PDA

View Full Version : art of painting - like to know your opinions

dayakar
04-06-2007, 10:18 PM
We do painting. But most of the students, upcoming artists and some professionals do the painting without much thinking. Usually they concentrate more on the technical aspects or end results of painting than on the real essence of the subject. Then it won't be ' Art of Painting '. Art is an act of emotional intuition. This intuition needs the foundation of thinking. This thinking is the key to understanding. This understanding makes anyone the best in their act.

I am applying this approach with my students in my present classes. Instead of teaching what they should learn, I am discussing with them about life and whatever subject they are doing. And also a little bit about technical aspects of painting. After this approach what they are telling me is that they are doing paintings as if though they have been doing them everyday. And also that they are not feeling the act of painting
or its tools are new to them. Moreover they are telling that they are experiencing' Ultimate Meditation' through this process.

We both understood that it's happening because of thinking. They are not thinking 'How to do?' instead of that, they are trying to 'really know the subject'. This approach changed everything. Great wise people called this as ' State of Understanding or Awareness.'
I am thinking this is 'Art of Thinking.'

Thinking is character. When anyone has a habit of thinking they can become successful in their education, career and in life also. But thinking is a rare habit to most of the people.
Just think... do we think even five minutes a week?
We do things without thinking. Because we have become used to do those things through habit by years of tuning since our childhood. We don't think about the things, we do every day. That's why whenever a problem arises we will be in anxiety, tension and confusion.
Why we will be in this state of mind?
Because when a problem arises we have to think to solve it. But the problem is we are not used to the act of 'Thinking'. Thinking is the key to everything.
So I am feeling, if we want to do painting in its true sense we need the ' Art of Thinking.' Then only our act of painting can become the ' Art of Painting.'

From now on I am applying this approach with completeness in my class. I would like to know your opinions on this. I will be thankful to your time and opinions.

Creative Cricket
04-10-2007, 09:26 AM
I think it's an interesting concept. I am currently in a painting class and feel like the tools are new to me and that they're not doing what I want them to do. The professor is only teaching about the technical application. I would love to be in a class like yours instead!

zarroc
04-10-2007, 06:10 PM
I don't think so. I think constantly and that's why I'm anxious.

We both understood that it's happening because of thinking. They are not thinking 'How to do?' instead of that, they are trying to 'really know the subject'. This approach changed everything. Great wise people called this as ' State of Understanding or Awareness.'Have you ever heard or read any person call anything a "state of understanding?" Or did you just make that up?

dayakar
04-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I think it's an interesting concept. I am currently in a painting class and feel like the tools are new to me and that they're not doing what I want them to do. The professor is only teaching about the technical application. I would love to be in a class like yours instead!
Thank you for your opinion. Art and life are not different. To understand them what we need is not pure technical skills. It is 'Art of thinking'. Understanding the things are primary. Technique is secondary. Every great artist expressed this opinion directly or indirectly. Many artists, whether they are teaching or painting, somehow do not understand this simple truth. That causes frustration for the students who want to be artists. The joy what they expected in painting, they are not getting because of this.

dayakar
04-11-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't think so. I think constantly and that's why I'm anxious.

[/color][/size] I do not understand what you are trying to say. Please explain me more

Have you ever heard or read any person call anything a "state of understanding?" Or did you just make that up?
[/color][/size]
'State of understanding' means 'Knowing your subject fully'. Suppose if you want to paint a portrait of a person, instead of thinking how to do it, you better study his character. Studying character means, how he appears externally, how he thinks inside, how he responds for different situations and his cultural and economical backgrounds etc. By studying this way you know him fully. Then you know how to express his character on canvas. You call this process ' Understanding.' Then you need technique to express your understanding on canvas.
Art and Life are one. If you don't understand life you don't understand art also.

nicanfhilidh
04-11-2007, 05:26 PM
I think a well-rounded art education needs to teach both the technical and the creative. My own undergrad art education was all about concepts and we were expected to figure out how to communicate those concepts on our own time. I knew what I wanted to say but my paintings looked like crap and certainly did not say what I wanted them to. I am currently taking a course which focuses on the technical and I am starting to feel liberated for the first time in my artistic life. To each his/her own.

dayakar
04-12-2007, 12:43 AM
I think a well-rounded art education needs to teach both the technical and the creative. My own undergrad art education was all about concepts and we were expected to figure out how to communicate those concepts on our own time. I knew what I wanted to say but my paintings looked like crap and certainly did not say what I wanted them to. I am currently taking a course which focuses on the technical and I am starting to feel liberated for the first time in my artistic life. To each his/her own.

