tree is good - though could have a more 3D sense to it - think back to front as well as side to side and use light and shade for this. ... the trunk is excellent.

The sky is fighting with your tree at the moment - needs to be simpler and the landscape needs to recede by making the foreground strong and the background much paler and greyer/bluer ... aerial perspective.
And the water would reflect the sky and surroundings but be darker usually - except where the light catches the ripples :D

eyepaint
04-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi Tony, I like where you are going with this. Jan and Maureen have some good suggestions regarding the depth and the sky.

Consider doing a second painting of a closeup of the instrument you enjoy playing, the "cuatro", resting against the bottom of the tree. Or, maybe even better, a painting of you playing the instrument with a contented expression. Then you'd have a series :)

Cheers,

tonyjazz
04-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanx for the c&c's. Very educational and positive. Will try to incorporate them into the next paintings. I have a real hard time focusing on depth, as when I paint it just comes in surges and I try to lay them down as I feel them at the moment. Colors swirling while the canvas is still WET. When it dries, I'm lost somehow. Comments about doing a series is very helpful as people here really enjoy seeing the cuatro on canvas, plus it sells! Look for yellow trees 2 I'm posting soon. Great forum, great comments & critiques.