PDA

View Full Version : View from Moore's Knob

Richard Saylor
04-06-2007, 05:57 PM
A hazy day in the Sauratown Mountains, not far from my home. This is a three-color gouache painting on gesso primed, cold pressed w/c paper, about 5.5x9.5": Prussian blue, quinacridone red, azo yellow, and titanium white.

meglyman
04-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Richard,

Beautiful painting. I love the blues you chose for the fading mountains and sky, especially the darkest blue (love that shade). The texture in the rocks is nice - contrasts well with the non-detailed foliage shapes.

It's amazing what you can do with just three colors. Do you find that a very limited palette helps bring the painting together?

How do you like the gesso-primed paper? How does the surface compare to cold press or to gesso board? Do you make it yourself?

Meg

Richard Saylor
04-07-2007, 05:52 PM
...I love the blues you chose for the fading mountains and sky, especially the darkest blue (love that shade).The blues are all simply W/N Prussian blue and Maimeri titanium white. Prussian blue is a handy color....Do you find that a very limited palette helps bring the painting together?...Yes....How do you like the gesso-primed paper? How does the surface compare to cold press or to gesso board? Do you make it yourself?...Normally I use unprimed hot press paper. Gesso makes the paper somehow more receptive to the paint. For example, the paint goes on faster and seems to cover better. I just take ordinary acrylic gesso (Golden or Liquitex), thin it a bit with water, and brush on three or four coats.

Richard

Old Tex
04-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Beautiful job, Richard. I love the rock formations.

cmwynn
04-25-2007, 09:55 PM
I have experimented some with a three color palette and am surprised how many different colors can be mixed from them. Next I will have to try using gesso primed paper - so much to learn, so little time.