PDA

View Full Version : Shelter

Old Tex
04-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Reference photo was from a photographer friend. This is in the Davis Mountains area of west Texas, near the McDonald Observatory. There is a bit more blue in the sky than my scanner was willing to recognize. This is cross-posted in Landscapes.

C&C welcome as always.

Gouache 5x7
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2007/100938-Shelter.jpg

Richard Saylor
04-10-2007, 12:33 AM
I love places like that. This is my favorite of yours so far. I don't think this could be done any better.

MarieMeyer
04-10-2007, 10:00 AM
You are the king of gouache greens!

dbclemons
04-10-2007, 10:42 AM
I've been out to Fort Davis and south to Big Bend. Lovely country. Do you have a camera, Ralph? You might get better results than from a scanner.

meglyman
04-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Beautiful! I love the light on the brick and how you painted that agave-tree-thing. I enjoy seeing the mountain through the shelter. The hazy white sky makes me think of the hot desert. The reds in the bricks are very nice.
Meg

Old Tex
04-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Richard, thank you! Of course, it can always be done better, but sometimes you just have to stop.

Marie, wow! Nice compliment! I keep learning and experimenting. Greens and rocks were my biggest fears about doing landscapes. I'm working on it.

David, yes, I've got a good digital camera, but I still need to get some decent lighting set up for it. The shots I've tried haven't made me happy. I think I also set the scanner for way too high contrast on this one. I'll try it again. Thanks.

Thanks Meg! I'm glad you like it.