PDA

View Full Version : Depicting Grass

natswild
04-09-2007, 02:39 AM
Anyone have any ideas on how to realistically depict grass in a large area? I'm starting a painting 30" x 48", that will end up being a donation, of a pack of African Painted Dogs...I'm wondering the best way to get the grass in properly, because I have a really bad habit of making my grass too detailed, and that's in paintings less than half the size!!

dreamz
04-09-2007, 04:13 AM
it depends on the distance, if its supposed to be far away them using multipul colors helps to give the impression of grass as you get closer you use the same colors but gradually add more detail. I like to use a fan brush, sometimes patting it down to make clumps other times using a flicking motion to add height and sometimes a liner brush to add individual higher stalks..

you can also look/ask in the landscape section

idylbrush
04-09-2007, 07:23 AM
There is a wonderful book titled Brushstroke Essentials by Mark Chrisopher Weber. On page 124 he talks about depicting grass. Certainly there are about as many ways as there are artists to do this kind of thing. Some like fan brushes and some use filberts and others use brights but the bottom line is to use what you have and make it work. If you know you are detailed in your approach you can just go with that unless it is something that bothers you a great deal in which case you can then try to do the project with a larger brush and force your hand to do something more generalized.

Jon
04-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Nitsa covered this in detail:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247018

Good luck!

idylbrush
04-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Jon, I think this request was for gRass not gLass.

Jon
04-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Jon, I think this request was for gRass not gLass.
:lol: Oh my Howard! That will teach me to read posts without my newer glasses!

Donna A
04-09-2007, 11:29 PM
The absolutely worst thing about how to paint something in particular is "how does IT look (actually LOOK) in that particular cirmcustance with that particular lighting." Grass can look about 50 billion to the 50th power different ways, depending on what kind of grass what season in what region at what time of day at what angle to the light in what weather condition. Other than that---taking YOUR painting style into consideration----it's "easy." :-)

It really depends.... Seems like the very hardest thing for so many artists it to know what things look like IRL (in real life.)

If you can, look around at some grasses in the situation in which you want to paint the grasses in your painting.

When we are painting, we are suggesting! I think that is a really important thing to keep in mind.

I'm talking more state of mind and habit/experience of looking/seeing.

Grass is hard mostly because so many are looking at it as an object rather than as shapes of color. And, as with hair, for so many----we are thinking of individual little fine 'bits' rather that as masses with large, medium and small shapes, over which light has ever so much fun playing about!

Just some thoughts to add to the others our fellow artists are sharing! Very best wishes! Donna ;-}

metalhead
04-10-2007, 02:09 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=407868