PDA

View Full Version : portrait of an artist

terence p
04-07-2007, 09:00 AM
I posted this last week in the portrait thread and someone suggested I submit it here since it is a pastel. I do most of my work in pastels and do either people or animals so tend to submit to those forums rather than here. I guess I am afraid to take up too much space on wetcanvas.
This is from a group photo I took of an artist winning the first place award at an art show. I thought that the lighting and his unassuming personality and smile would make a good portrait.
This was done on Wallis sandpaper with mostly soft pastels. It is about 12 x18 inches.
thanks for looking. Any c&c welcome.

Constellation
04-07-2007, 09:28 AM
That is a great portrait! He is such a retrospective and intelligent looking man with some of his humor showing...... it's great! Nice warm flesh tones with such a human quaility.... I really like this. Donna Roth

Donna T
04-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Wow! This is a beautiful portrait - his personality comes shining through. I like the lavender shades you used for the shadow part of his neck and face, they work perfectly with the skin tones. Please post here more often!

Donna T

JON805
04-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Terence thanks for posting this wonderful portrait. He seems to have a warm hearted friendly personality. Well done and welcome!

bnoonan
04-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Postively painterly! Do you work in oils as well? Love the lighting your light pastel strokes to capture all the planes on his face and the shadow colors below his chin.

Fabulous piece - no wonder you are winning prizes!!!! Barb

M Douglas
04-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Beautiful painting, his personality shines thru.

Melodie

lilbelle
04-07-2007, 01:23 PM
This is a wonderful portrait!!! The flesh tones seem to glow and I agree with everyone else, his personality shines through!!
Lillian

pastelist
04-07-2007, 01:49 PM
This is a beautiful portrait. I love the warm flesh tones. I also really like the fact that you shared the materials that were used. Thanks for sharing.

Bringer
04-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Hi Terence,

As always an impressive work.
Shame on you for not posting more often here :-)

Best regards,

Josť

dbjs
04-07-2007, 02:47 PM
This is really lovely!! I like it very much!!

Doris Baggett
04-07-2007, 03:10 PM
I like this immensely!

Charles Perera
04-07-2007, 06:17 PM
It is the hand of a professional....jolly good work

Charles

Tatijana
04-07-2007, 10:13 PM
after seeing this painting, I looked to see what else you posted. Your paintings are beautiful and you HAVE been hiding most of them from this forum! You should crosspost!
btw - thank you for your gracious compliment, I never liked purple before I staRTED PAINTING, AND NOW IT HAS BECOME A COLOR i CANNOT DO WITHOUT.
excuse my typing....

rain24
04-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Yes, crosspost here please...this is beautiful!

~Rain

terence p
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
thank you all for the comments. I thought I read somewhere that crossposting was discouraged so I have avoided doing it. I rechecked and I guess posting in two is ok.

bruce johnson
04-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Brilliant work Terence.. Outstanding:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

terence p
04-12-2007, 06:29 PM
thank you Bruce. Such a compiment from you really means a lot.

annj
04-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Hi terence

Thanks for sharing this absolutely stunning portrait!

I just finished a portrait yesterday, one of my very few of a human (I mostly paint animals). I nearly went insane trying to work shadows into his face that didn't turn instantly to mud.

I can see the lovely lavenders in the neck area on this portrait, but I can't quite work out the colours used in the facial shadows... would you mind talking a little about those please?

Holley
04-13-2007, 04:54 AM
You have painted this man wonderfully, his personality is shining through.
I like your colour palette too. Please xpost more!

terence p
04-13-2007, 10:32 AM
thank you Holly and Ann.
Ann, I am attaching some closeups of some of the face that might show the colors better.
I do tend to use a lot of violets and purples and sometimes overdo it and have to watch myself. In this case I think I used a rembrandt "caput mortuum red" immediately under the nose, and of course violets in parts. I also use some green in the jaw area, particularly males due to the hair growth their. The neck I often use combination of violets, greens and warm skin colors, emphasizing one or the other depending on the subject and lighting.

Doodlebug1967
04-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Terence, you truly have a gift. This is an absolutely wonderful portrait. I wish I could do that. Please, please be sure to post in the pastel forum again. It is a pleasure to look at your work.

Ronda

Paula Ford
04-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Really beautiful work!

Paula

annj
04-14-2007, 02:24 AM
Terence, thank you so much for your reply, and for taking the time to post the enlargements and your explanation. It's very instructive, and the light in your work positively glows.

Much appreciated, thank you again.