PDA

View Full Version : Throw me a rope

talesien
04-10-2007, 02:25 AM
Thought I'd get your thoughts on this one. I just started a commissioned series of 12 pieces for the band Fort Pastor, to be used during their upcoming tour as part of their multi-media presentation, as well as in a 16 page limited edition booklet featuring all 12 pieces to be sold at tour shows, and possibly as a dual packaged piece for the full distribution of the CD.

All C&C appreciated!

THROW ME A ROPE
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2007/103962-Throw_me_a_rope.jpg

Jackie339
04-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Cool! This is something that I always wanted to do! Congrats and good luck :)!

Lady Carol
04-10-2007, 09:17 AM
A very provocative piece.

jan409
04-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Very good. Good luck. Jan

dreamz
04-10-2007, 09:41 AM
cool concept and nicely executed

talesien
04-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Jackie,

Thanks! Glad you liked it. The series is going to be a challenge, as the band is very eclectic, and covers alot of ground thematically, which is going to stretch me quite a bit.

Carol,

Thanks! That was the point:)

Jan,

Muchos Gracias

Dreamz,

Thanks for the props:)

Gary

JamieWG
04-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Gary, I like the movement of this piece a lot. I think that could be amplified by having the rope dangling about 1/3 from the right side rather than in the middle, and the upstretched hand reaching more diagonally. Also, using the darks and lights of the foreground to render the rope would help it to stand out more from the background in terms of value and contrast, as well as integrate the top and bottom halves of the painting. I'm not sure that you should do those things with this one at this point in the process, but perhaps it's something to consider for the next time around. Congratulations on a great project!

Jamie

talesien
04-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Jamie,

Thanks for the advice! I may try repainting this one with those thoughts in mind. I like them. It would be nearly impossible to do it with this piece itself, because the style that I use (multiple watercolor like washes, then each layer sealed with gloss medium) makes it nearly impossible to paint over the rope.

Gary

miracle_adkins
04-10-2007, 07:05 PM
I think you successfully conveyed how I feel everyday from 9 to 5! :) The color arrangement creates a really suspensful and dreadful emotion. The more morbid areas of the "crowd" like vague figures reminds me of viewing a really good protrayal of Hamelt at the theater. :) Awesome work.

Katie D
04-10-2007, 11:31 PM
I like this one a lot! Sounds like a fun project you're working on, too.