I did not say technique is not important nor did i say students have to learn technique on their own. I will try to explain this some more...
We are trying to tell some story or to convey some feeling about something on canvas. This some thing we call it 'Subject'. To communicate what we felt about this subject to the viewers is primary thing. To do this thing powerfully we need technical knowledge of art. Both are necessary. But if we don't understand the subject and if we don't have the knowledge of finding the way to understand it, whatever technical skills we acquire ...they won't work. Technical skills are only tools. These tools can be used only on 'something' to make that work. If you don't understand that something properly you will not be able to use the tools efficiently. This my experience has taught me.
Subject is like light and technique shadow. You have to learn both. One thing we have to understand....' Shadow follows light. But light never follows shadow.'
The place where you learned art or learning or going to learn, they must teach you about both. If they are not to able to teach or unable to understand this simple principle, it is a sad thing. And it can be a big frustration to the enthusiastic art student.

Blackwater Draw
04-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Well I believe there is a time for thinking before beginning the painting. While painting itself is a time for being, when technical aspects and objective thinking recede and you become one with your painting or are "in the zone," so to speak. But it takes both the technique and the thinking practice to get there.

osidianrose
04-19-2007, 12:25 PM
I use my intuition when I am painting. I use my technical skills when I step back approximately every one to five minutes. When I step back I make judgement calls. I look to see if proportions look right or if that bright orange crimson is the right shade for the background. If it isn't the right color, then I get back in front of the painting knowing my information and make well-informed intuitive judgements.

nik893
05-19-2007, 06:26 PM
I really like your concept.

Keith Russell
05-21-2007, 03:12 PM
We do painting.

Or sculpture, or writing, or filmmaking, or photography, or weaving, or design, or...

But most of the students, upcoming artists and some professionals do the painting without much thinking. Usually they concentrate more on the technical aspects or end results of painting than on the real essence of the subject.

I still think that, upon whatever one concentrates, thinking is invovled.

I believe that equal thought should be given to the conceptual, compositional, and technical aspects of art.

Then it won't be ' Art of Painting '. Art is an act of emotional intuition. This intuition needs the foundation of thinking. This thinking is the key to understanding. This understanding makes anyone the best in their act.

. . .

We both understood that it's happening because of thinking. They are not thinking 'How to do?' instead of that, they are trying to 'really know the subject'. This approach changed everything. Great wise people called this as ' State of Understanding or Awareness.'

I am thinking this is 'Art of Thinking.'

Possibly, but also perhaps not. 'Art of Thinking' could be called 'Philosophy', and while aesthetics is a branch of philosophy, philosophy is made up of much more than just aesthetics. Further, while aesthetic ideas and concepts can be applied to all areas of thinking--for example, political ideas can be expressed beautifully--they remain what they are (for example, beautifully expressed political ideas are still political, not aesthetic, ideas).

Thinking is character.

I disagree. Thought and action combined is character.

When anyone has a habit of thinking they can become successful in their education, career and in life also.

Again, I must disagree. It is not enough to think; thinking about the right things, to the right degree, in the right ways, and acting only upon the appropriate thoughts, yields success.

Sitting around thinking about anything, undisciplined, undirected--and without appropriate action--is a waste.

But thinking is a rare habit to most of the people.

Yes...and no. Most people do think, and I think they think most of the time. I also think they think about unimportant things, or don't think through their ideas thoroughly enough, and they don't choose to fully enact their best thoughts...

Just think... do we think even five minutes a week?

Again, I think people do think. I'm reminded of what Admiral Rickover said: Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss things, small minds discuss people. If, by thinking, you mean thinking about ideas (and how to enact them), then yes, most people don't think. (And, I would venture to say that the problem isn't as you've said, that most people don't think. I would wager that situation is that most people can't...)

We do things without thinking.

Actually, the more I can go through the mundane activities of life without having to think about them, the more my mind is free to dwell on other things. Why do you think it is that so many people claim to have their best ideas in the shower, or while driving, or making lunch, or just before they fall asleep?

Thinking is the key to everything.

No, thought alone is not enough. To paraphrase Aristotle, thinking is easy. But, to think about the right things, to the right degree, for the right reasons--and to act only on the right ideas--that is difficult. And only that is truly worthwhile.

So I am feeling, if we want to do painting in its true sense we need the ' Art of Thinking.' Then only our act of painting can become the ' Art of Painting.'

Actually, to do anything well, one needs philosophy; a structure to guide one's thinking, and thus one's actions.