PDA

View Full Version : Brownish Grey

swampborn
04-10-2007, 12:19 AM
I was painting with acrylics from a step by step tutorial today. The instructions said "make a brownish grey mixture of Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine blue and gesso.
Can anyone tell me how much of each? I tried three times and the color never did look like the one in the painting.
Thanks,
Gail

idylbrush
04-10-2007, 06:12 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2007/36241-warmgray.jpg

Is this close to what you are seeking?

In my limited experience, i find that if I start with the weaker color and then very carefully add the stronger color the results seem to be better.

In this case I started with burnt sienna (a healthy dip) and then a touch of Ultramarine Blue, it wasn't quite gray enough so I added another touch of blue and it was a dark gray I then added a bit of white and got the second from top sample. I added a bit more white and got the third from top sample.

If you started with the blue, it is such a strong color that it would take immense amounts of the BSienna to overcome it.

Just a thought.

timelady
04-10-2007, 06:33 AM
I would start with the colour you want the end result to lean towards (brown). So start with the burnt sienna and slowly add the blue to it. I use my finger and smear the mixture on a bit of glass or paper to see the colour better. When the mixture is near enough the kind of brown-grey in colour only then do you lighten it with the white. So exactly what Howard said really. :D

Tina.

swampborn
04-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Howard,:clap:
That is the color I was seeking-Thanks!
Thanks also Tina for your help.
I always do things backwards and it really helps when someone takes the time to really explain something. Gail